Newbie, looking at buying a Spark

I have a Chevy Silverado, and a 2003 Harley Electraglide Ultra Classic. I want an inexpensive car for commuting that is reliable and gets good mileage. I don't need anything fancy. I haven't looked at one in person yet, but they look nice on the internet.

Some of the reviews say the manual shifter is rubbery. What do people with the stick shift think?

Hi. I have a 2014 Spark LS with manual transmission. I don't think the shifter is "rubbery" what so ever. In fact, I find both the clutch and shifter quite precise . I previously owned a 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 with a manual trans, and I find the manual in my Spark to be just as nice and precise as it was in the Focus. A manual Spark makes the most of the low hp engine in the Spark....take my word on that one. And with over 10,000 miles on my Spark, it has been 100% trouble free and even blows ice cold air here in the desert during the summer. As for gas mileage, always averaging right around 40 mpg mixed driving, including 80mph freeway jaunts.

Well, the Spark has two out of three things your looking for. It's great for cummuting, cheap to buy, but is not reliable, at least not for me. The shifter is rubbery and the clutch feel is vague, like most cheap cars are, this is no Mini Cooper but more of a appliance to get from a to b. I suggest looking at a base Ford Fiesta or Hyundai Accent first. You'll probably be glad you did after you read more threads on the Spark.

have a silverado like you and got this little guy for the same reason.. super cheap (even loaded) getting 36mpg city and havent had a problem yet. I'm a Chevy guy so I had to keep it in the family, but i'm glad i did I think the spark looks way nicer than a fiesta, mirage, fiat, or fit.. and its less expensive than all of them, and has everything you'd need. I do have the cvt, cause manuals are a pain in LA traffic, plus its faster than a manual too, same mpg.

Over 10,000 miles on mine now and also trouble free. I have the CVT and it uses the power of this little engine just fine, it just has a different feel to it and once you get to know how it operates you will be zipping all over town with one. I don't think the Spark is as bad as some make out it is. Just they are pissed about the one they have and use every opportunity to tell you to look elsewhere. Remember the old saying, Those that are happy will tell 10 people but those that are unhappy will tell 100. I am very happy with mine.

Edited by Angrybird12

Having a 4 sp. auto, I can't comment on how the car shifts, but having this car for going on two yrs., I can say it's been very reliable for me. No problems, handles well in the city, or on the highway, it's not a racing car, but it holds it's own, it's comfortable, economical, and does what it was built to do. It is packed with value, for the price, and is rated the safest mini car on the road, and priced cheaper than a lot of these over priced used clunkers on the dealers lots. My only caution would be to shop for a good reliable dealership. But then, this would apply to any car, because there is nothing out there that is totally bulletproof.

Well, the Spark has two out of three things your looking for. It's great for cummuting, cheap to buy, but is not reliable, at least not for me. The shifter is rubbery and the clutch feel is vague, like most cheap cars are, this is no Mini Cooper but more of a appliance to get from a to b. I suggest looking at a base Ford Fiesta or Hyundai Accent first. You'll probably be glad you did after you read more threads on the Spark.

The Ford Fiesta has had numerous problems and it's reliability is way below average. Having said this, it is nice looking and drives nicely ( I have driven one.) And I don't know exactly what you mean about the clutch being vague? I have driven many vehicles with manual transmissions, everything from small cars to semis and the Spark clutch is actually quite precise. Shifting my Spark is fast and easy, I actually enjoy the drive train in it !!! At least to me, the Sparks clutch is anything but vague.

Over 10,000 miles on mine now and also trouble free. I have the CVT and it uses the power of this little engine just fine, it just has a different feel to it and once you get to know how it operates you will be zipping all over town with one. I don't think the Spark is as bad as some make out it is. Just they are pissed about the one they have and use every opportunity to tell you to look elsewhere. Remember the old saying, Those that are happy will tell 10 people but those that are unhappy will tell 100. I am very happy with mine.

The Spark is not nearly as bad as some have made it out to be. It is in fact a well designed, well built, dependable, economical, safe small car.Glad to hear that you are happy with yours, as I am happy with mine. My Spark has met or surpassed all of the expectations that I have had with it.

The Spark is not nearly as bad as some have made it out to be. It is in fact a well designed, well built, dependable, economical, safe small car.Glad to hear that you are happy with yours, as I am happy with mine. My Spark has met or surpassed all of the expectations that I have had with it.

