After these few years, how happy are you with your Spark?

Although I like the Spark for the small size and handling as well as the fact it has been trouble free in the around 40,000+mi we have had it, I am not confident in GM. We plan to keep it for around town and now my 2006 Impala V8 is starting to present problems with electrical, brakes wearing out rapidly and transmission leaks. So.. I plan to sell that and buy a used smaller BMW. My cousin has a BMW Z4 and has been trouble free, fun to drive, rugged build and with 240+ hp quite fast. I too will no longer buy GM in the future. Being retired with good pensions & investments, we can afford a little higher level of quality vehicle and although the Impala V8 is a fun to drive car but not very well built, with the problems popping up now after 9 yrs..it's time to let it go to someone who is willing to do about $2,000 in repairs and is mechanically inclined enough to make and keep it trouble free...kind of like a project car. Now we need to spend quite a bit of time finding a good used BMW (perhaps a Z4) as they are not easy to find.

Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with the Spark we have as it seems to be properly built, but when I read of all the problems other ppl have with the Spark, Sonic and some other GM models, I feel another GM product is too much of a gamble at any price.

My boss had a late model BMW sedan and he had some ongoing issues with it... the passenger seat kept moving in the forward position on it's own and it kept draining the battery for a while and the AC had to be repaired 2 times as I recall. No warranty and the bills amounted to upwards of 5 to 8 grand in the 4 years he owned the car. Not to mention the fact that he couldn't drive it in the snow at all cause of the rear drive made it dangerous without chains or snow tires. The car looked impressive tho... He unloaded it and drives an Outback with the six now.

BTW, he had to put premium in the beemer (18mpg) and the oil changes were about 300$ each at the dealer.

I can drive my Spark in the snow and fillups are 20us instead of 50us. I was able to buy 2 for the price of one Accord, too.