oil consumption - program code 14110 - pcv valve

Bluer101 Asks: "If someone can tell me where the PCV valve is so I can check because I don't think that was done."

The PCV valve is located under the drivers side of the black plastic spark plug cover. Right below the hose leading to the air intake main hose. Circular rubber disk. I believe the new model PCV valve has a small ramped vent on the edge. Part # 25193675, but not entirely sure if there are variations on this part #.

While your at it, maybe you could snap a pix for other users info. My dealer indicated that on one occasion they were shipped the old part (defective) and since this was early in the recall process, a sharp parts manager checked with GM to verify the part # and was shipped a replacement new part # unit.

Before I took it in for that I removed the cover and looked. But I guess I did not look close enough. Maybe you have to remove the bottom of that cover once removed from the valve cover. I will check today and see with photos.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

• I would not spend time worrying about the engine problems reported by some as I did some work finding out exactly what the issues and root causes were by talking to both GM, the head of service at m

Not much at this point, I would start out by returning to the dealership with a copy of your invoice, and expressing your concerns to the service manager. See what he tells you, and if you get no sati

Mine just had the cel flashing and traction control light on while missfiring very bad for the first 30 seconds after starting it after sitting overnight, it went away on its own. It goes to the deale

Posted Images

And this summarizes why I traded my Spark. Even when the invoice says they did the work, you can't trust them. Just remember that these are separate businesses from GM/Chevy and Chevy can't/won't do anything to them. Yup I have actually been told this by support. Chevy really needs to shut down dealers with poor service departments or risk their overall name, these separate businesses still have Chevy on the building.

This is why it is so important to deal with a credible dealer. I think now that they realize that they are not dealing with some dumb ass who doesn't know anything, they will get it right.

I'm still deciding to let them finish it. I don't think they followed the freon pressure guide to continue to the correct fix. They just installed the filter/switch and wire and could not even do that right.

When the tech tells you I don't know why this part is there but it does not do a thing you have to wonder. This is why you still have to follow build date and trouble shooting directions. There are multiple fixes depending on answers. This can explain why some of us have had a positive outcome and some worse or no difference.

Last night I decided to connect the wire the correct way, takes 5 seconds to do. Guess, what, it does not make a difference at all on my car. This is why I do not believe the used the proper trouble shooting.

I also mentioned that there was Bold warnings to make sure the battery us disconnected and if not the procedure to fix the outside temp gauge. If it reads wrong then it can mess up the ac compressor and such. So like I said the outside temp plays a roll in how the ac operates too.

I need to find my ac gauges in storage and trouble shoot myself.

bluer101 writes: "I'm still deciding to let them finish it." Bluer, you seem to have a good grasp on electro-mechanical work. It might be a better idea to let them finish and then have them show you or detail the work. My dealer allows me into the shop area as I have been with them for purchases since 1984 and the service manager knows I have a mechanical background and a good understanding of the workings of internal combustion engines..mind you, I'm not too good with electrical. Still I feel more comfortable when 'kids' change the oil and have caught mistakes like wrong weight oil and wrong wheel bolt torque. The few experienced mechanics usually do the more complex stuff. Sounds like your service manager allows the 'kids' to do the more complex A/C fix. The trick is to not hover over them while they do the work and don't boss them around but simply ask questions like, can I see the part # on the box or the oil containers (if synthetic) to verify correct 5w20 weight, amount added and brand. Non-synthetic oil is usually dispensed from tanks that are marked as to weight. Be polite and wear safety boots and follow basic safety around the car. I usually stand near the bench, say very little, ask a few questions if needed and try to offer the odd positive comment. Although I arrived at the service bay a bit too late to watch them replace the PCV, I did ask to see the part box to verify the correct part # and since I my idle was smooth and no oil burning prior to the fix, I asked they not check or replace the #4 plug as they found everything else clean.

Not sure if your AC gauges will tell you anything other than hi & low pressures and you would need to know the specs for the 4-6 oz (I believe) spec pressures. I don't think pressures/amount are the problem..from what I understand it is mostly to do with the AC evaporator sensor as well as a sensor/control module located at the compressor. I had the AC not cooling enough before hearing of the recall and since I am not comfortable with AC systems, I had my regular shop mechanic make the suggestion to up the pressure a bit and now has worked fine for my Miami needs since that was done.

