oil consumption - program code 14110 - pcv valve

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

• I would not spend time worrying about the engine problems reported by some as I did some work finding out exactly what the issues and root causes were by talking to both GM, the head of service at m

Not much at this point, I would start out by returning to the dealership with a copy of your invoice, and expressing your concerns to the service manager. See what he tells you, and if you get no sati

Mine just had the cel flashing and traction control light on while missfiring very bad for the first 30 seconds after starting it after sitting overnight, it went away on its own. It goes to the deale

Posted Images

Picked up my car today after getting the 14110 repair done. They replaced the valve and also checked the throttle body (which was clean). In addition they looked for any error codes (none were found).

Car seems to be driving just fine after, just like before. I have only driven about 50 miles since getting it back.

Everything went very smooth and all the work was done exactly as promised and finished on time. The new dealer I went to this time was much better than the previous and I will be doing any future work on my car. They were much more polite, professional and organized. The parts were ordered and delivered in two days, then the dealership called/emailed me to let me know the parts were in and to set an appointment time. Dropped my car off in the morning and picked it up around 1:00pm. This was a much better experience than the previous AC recall.

Everything went very smooth for me and I hope it does for all of you. If you are having a hard time getting parts/service it might be worth looking into a new dealership, it made a huge difference for me. I wanted to say thanks to Kristen and the other Chevy customer reps on this board, anytime I have a concern or issue they get back to me asap.

Hi Chris,

We are very happy to hear that the dealership was able to look into this for you, and provide a satisfactory experience for you. We thank you for the nice shout-out, and please feel free to let us know if you need any additional help along the way!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

hmmm sorta wanna call up the dealer since my car is in for the (fingers crossed) A/C fix and tell them to check the oil consumtion...

Been in a 2014 imapala since Friday =)

Hey Lovgun07,

Hope you are enjoying the Impala! Let us know if you would like for us to look into your VIN for the oil consumption recall. We would be happy to do so!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

• I would not spend time worrying about the engine problems reported by some as I did some work finding out exactly what the issues and root causes were by talking to both GM, the head of service at my dealership (a good and large service area with a very good reputation) and one other GM mechanic and in all cases they have seen on the Spark, the engine oil consumption problem was caused by a defective 'new generation' type PCV valve system sending actual oil instead of excess gases to the intake thus burning the oil and resulting in fouled plugs, sensors etc and other associated problems.

Although My VIN# was not on the list of the PCV issue as it depends on the date and assembly line the car was built, I did have my dealer check my PCV and was permitted to watch them check it... it's not at all like the older, user replaceable, valves that just took a few seconds to pull from the top of the valve cover, but rather a larger round shaped flexible disk located under the valve cover drivers side. Because of the large size, I can easily see how a defective PCV unit of this design could send quite a bit of oil to the intake. When the mechanic pushed down on one side of the PCV diaphragm with engine at idle (to simulate a defective one), it was squirting oil and the idle became very rough. When he released it, the idle returned to normal and only some non visible hot gasses came out..as it should. He and other GM/independent mechanics we talked to all say they have seen that issue on other units as well, both GM and other makes where the PCV defect was left for too long and caused sludge causing partial VVT & Knock Sensor, etc failure resulting in cracked cylinders and valves due to timing issues caused by sensors etc being gummed up with oil.

While working as an aircraft mechanic on piston powered fixed wing aircraft...many years ago ('70's) before becoming a commercial pilot, I found that finding the root cause of a malfunction was always the most important step in repairs rather than treating the symptoms with 'stop-gap' parts and temporary fixes as sometimes one defective part can cause major problems in other areas of an engine or other aircraft systems...I know, long post and maybe TMI.. but I just couldn't write a shorter version without the required info as most members do not have a mechanical background.

I hope this sheds some useful light on the Engine Problem/Oil Burning issues.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

In February, at just over 40,000 miles, my Spark started misfiring and kicked the CEL on. I brought it to the dealer, and they blamed me for mistreating it - saying I must be using Dry Gas. Now, two things that drive me crazy...1) I don't mistreat my car. 2) my family has owned gas stations for over 100 years. Did they honestly think I'd put dry gas in there when the ethanol are does the job? Long story short, I spent $160 (had them replace all the plugs because they couldn't identify the problem outside of blaming me). Now I have to get GM to pay me back. Its frustrating.

Mine just had the cel flashing and traction control light on while missfiring very bad for the first 30 seconds after starting it after sitting overnight, it went away on its own. It goes to the dealer next week for the recall anyway, so I'll bring it up.

Update: I used my code scanner, and I got cylinder 4 missfire as a stored code. I also checked the oil after a 300 mile trip, appears it burned almost a quarter qt of oil. I also noticed it lost some power. I wonder if I also got the cracked intake valve issue? 31K miles now

Same issue for me back in February. At 40k on it, the engine ran a bit iffy. Next morning tried to start it and it wouldn't run. Then it cleared itself up on its own. Brought it to the dealer, had misfires and #4 plug was spent. Seeing as I had one of the first Sparks, and put a ton of miles on it, had to spend $160 to get it fixed at the time. Can't wait to get my money back.

In February, at just over 40,000 miles, my Spark started misfiring and kicked the CEL on. I brought it to the dealer, and they blamed me for mistreating it - saying I must be using Dry Gas. Now, two things that drive me crazy...1) I don't mistreat my car. 2) my family has owned gas stations for over 100 years. Did they honestly think I'd put dry gas in there when the ethanol are does the job? Long story short, I spent $160 (had them replace all the plugs because they couldn't identify the problem outside of blaming me). Now I have to get GM to pay me back. Its frustrating.

