Advice on maintaining my car

Hello everybody!
My dad bought the first model of Chevrolet Beat in Jan 2010. It was infact the 36th car in the whole country. But, to my astonishment, he didn't use it much, if at all. He gave me the car in March this year as he was comfortable driving his other SUV.

Now about the car. The car is the 1.2l petrol LS version. no modifications. He gave me the car after having it for 4 and half years but the odo showed only 5200 km(~3232 miles). :idea: I asked if he had done a reset to the odo or had it been damaged, he just laughed and said, No, it has just not been used. I was baffled and amazed!! The car is practically new! I have recently completed 7500 km(~4650 miles) And I am worried about the Maintenance and service of the car as the average is dropping in my recent refills.

I am an automobile engineering student, so I know all about the parts and functions but I don't know anything about the practical! This is my first car and I dont know what time should be apt for servicing a car that has almost been standing for 4 years. I will give the service history below.

My experience of the car: I think the car is awesome for single person, and better than most cars for a family of 3. Styling is good, my car has a beige paint job, all black interiors. nice to drive, one of the highest mileage in this price and power range. best features for the least money. One thing that disappoints me is that being a tall person (6'1") when I adjust the seat according to my height, there isn't much room left in the already cramped backseats. Also, the reason I said this is good for a family of 3 is the boot. So Tiny. Apart from these things, I love my little chevy. Steering has a great feel to it, power assisted but gives good feedback of the road. The engine, Is preppy. Power is available from 1500 rpm and uptil 5000 (After that engine doesn't feel happy :hysterical:).

so, somebody help me with my problem and tell all that is to know towards maintaining my car so I can enjoy it for a long time!!

Service History:
No. of services- 3
1st service- Free - 700 km (~435 miles) - 9 months
2nd service- Paid - 1700 km (~1055 miles) - 2 year 10 months

Services- some square shaped filter was changed (and kept in the boot), I know it wasn't the air filter, but that too had been changed I think

3rd service - Paid - 4800 km (~2980 miles) - 3 year 5 months, (June 2013)
Services done- oil change

I will be getting a service done, but the oil doesn't look bad. No soot, no carbon deposits. just smooth. But I don't know what level it should be (above the 2 small holes on the oil checking blade? it is). I need a new air filter, current one is all covered in dust and dirt (I cleaned it on my own once :dance: )

Edited by Veer

Sounds like your dad was what we call a 'Sunday driver'..probably infrequent short trips. I would simply change the oil to a good 5w20 synthetic and of course the dirty air filter. Then drive it hard & fast for a bit to clear out any carbon build up. If, after that, it starts with just a flick of the key and idles quiet and smoothly..yer good to go.

Having rented a car years ago in Bangalore I was advised to use only Shell or other big name stations and to avoid the local India name brands to get 'clean' gas..so you may want to keep an eye on that.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead
  • 2 weeks later...