I'm sure the AC is capable of even cooler operation, but considering how the fix is being done to recall specs..I don't want that wiring/sensors touched with it going thru my firewall.

You are correct about the battery disconnect during the temp reset and correct that it affects the AC cycling.

For those who don't know, the first symptom of a bad PCV unit is burning a more oil than usual, next is rough idle and then the final phase presents itself as very rough idle, burning WAY too much oil and the 'check engine', 'Traction' and low engine power lights staying on. At that point your engine top end is gummed up with oil (plugs fouled causing the rough idle). If the knock sensor also gets fouled..well...that can cause timing malfunction and result in a cracked valve..etc.

I drive our 2013 1LT Auto very hard and very fast on longer trips (80-90mph). Car has 27k trouble free on it and since we paid about $12K (total) in cash and it is not a big amount for us, I don't mind driving it hard and fast and will not 'baby' a $12K car.

Sorry for the rambling and long post, but if this helps even one person avoid the anxiety of the unknown, well, then this may be of some help in understanding the issues.

Any PCV pix yet bluer?

Trade it in for some brand that is better supported in your area! I doubt you will get proper satisfaction from this dealer, ever. I doubt the general manager will care, but you can try, the BBB is a joke so don't waste your time. The customer support people on the forum will get things started, then they need to hand it off to higher level support. This higher level will probably tell you to go to another dealership, and when you say no, they will tell you they are closing the case since you refused their solution.

Edited by Greg_E

Taking my 2013 Spark into Rick Hendricks tomorrow October 1, 2014 for the recall for oil consumption . Had the engine replaced almost 20,000 miles ago and I had just started noticing that it was using some oil again when I got the letter. Had to wait about 3 weeks for the appointment, but the dealership has been really good about fixing the car. Also have the ac recall but the AC always seems to be fine but will get them to look at it while there. Have had to add almost a quart since last oil change , have been changing oil at between 3-4000 miles. Hope the PCV thing is all that is wrong , car runs good and gets over 40 mpg all the time.

Taking my 2013 Spark into Rick Hendricks tomorrow October 1, 2014 for the recall for oil consumption . Had the engine replaced almost 20,000 miles ago and I had just started noticing that it was using some oil again when I got the letter. Had to wait about 3 weeks for the appointment, but the dealership has been really good about fixing the car. Also have the ac recall but the AC always seems to be fine but will get them to look at it while there. Have had to add almost a quart since last oil change , have been changing oil at between 3-4000 miles. Hope the PCV thing is all that is wrong , car runs good and gets over 40 mpg all the time.

Hey Tim,

Be sure to let me know how everything goes with your appointment, and if further assistance is needed on our end. Looking forward to the outcome. Have a good night!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

Just an update.

Thanks to Patsy and her crew a higher up in my dealer has contacted me to try and resolve the issues. She is just as shocked as I was and totally understands my concerns with the service techs. She will be looking into why proper procedures were not followed in fixing my Spark. My Spark will not be going back to them for a few weeks as that's the best time frame for me. But I will update at that point in time. I feel really good about this as this might be an real eye opener for what's going on. I do know since owning my Spark the service department and techs have been a revolving door. But it looks like we are on the right track.

That's good to hear, I've mentioned a few times, the girls here can be quite helpful. This may wake up your dealership hierarchy, and should you need service down the road, it won't include an anxiety attack. Kudos for hanging in, and following through.

It's no biggie until you consume too much, the carbon tends to build up and can gouge the cylinder walls. It can also cause the rings to stick which might cause issues with blow-by and could also cause cylinder wall damage. It also causes the catalyst to fail early, they are expensive and only guaranteed for 80,000 miles in the USA.

Haven't heard about the replacements coming in yet at my dealer. Just keeping a close eye on the oil levels on our cars. Added one quart to the automatic car so far since the oil change. No biggie.

I have a 2013 auto with 28kmi and have never seen the oil level drop at all between 5Kmi changes. I use a Valvoline 5w20 synthetic and find it very clean after 5Kmi with the level on the dipstick unmoved. 1 Qt between changes is way too much on a tiny engine that only holds 3.7Qt. Even my big V8 Chevy uses only a few oz. between changes and it has well over 140Kmi on it.

go ahead and chime any time customer care people, I have read posts saying there recall fix only took 45 minutes , I think two posts said they got there car back within 45 minutes another couple of posts said they had theres by noon, and I think one of those posts was from Tacoma, well my spark is in Tacoma at gilhcrest chevy for the excessive oil consumption recall and its been 17 days.

go ahead and chime any time customer care people, I have read posts saying there recall fix only took 45 minutes , I think two posts said they got there car back within 45 minutes another couple of posts said they had theres by noon, and I think one of those posts was from Tacoma, well my spark is in Tacoma at gilhcrest chevy for the excessive oil consumption recall and its been 17 days.

