oil consumption - program code 14110 - pcv valve

According to your posted service record, the PCV part number (25193675) is indeed the new and supposedly corrected unit. If it were me, I'd go back and have them check the plugs for fouling as that did not seem to have been done. If all, except the possible fouled plug(s), is now correct, the oil fouling may burn off on its own. As long as the engine idles smoothly you should be OK. Just check under your oil fill cap for any sludge as they did not change the oil since it is not directed by the 14110 Emission Program 'recall' and depending on the amount of time the issue was present, there may be some slight sludge. On a small engine with VVT and the critical 'knock sensor', even a small amount of sludge could, potentially, obstruct one of the very narrow oil passages the some of the sensors rely on for correct activation resulting in incorrect valve or ignition timing...I know...sounds complicated and somewhat crazy, but this engine is heavily reliant on sensors for correct moving parts and ignition timing changes that were constant and pre-set in older engines. Again..TMI..but you get my drift?

What's your Sparks mileage? I just had mine done on Tuesday and all that was done was the PCV was replaced. Hopefully I didn't get the other two steps because my mileage was low enough that my TB and my idle were both still in good shape :x!

I have around 7,700 miles on mine. I didn't notice any change in the idle or how it ran so the cleaning and relearning of the idle may have not even been needed.

Edited by Angrybird12
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

• I would not spend time worrying about the engine problems reported by some as I did some work finding out exactly what the issues and root causes were by talking to both GM, the head of service at m

Not much at this point, I would start out by returning to the dealership with a copy of your invoice, and expressing your concerns to the service manager. See what he tells you, and if you get no sati

Mine just had the cel flashing and traction control light on while missfiring very bad for the first 30 seconds after starting it after sitting overnight, it went away on its own. It goes to the deale

Posted Images

I have around 7,700 miles on mine. I didn't notice any change in the idle or how it ran so the cleaning and relearning of the idle may have not even been needed.

Since the first sign of of this 14110 issue is rough idle, your plugs are probably OK and indeed, if your car was running OK and not burning oil, you may not have needed the PCV job done at this time. The fact that you received a recall letter does indicate that your VIN was flagged as being associated with the problem that may not present itself until a higher mileage. So, bottom line is: it was a wise decision to have the part replaced before symptoms..makes it less likely that a future problem could mess up some engine sensors/plugs/etc. I had no recall notice for my VIN but had it checked by the dealer for proper PCV function. Too bad this engine cannot tolerate much in the way of any issue however minor..however, the PCV issue is certainly not minor since the design type of that part means a defect causes many more serious problems than the old type of PCV user replaceable part. Nuff said..

We have 2 Sparks. Both are 2013's and the one with manual transmission has no oil consumption issues at this time. The one with the automatic is another story... It's been using a quart every 1000 miles or so starting a few months ago. Both have just over 30,000 miles.

I called the dealer and they said that we would get us scheduled for new PCV's as soon as they come in, she guessed the beginning of Oct.

This doesn't show up in the official GM recall info site like the AC recall.

It worries me that this problem is going to result in lots of engine damage/failures and ruin the otherwise excellent reputation of the Spark.

Come On GM time to be proactive on this thing!!!

One bit of advise...

If you ever get an engine code (think it's 82), and or see the Oil Pressure indicator light come on and stay on while driving, pull over as quickly and safely as you can and

TURN THE ENGINE OFF!!!

Call for a tow truck if you have to, don't restart the car unless you have some oil with you to bring the oil level back up to the proper range on the dipstick!!!

Once the oil light comes on and stays on, it only takes about 10 seconds for permanent engine damage to begin. In just a few minutes it could easily lock up and be toast.

Since the first sign of of this 14110 issue is rough idle, your plugs are probably OK and indeed, if your car was running OK and not burning oil, you may not have needed the PCV job done at this time. The fact that you received a recall letter does indicate that your VIN was flagged as being associated with the problem that may not present itself until a higher mileage. So, bottom line is: it was a wise decision to have the part replaced before symptoms..makes it less likely that a future problem could mess up some engine sensors/plugs/etc. I had no recall notice for my VIN but had it checked by the dealer for proper PCV function. Too bad this engine cannot tolerate much in the way of any issue however minor..however, the PCV issue is certainly not minor since the design type of that part means a defect causes many more serious problems than the old type of PCV user replaceable part. Nuff said..

