Winter is salt season in the so called 'Rust-Belt' area of the Eastern US. Although I live in Miami, rust is an issue here as well with the humid and salty air.

I'm curious as to what users are finding as the parts of the Spark that are most affected by rust and what they do to prevent rust. In the areas that use salt on the roads, I know that rocker panels and lower door welds are the most common areas for body rust. The 'sub frame' cross members and brake lines are another area. Even here in Miami I use a vegetable oil based anti-rust spray on certain areas of the under side as well as lower inside door welds by spraying horizontally into the drain holes with the tube adapter. Trunk and hood, same thing. My brother in-law has a 2000 Chevy Cavalier in Chicago and also uses the same product and method and has almost zero rust and the original exhaust system, which is fairly amazing for a 15yr old car in that area.

I'm sure our northern 'Rust-Belt' members would be especially interested in how to prevent rust since it is a major factor in the life of a car in those areas that use road salt. My favorite product is a Canadian made spray can called 'Rust-Check©' or similar vegetable oil based spray since these products do not harm rubber or paint. For preventing the whitish oxidation of the aluminum engine parts and other metal parts in the engine compartment, I use 'Turtle©' Tire Shine or similar which keeps rust away while keeping the engine shiny without damaging rubber or paint.

What's your solution or thoughts on rust prevention?

Nope, luckily not any rusty yet. I spray the most exposed areas under the car with a clear rust protector a couple times a year. Made from some sort of hard, sticky wax made for our climate and cars.

Only the drums have been a bit rusty, but som heat resistance paint 2 times a year keeps them looking nice.

Nope, luckily not any rusty yet. I spray the most exposed areas under the car with a clear rust protector a couple times a year. Made from some sort of hard, sticky wax made for our climate and cars.

Only the drums have been a bit rusty, but som heat resistance paint 2 times a year keeps them looking nice.

Sounds like the stuff I found all over the engine bay of my car when I bought it. Kind of milky white and sticky. I was told they put it on at the factory to prevent corossion on the boat ride from Korea.