How can I get another ignition key made?

Unfortunately the Spark key is the stiletto type, which is enclosed within the fob, so the key has to be programmed, along with the fob, and then cut, so I would assume a trip to the dealer. When I took possession of my car, my dealer tried to sell me an insurance policy, just for the keys. When the dealer is involved, I am thinking big bucks. I have both sets, and have tried to buy an extra key, without the fob, no luck.!! I would talk to a locksmith, and see if something can be rigged, if not, then it's unavoidable. Good luck, and keep us informed, of what the resolution is.

Found this site for my key.

http://www.keylessride.com/order/quote_key.asp?make=Chevrolet&remoteyear=2013&model=Spark&frid=EE803995

Wonder if it is OEM?

Probably not.

Anybody else have a source?

And then this site.

Says I can program the key myself if I have one working key.... which I do

.http://www.autotransponder.com/2013_chevrolet_spark_transponder_key_1?gclid=Cj0KEQiA1eyiBRC-qI2VzKf0vaUBEiQAUiZ3xDxr0IZMHtmRumnvZUg-MDywnJhHhPjgXo3KMHPzyqAaAgWo8P8HAQ

Anybody have any experience in this area of programing the key yourself?

Edited by stevesparky

I know on my Camaro if you have one working key you can program a new key by inserting the old key in the ignition and turning it to the run position without starting the car, then turn it off and within 10 seconds insert the new key and turn it to the run position. Do not start the car either time. I don't know if this would work on the spark but give me a day or so and I will find out.

• 5 months later...

i fought this battle for a long period , no luck ,finally contacted main chev hq said they cant do ,,as agreed with dealers to let them handle ,,but you must find dealer with key cutter ,maker and employee that knows how to do it ,,found it was far cheaper to order spare keys thru chev dealer than anywhere else , you must prove ownership and have vin no.to order right key blank ,then dealer cuts and programs key. i got 5 done at Jim Sigel, Chev-honda-nissan dealer in grants pass ,oregon,, a big dealer and have the eqpt and personel to do it . found them cheaper than any other source and no one in my area would cut a blank key,, gave all kind of reasons why not ,,Sigels were quick effecient and reasonable ,,blanks cost 8.50 each, and programming and cutting is 16.00 each ,,i got 5 done and all work super ,dealer is quick ,courteous and effecient .good place ,i done mine there after ordering by phone and making appt . and go in,, must furnish original key or keys for the operation.

Jim Sigel Chev,,,1601 ne 7th st ,grants pass ,or,97526 541 476 0811 and 800 452 1455 ask for Gordon ,parts mgr.

Had the same problem with my other car which had a chip so I asked the dealers but they were charging too much instead I found a shop who made digital keys all they do is tale your cars I'd and make the key so try finding a person who can do this.

I am assuming you have the remote fob system? Rather than taking a chance with 'rigging' something why not just get the dealer to order the 'fob' key, program it and that way you won't have any possible issues like locking yourself out, etc. If you have the basic 'key only' you may be able to get a generic and have it programmed.

• 10 months later...

I lost one of my keys.

Has anyone replace a lost key or got an extra key?

If so, what did you do?

I see Spark Key Blanks on Ebay for about 25 bucks.

What do i have to do?

Thanks..

It's possible to get a duplicate key for it even though you don't have the original. Just call a Locksmith and for the right price, he'll take care of it for you. I once lost the key to my BMW and it took less than 20 minutes for the Cicero Locksmith to make me a new key.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The easiest way to start will be finding a locksmith or a dealer. So, if you don`t have much money to pay a dealer or a locksmith, you can search on forums how to deal with that. In my opinion, the hardest but again the least resourceful one. You can`t cut the key, however. So, you need to take blanks to a locksmith and they will copy the pattern. Usually, you won`t pay much, around 20 dollars or so.

Dealer, however, will charge you for more than that.

If you are interested, i can suggest good emergency locksmith Toronto service. He helped me a lot with a car and house rekeying. By the way, he can reprogram the car no worries.

I'm a locksmith. The Chevy Spark is very easy to program yourself as long as you have an existing programmed key. Read the directions in your owner's manual. If you choose to buy a key off Ebay or other sites, my shop would charge to cut the key( which we do for free when it's our key blank ) and there is no warranty. Lot's of people come to our shop with keys bought some where else and they usually end up paying more in the end. Many time the keys are a cheap knockoff and they won't program or didn't come with the chip inside. 

Edited by Lary Engle
repeated wording
  • 3 weeks later...

I replaced 2013 Chevy Spark Ignition key!!!!

1. I bought a replacement key from replacemyremote.com

for $22.  

2. I then had a locksmith cut it from the sole key I had.  

3. Put existing working key in ignition and turned on until all of warning lights and gauges were on without starting engine. Leave in for 10 seconds.

4. Insert newly cut key and boom, we have ignition baby!

5.  $22 for key $2 to cut.  $24 out of pocket.  Not bad!

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2017 at 9:24 PM, airgwar15 said:

I replaced 2013 Chevy Spark Ignition key!!!!

1. I bought a replacement key from replacemyremote.com

for $22.  

2. I then had a locksmith cut it from the sole key I had.  

3. Put existing working key in ignition and turned on until all of warning lights and gauges were on without starting engine. Leave in for 10 seconds.

4. Insert newly cut key and boom, we have ignition baby!

5.  $22 for key $2 to cut.  $24 out of pocket.  Not bad!

That link gives me an error. Here is the corrected link:

http://replacemyremote.com/products-by-make/chevrolet.html

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...