Actually I didn't get the recall letter until yesterday. I had contacted Patsy G of Chevrolet customer service through this thread and she told me my car was part of the recall. The next day I went by the dealer and they looked it up also and ordered the part.

Edited by Angrybird12

Well, I brought mine in today for the fix and oil change. I made an appointment for 8am. I showed up and there were more than 20 cars in the service lines. There was one person that just arrived to check in people. I then went inside and spoke to a service manager. Told him I have an appointment and was concerned by the large volume of people. He asked my name and he said yes you have an appointment to go see this service writer. So on the way there 2 other ladies at the front said they have appointments too. One proceeds to tell me that every time they make an appointment it seems like it does not matter. She said the last time she waited over 2 hours just to get to her car.

So I go in the service writers office and proceed to explain my appointment. He said I have to wait anyways with all the people. I said I maid an appointment specifically to avoid this. Why would I made an appointment online and had to choose a certain time from available time slots. Some slots are taken just like anywhere else. So he proceeds to tell me no matter what it's going to take 1 1/2 hours just to check my car for the recall and have to order parts so I would have to come back anyways, WTF CHEVY!!!

I told him my vin is affected and needs the replacement so why check my car when the whole procedure takes .7 hours if doing it. So why does it take twice as long to figure out what's wrong with my car when I have a letter stating its needs to be replaced and possible needs cleaning other things. Why don't they just do the service and not waste people's time. So after getting no where I went back to the managers office and explained what happened. All he said was sorry I feel that way and if you want to leave you can come back that's your choice. No here, let me help you or anything.

This is what is wrong with Chevy, they just don't care or give a shit. I have been very patient with all these issues these cars have.

I still need my A/C recall, now the PCV Recall, plus my recirculate flap issue. If they can't even get an appointment right what makes me think they will fix the car right? The funny thing is the appointment I made online and did not even take their manpower to make it and it's still got f-ed up. I got the automated return email stating all the bla bla bla, and we are the best and looking forward to helping me, yea right!

Well, I brought mine in today for the fix and oil change. I made an appointment for 8am. I showed up and there were more than 20 cars in the service lines. There was one person that just arrived to check in people. I then went inside and spoke to a service manager. Told him I have an appointment and was concerned by the large volume of people. He asked my name and he said yes you have an appointment to go see this service writer. So on the way there 2 other ladies at the front said they have appointments too. One proceeds to tell me that every time they make an appointment it seems like it does not matter. She said the last time she waited over 2 hours just to get to her car.

So I go in the service writers office and proceed to explain my appointment. He said I have to wait anyways with all the people. I said I maid an appointment specifically to avoid this. Why would I made an appointment online and had to choose a certain time from available time slots. Some slots are taken just like anywhere else. So he proceeds to tell me no matter what it's going to take 1 1/2 hours just to check my car for the recall and have to order parts so I would have to come back anyways, WTF CHEVY!!!

I told him my vin is affected and needs the replacement so why check my car when the whole procedure takes .7 hours if doing it. So why does it take twice as long to figure out what's wrong with my car when I have a letter stating its needs to be replaced and possible needs cleaning other things. Why don't they just do the service and not waste people's time. So after getting no where I went back to the managers office and explained what happened. All he said was sorry I feel that way and if you want to leave you can come back that's your choice. No here, let me help you or anything.

This is what is wrong with Chevy, they just don't care or give a shit. I have been very patient with all these issues these cars have.

I still need my A/C recall, now the PCV Recall, plus my recirculate flap issue. If they can't even get an appointment right what makes me think they will fix the car right? The funny thing is the appointment I made online and did not even take their manpower to make it and it's still got f-ed up. I got the automated return email stating all the bla bla bla, and we are the best and looking forward to helping me, yea right!