Try Jet Chevrolet in Federal Way. It did take them a few hrs, but not 17 days. I tried to get it in at Gillcrest for the a/c recall and I would have had to wait 2 weeks just to have them look at it. Just double check the oil level if you have them change it. Jet is the only dealer that I've been somewhat happy with so far. The only bad thing about Jet is that it's a long walk to the bus stop on Pacific to get back home, since I don't like waiting rooms. So far the pcv recall fixed my oil consumption issue. Avoid the dealer in Puyallup, those clowns never follow through on parts. Edited by austex04

I have a 2013 auto with 28kmi and have never seen the oil level drop at all between 5Kmi changes. I use a Valvoline 5w20 synthetic and find it very clean after 5Kmi with the level on the dipstick unmoved. 1 Qt between changes is way too much on a tiny engine that only holds 3.7Qt. Even my big V8 Chevy uses only a few oz. between changes and it has well over 140Kmi on it.

Yes, it's an amount that calls for a certain amount of regular monitoring and can eventually foul plugs/O2 sensor if not addressed.

Just called the dealer again, my appointment for the PCV replacement is tomorrow at 10. Checked the oil level yesterday at fillup and it was spot on.

I keep a big jug of Castrol 5w20 full synth Dexos handy just in case it gets a little low again.

Since I had this done I have put another 1100 miles on our spark. I have checked the oil several times since and its still on the full mark an still looks very clean. Its been 4,800 miles since my last oil change. I am taking it in for the second oil change next week before I head out on a 800 mile trip.

I think checking oil is like taking a glance up and down railroad crossings even though the lights aren't flashing. Stuff doesn't always work the way it's supposed to, and it's better to know before you make the crossing...

My sister had a Chevy Chevette Sandpiper (anybody remember those?) and she stopped by one day and said, "Ween my car is using tons of oil!" She just bought the car new a few months earlier.

I suspected the PCV valve and sure enough after 5 bucks and a new PCV valve no more oil consumption issue. That car went on another 10 years and 175k. She even started calling me by Wayne instead. Well, sometimes.

But, those were the days when people still checked their oil regularly... If they hadn't the story would have been quite different.

I think checking oil is like taking a glance up and down railroad crossings even though the lights aren't flashing. Stuff doesn't always work the way it's supposed to, and it's better to know before you make the crossing...

My sister had a Chevy Chevette Sandpiper (anybody remember those?) and she stopped by one day and said, "Ween my car is using tons of oil!" She just bought the car new a few months earlier.

I suspected the PCV valve and sure enough after 5 bucks and a new PCV valve no more oil consumption issue. That car went on another 10 years and 175k. She even started calling me by Wayne instead. Well, sometimes.

But, those were the days when people still checked their oil regularly... If they hadn't the story would have been quite different.

I had a 76 Chevette, it wasn't a Sandpiper but it was one step up from the Scooter.it had a 1.4L 4 with a 4 speed manual transmission. I was getting about 25mpg in the city and 32mpg on the hwy with a whopping 53hp. But that little bugger was fun to drive. I kept it for 7 years and put over 150,000 miles on it. It never used a drop of oil until a spark plug came apart and fell into the cylinder scoring up the cylinder wall at around 80,000 miles.

I had a 76 Chevette, it wasn't a Sandpiper but it was one step up from the Scooter.it had a 1.4L 4 with a 4 speed manual transmission. I was getting about 25mpg in the city and 32mpg on the hwy with a whopping 53hp. But that little bugger was fun to drive. I kept it for 7 years and put over 150,000 miles on it. It never used a drop of oil until a spark plug came apart and fell into the cylinder scoring up the cylinder wall at around 80,000 miles.

I remember driving it in a snowstorm and snow and slush kept pushing up the carpet thru gaping hole in the floorboards from rust. Got so bad that I couldn't operate the clutch or brakes, but we were laughing so hard it didn't matter.

I thought that car would go on forever, almost indestructible...