I completely agree with greggb!

Like all cars, the Spark has had some issues...all fixed or fixable during warranty period. I'm fussy & was a bit skeptical when I first got the car, but now after around 40Kmi and some fast long trips (75-95mph) and driving it hard around town, I have confidence in the reliability of this unit. I like the bluetooth hands free voice activated phone link alot & find the power-train smooth and reliable. Still starts with a 'flick' of the key and idles more smoothly than any other 4cyl I have had. Uses no noticeable oil between 4,500mi oil changes. No rattles or wind 'whistles', handles very well, small size is easy to park and keep clean. Feels solid in town or hyway and has no problem cruising at 95+ with A/C on. The small 85hp engine has no problem keeping up with city or highway traffic with the 4sp. auto I have and had no issues driving for 100mi+ at a constant 90-95mph on cruise with the A/C on. I certainly don't regret this purchase as a second car and now the main car my wife and I use. The '06 Impala V8 is now used as a second car when we have the kids and their family visiting due to more passenger and luggage room.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

Please don not buy one of these turds, I have one and am so sorry, on my second engine, sat at chevy dealer for a couple of weeks to repair oil consumption, hood latch recalled---probably wear from constantly checking the oil....now at 50,000 it needs wheel bearings. All my previous auto mobile I usually got 250,000 to over 300,000 mile of use. This turd is never going to make it to 100,000

Please don not buy one of these turds, I have one and am so sorry, on my second engine, sat at chevy dealer for a couple of weeks to repair oil consumption, hood latch recalled---probably wear from constantly checking the oil....now at 50,000 it needs wheel bearings. All my previous auto mobile I usually got 250,000 to over 300,000 mile of use. This turd is never going to make it to 100,000

Sounds like you have one of those Sparks that were assembled prior to Jan.26.2013 where some had improperly fitted Oil Expander Rings on the #4 cyl resulting in cyl damage where the engine had to be replaced. Manufacture dates prior to 01/13 used a third party wheel bearing/hub where some had defective oil seals. A new supplier was used for 01/13 and later. Unfortunately it sound like you got one that had all the problem parts and manufacture issues. Hood latch is a corrosion issue where most units were assembled untreated with the 'rubbery' corrosion protection. Mine was assembled 01/13 and the only issue I've had was the PCV recall. I now have about 40Kmi without further issues.

Got my 2014 cvt back in july, haven't had any issues, knock on wood, other than hood latch recall. Over 8000 miles so far, 1 oil change. Really like driving it. Previously had a 2010 accent, almost 100,000 miles before I traded it in for the spark. Previous to the accent I had a 2001 echo; both bought brand new, but out of need, not of convenience. The echo had over 250,000 miles before it took its final poop. I hope to get many miles out of my spark, its a fun car to drive.

Sounds like you have one of those Sparks that were assembled prior to Jan.26.2013 where some had improperly fitted Oil Expander Rings on the #4 cyl resulting in cyl damage where the engine had to be replaced. Manufacture dates prior to 01/13 used a third party wheel bearing/hub where some had defective oil seals. A new supplier was used for 01/13 and later. Unfortunately it sound like you got one that had all the problem parts and manufacture issues. Hood latch is a corrosion issue where most units were assembled untreated with the 'rubbery' corrosion protection. Mine was assembled 01/13 and the only issue I've had was the PCV recall. I now have about 40Kmi without further issues.

If there is a known problem with the wheel bearing we should not to pay for them. I have already had one replaced at 37,000 miles and worry that more will fail. Is there more info about the faulty wheel bearings? I'd like to take that to my dealer if this issue present sitself again.

Thanks,

Leigh

If there is a known problem with the wheel bearing we should not to pay for them. I have already had one replaced at 37,000 miles and worry that more will fail. Is there more info about the faulty wheel bearings? I'd like to take that to my dealer if this issue present sitself again.

Thanks,

Leigh

In my opinion: I do think there is an issue with wheel bearing/hub on at least the 2013's. Hard to find info on that and the Info I have from the GM end is not conclusive. Some 3rd party suppliers of the bearings that were put into another 3rd party supplier's hubs were defective. So...I will look into this and also find out if/what warranty covers this issue. Best to contact GM (customer retention) rather than a dealer on this issue for now.

• 2 weeks later...