We live in mountainous country, so naturally there are very few flat, level places. Nevertheless, when I park, I depress the brake, shift to neutral, pull the hand brake, release the brake to ensure we are not rolling. Then shift to park.

When trying to go from Park to drive, the shift lever feels "locked up". Pull the trigger, and literally have to yank the shift lever out of Park. Doesn't seem to make any difference where we are parked, same results.

I read in the Owners Manual when this condition occurs, you "may have to push the car to get it to come out of park". This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Anyone else having this problem? And what is the cure? Thanks

We live in mountainous country, so naturally there are very few flat, level places. Nevertheless, when I park, I depress the brake, shift to neutral, pull the hand brake, release the brake to ensure we are not rolling. Then shift to park.

When trying to go from Park to drive, the shift lever feels "locked up". Pull the trigger, and literally have to yank the shift lever out of Park. Doesn't seem to make any difference where we are parked, same results.

I read in the Owners Manual when this condition occurs, you "may have to push the car to get it to come out of park". This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Anyone else having this problem? And what is the cure? Thanks

As long as you have the parking brake engaged when you shift it into park, there should be no problem. If it is locking up, the problem is with the car. It is common for people to put cars in park pointed uphill or downhill. I've even seen this break the parking pawl in the transmission. But that will not happen if the parking brake is on, and is actually holding the car in place. Yet another problem with the Spark?