Owned a used spark for 3 days until misfire

Purchased a 2013 spark with 30k miles.. Drove it on a 6 hour trip and got a misfire. Towed to a Chevy dealer and so far getting cylinder 4 failed compression! Waiting for the final word but might need a new engine?!

Only good part so far is that I love the car and all work is covered by the power train warranty but really torn on this car now.

Hi Justin,

I am very sorry for this! Please feel free to let me know if you need any additional assistance with this. I would be happy to connect with the dealership to provide any additional information to you regarding your Spark. I'm just a private message away!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

PM sent thanks!

Maybe.... But that's low miles for something that serious to happen. Just debating even with a new engine if car could last.

Not really, there are a few members here with the same issue.

The problem is from a faulty PCV valve. The service bulletin was issued a few months ago.

Either way Patsy will help you get this figured out.

Not really, there are a few members here with the same issue.

The problem is from a faulty PCV valve. The service bulletin was issued a few months ago.

Either way Patsy will help you get this figured out.

Most likely this car did not have the PCV recall done prior to the purchase at 30Kmi. It likely resulted in valves and plug in at least #4 cyl to be coated with burnt oil deposits and with the valves not seating properly and compression loss as a result. With a small VVT engine it is best practise to replace the entire head unit.

Good lesson to others who are considering a used Spark...make sure the PCV recall was done as the defective PCV does not seem to last beyond 30Kmi. before it starts sending large amounts of oil to the intake and combustion area where the #4 is first inline to burn this off. I would say that when considering a used Spark, make sure the engine idles smoothly without audible cabin noise and if the PCV recall was done. This can be checked at the link below by entering the VIN#.

https://recalls.gm.com/?evar18=GMcom#/

Edited by Retired old Gearhead