Its not Chevy but your dealer.... Like I said I was in and out in 45 minutes. And all they needed to do when I brought it in the first time was run the VIN number and get the recall info. He then went and had the parts department order the new Valve. It took all of 10 minutes. I think your dealer thinks it's a doctors office and allows too many appointments to be made for the same time period. Very inefficient.

I'm not sure why Daewoo GM decided to add a diaphram to regulate their PCV (at additional cost) valve. To my knowledge it's the only such device in use in the industry.

Everyone else just uses a piston and spring valve that costs a couple bucks.

Indicates to me that Daewoo Gm is not in the habit of cutting corners. ;)

It's kinda used widely now but I do agree that the old style PCV was simple and work and it would work on the Spark or any 4 stroke engine larger than 800cc. Talking to the GM mechanical guys/gals/whatever their PC sexual orientation or whatever... the part is workable if it is manufactured correctly..the outsourced manufacturer had a defective spec resulting in a thinner spring and lip component on the bad pcv rubber units that seem to fail after about 25-40K.. but some have failed after 1K.

If your component is not the corrected one you wont know..don't wait for problems..just take it in to a GM dealer and ask for a check that you have the good Part # for the PCV is, 25193675..if not have it replaced. Nuff said..Time for a beer & BBQ..Right?

We certainly recognize your concerns, Lovgun7. We understand the dealership didn't advise a diagnosis at this time, however, if this continues to be a concern we definitely suggest having them look further into this for you. In the meantime try to monitor specific conditions where you hear the clicking noise (ex; cold start, long distance driving, etc). If you'd like for us to reach out to the dealership to further discuss your concerns we'll gladly do so.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Just got the 14110 recall and now I find another recall is in the wind for a defective hood latch. Called GM and my dealer to get more info. I get the impression that the recalls are for all 2013 and some 2014 for the 14110 as well as a serious 'loose steering control arm bolts for the 2014's. I will get the recalls done and sell the car cheap for a quick sale. The problems with the engine and PCV as well as other sensors are way too many serious issues to keep the car past warranty.

Is there anyone with a 2013 unit that has not received the PCV recall notice? My dealer says every 2013 he sold has the 14110 recall.

anyone else getting a weird clicking noise ???

not the clicking from the engine ...

its like a suddle 3 clicks ... then stops then happens again...

i took the car back but i was told "if you dont get leaks, whistling, warning lights you should be fine..."

While driving or stationary? Manual or auto?

Good news! Looks like getting the pcv valve recall done fixed my oil consumption problem. Over 1k miles driven over the month and the oil level has not moved, yay! The question is did any hidden damage occur? My idle seems a little rough when the engine is not warmed up all the way. I wonder if the dealer actually replaced #4 spark plug, or did they just say they did? Only one way to find out would be to pull it out myself. I don't trust any of these dealers to do anything right, by my own experiences as well as others on this forum.

When I got my oil changed they did the PCV valve campaign , quick and easy . My car has never used a drop of oil but its good Chevy is proactive in case the valve wears at a later date . It's a shame people had unnecessary work done or sold their car over a simple defective part. I'm sure there will be other service campaigns , GM is going to be on top of potential issues. I absolutely love this car !

Edited by sparkfanatic

Pasted from the A/C thread.

Well after bringing in my car for the pcv valve and oil change the service writer talked me into the AC recall also. So I left the car this morning. I got a call around 2 pm from the writer that my car was all done. I asked even the AC and compressor. He said it did not need the compressor and also did not need the # 4 spark plug replaced because not mil code present. I say ok and go pick my Spark up.

So sign and pay for my oil change and quickly look my car over. I saw that the wires under the hood were a little sloppy but a few wire ties at home will fix it.

So being the person I am (past autobody and mech) I got home and decided to see what this new LP switch went to. I have asked here before and have only been shown under the hood that's it.

