2013 Spark front wheel bearings

Anyone know how to replace them? Anyone else having problems? My Spark has 55000 miles and is on its 3rd motor....thank God for warranties! One wheel bearing was replaced at 29500 miles now another one or the same is making a howling sound.

Edited by Gerald

3 motors? I couldn't even get them to pull the plugs on mine to look inside.

Not sure about the wheel bearings, but that's not a good sign either. Looking at Rockauto, they list a front bearing/hub assembly for $90 and also show it as the same part for the Aveo, might be able to get this at Autozone, Advance Auto, etc. A quick check at Advance Auto shows 4 or 5 different front hub assemblies so you might get lucky on parts.

If you get the entire hub/bearing assembly, then the steps are roughly as follows:

Remove safety cap of axle nut (center of the wheel hub).

Remove axle nut

Remove brake caliper and rotor

Unbolt hub assembly from the back

Pull hub assembly off of axle.

There may be a circlip in there somewhere that also needs to come off, not really sure. You may need some fresh grease to put on the axle splines when you are putting it back together, and not sure if these were one time use stretch bolts, or regular bolts so you might need new bolts to hold the assembly on the car. Also might need a new axle nut (unlikely) and a new axle safety cover.

I suggest the brake caliper and rotor in the middle so you can wedge a stick on the brake pedal and keep the axle from spinning while you are trying to loosen it.

Looking at the parts shown, the ABS may make this a lot more expensive unless you are willing to press out the parts that bolt to the rotor from the parts that bolt to the suspension. Showing $186 for an assembly that has the ABS sensor and wires.

Edited by Greg_E