We're very sorry to learn of your frustration, pat121785. Although we cannot guarantee reimbursement, we would be more than happy to further investigate this matter for you. If interested please private message your VIN, full contact information and dealership name to our page. We're also available via email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Amber N.

Chevrolet Customer Care

• I would not spend time worrying about the engine problems reported by some as I did some work finding out exactly what the issues and root causes were by talking to both GM, the head of service at my dealership (a good and large service area with a very good reputation) and one other GM mechanic and in all cases they have seen on the Spark, the engine oil consumption problem was caused by a defective 'new generation' type PCV valve system sending actual oil instead of excess gases to the intake thus burning the oil and resulting in fouled plugs, sensors etc and other associated problems.

Although My VIN# was not on the list of the PCV issue as it depends on the date and assembly line the car was built, I did have my dealer check my PCV and was permitted to watch them check it... it's not at all like the older, user replaceable, valves that just took a few seconds to pull from the top of the valve cover, but rather a larger round shaped flexible disk located under the valve cover drivers side. Because of the large size, I can easily see how a defective PCV unit of this design could send quite a bit of oil to the intake. When the mechanic pushed down on one side of the PCV diaphragm with engine at idle (to simulate a defective one), it was squirting oil and the idle became very rough. When he released it, the idle returned to normal and only some non visible hot gasses came out..as it should. He and other GM/independent mechanics we talked to all say they have seen that issue on other units as well, both GM and other makes where the PCV defect was left for too long and caused sludge causing partial VVT & Knock Sensor, etc failure resulting in cracked cylinders and valves due to timing issues caused by sensors etc being gummed up with oil.

While working as an aircraft mechanic on piston powered fixed wing aircraft...many years ago ('70's) before becoming a commercial pilot, I found that finding the root cause of a malfunction was always the most important step in repairs rather than treating the symptoms with 'stop-gap' parts and temporary fixes as sometimes one defective part can cause major problems in other areas of an engine or other aircraft systems...I know, long post and maybe TMI.. but I just couldn't write a shorter version without the required info as most members do not have a mechanical background.

I hope this sheds some useful light on the Engine Problem/Oil Burning issues.

My car is setting at the dealership now. You stated rough engine while idle - yep, also rough driving today. I immediately called the dealership and told them I was bringing it in. No engine light or any other light came on. By the time I made it to the dealership the car died and oil ?? was running out of the hood and on the ground. I got a letter from GM Saturday and was getting ready to call to make my appointment but car messed up before then. I sure hope my engine is not dead. It was a line of oil (I guess thats what it was) running out of the front of the car and under it. I've never seen anything like this. Just had the oil changed last week at same dealership!! I'm glad I found this forum so I can let the dealership know if they try "Well we don't know what's wrong -- or worse yet -- its your fault" type of stuff. Also glad I purchased extended warranty when I bought the car. It has around 38,000 miles on it.

My car is setting at the dealership now. You stated rough engine while idle - yep, also rough driving today. I immediately called the dealership and told them I was bringing it in. No engine light or any other light came on. By the time I made it to the dealership the car died and oil ?? was running out of the hood and on the ground. I got a letter from GM Saturday and was getting ready to call to make my appointment but car messed up before then. I sure hope my engine is not dead. It was a line of oil (I guess thats what it was) running out of the front of the car and under it. I've never seen anything like this. Just had the oil changed last week at same dealership!! I'm glad I found this forum so I can let the dealership know if they try "Well we don't know what's wrong -- or worse yet -- its your fault" type of stuff. Also glad I purchased extended warranty when I bought the car. It has around 38,000 miles on it.

Sounds like they did not do something right during your oil change last week.

Got my recall done this morning, they changed the PCV valve, cleaned the throttle body and reset the idle. I was at the dealership for about 45 minutes.

What's your Sparks mileage? I just had mine done on Tuesday and all that was done was the PCV was replaced. Hopefully I didn't get the other two steps because my mileage was low enough that my TB and my idle were both still in good shape :x!

Same issue for me back in February. At 40k on it, the engine ran a bit iffy. Next morning tried to start it and it wouldn't run. Then it cleared itself up on its own. Brought it to the dealer, had misfires and #4 plug was spent. Seeing as I had one of the first Sparks, and put a ton of miles on it, had to spend $160 to get it fixed at the time. Can't wait to get my money back.

I got the recall for the pcv valve done two weeks ago and a few days ago my Sparky misfired and kicked on the CEL and traction control light. Took it into the dealer and sure enough the #4 spark plug oil fouled. It's really irritating that this happened after I had already done the recall and that they didn't even check the spark plugs with the recall. It would have saved me a trip to the dealership.

Edit: I have 22k miles on my car

Edited by Penelope

Got my recall done this morning, they changed the PCV valve, cleaned the throttle body and reset the idle. I was at the dealership for about 45 minutes.

According to your posted service record, the PCV part number (25193675) is indeed the new and supposedly corrected unit. If it were me, I'd go back and have them check the plugs for fouling as that did not seem to have been done. If all, except the possible fouled plug(s), is now correct, the oil fouling may burn off on its own. As long as the engine idles smoothly you should be OK. Just check under your oil fill cap for any sludge as they did not change the oil since it is not directed by the 14110 Emission Program 'recall' and depending on the amount of time the issue was present, there may be some slight sludge. On a small engine with VVT and the critical 'knock sensor', even a small amount of sludge could, potentially, obstruct one of the very narrow oil passages the some of the sensors rely on for correct activation resulting in incorrect valve or ignition timing...I know...sounds complicated and somewhat crazy, but this engine is heavily reliant on sensors for correct moving parts and ignition timing changes that were constant and pre-set in older engines. Again..TMI..but you get my drift?

Edited by Retired old Gearhead