So I remove the glovebox, remove the passenger front sill/kick plate. I see the new wire harness from the firewall grommet to a plug. Mind you the plug is just floating behind the kick panel not clipped to anything. The new harness (2 wire) from the engine bay gets inserted into this plug. Then I look from there is another 2 wire harness that was just wrapped around a main wire harness going over to the center of the dash. This wire has a pigtail with plug ends that match the evap box tell sensor. I unwrap it and this is where I get puzzled. I also see the evap sensor wire just dangling not in it's clip. So back to the new harness that puzzled me. The new harness that comes from the engine bay straight through the plug dangling and is connected together to itself. Meaning the pigtail with male and female are connected together. So unless something new was just invented but how does a 2wire connector connected to itself do anything. It's not connected to the cars harness at all.

So now I'm pissed. I drove back to the dealer and first spoke to the writer. I asked him to print the instructions to this #13434 AC recall.

After I skim over it I proceed to tell him what is wrong. He can't believe it either. So he get the shop manager. The shop manager really was no help but to get the tech. The shop manager said he and another NEW person gone for the day did the job.

So I go to my car and show him what I found. He goes, Oh my god I should have done this myself and not left him! He starts messing with it and then wants to take it out back. By this time the shop is closing and I said for now I'm leaving and have somewhere to be. I will bring it in next week. He just kept saying he messed everything up. The other thing I pointed out that just like others here the wire from the engine bay through the grommet was ran wrong. You don't just poke a hole through the rubber to run the wire. The tape is suppose to be unwrapped and the wire inserted inside the harness through the grommet. But now take the easy way out and poke my weather sealed firewall grommet.

Well now the writer is pissed because because I had a conversation about not doing the AC recall due to people's opinions on the fix here. But he talked me into it. I told him it was not his fault but the mechanics not following directions at all.

Now I have the 18 page service bulletin with directions and pictures. It can't get any simpler than reading and following the pictures. And I have to say that pretty much everyone here probably don't even have the recall done to the tee in the paperwork. Also with the wire routing in the engine bay was wrong. This is one of the reasons for the extra wire that I and others have zip tied up.

All I know now is they just did the harness and switch, but the recall talks about trouble shooting for those gear pieces, the temp sensor, BCM updates, compressor replacement too. These are all subject to manufacture date or the spark and readout from low and high side pressure ranges. So I'm sure none of this was checked either. This could be why some people still have issues with their AC after the fix. If they did not read and do the instructions to the tee they might have not replaced the right combination of parts.

Now they wanted me to leave the car there until Monday or Tuesday and get a loaner. I refused at that time because I want to take my car home and photo and document their mess up. Besides they are not open on Sundays so it would just sit anyways.

So I'm not even sure I want the same incompetent tech working on my car. This really leaves a bad taste and I think someone higher up in Chevy (not dealer) should get involved as to what Chevy techs are doing. I even told the tech what the heck is the new kid (that's what he called him) practicing on my car. He said I only left him for a little bit.

Now I don't even know if my PCV recall was done right. I was told by the service writer that another tech did that recall, but I see on my invoice the same tech number did the AC, PCV, and oil change. If someone can tell me where the PCV valve is so I can check because I don't think that was done. I know one thing my oil is clean and their was dirty oil all over the pan and surrounding area. Really nice not to wipe up the mess.

Oh also in the AC recall directions it talks about the outside temperature reading -40 below and how to correct it. I read that some people have had this happen after the service. Well it also states that if not properly done it will damage the compressor. So this means the compressor relies on what the outside ambient temp is, imagine that. This is what we always said how it acts weird depending on outside temp. Very fishy people. The tech also said I don't know what that stupid little filter/switch does anyways. We have seen it do nothing, REALLY!

Bluer101 Asks: "If someone can tell me where the PCV valve is so I can check because I don't think that was done."

The PCV valve is located under the drivers side of the black plastic spark plug cover. Right below the hose leading to the air intake main hose. Circular rubber disk. I believe the new model PCV valve has a small ramped vent on the edge. Part # 25193675, but not entirely sure if there are variations on this part #.

While your at it, maybe you could snap a pix for other users info. My dealer indicated that on one occasion they were shipped the old part (defective) and since this was early in the recall process, a sharp parts manager checked with GM to verify the part # and was shipped a replacement new part # unit.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead