Looking at a spark but based on these forums I'm worried.

So I finally got to take it home today. It's funny you say the speakers suck in it because They're significantly better then what was in my old car.

Skids, I do want to put a small sub in the rear, what did you go with? I'm sure I can manage a install I've just never looked into subs and just a quick glance looks like everything is huge.

After driving it home for about 20 miles I tested out the gas meter on it and I finished my journey at 51.5 mpg. INSANE! I was being very conservative on the throttle so I imagine with my normal driving it'll be more like 40-45.

The only thing I miss are power locks. It feels so weird to manually lock my doors.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For every member here with issues there's probably 10 on the road happily driving their cars, blissfully unaware of any issues or the few jaded owners huddled together in this blighted place.

Well, you'll usually hear all sorts of complaints from the younger crowd when they first buy a new vehicle. Try and remember we have a couple two/three generations now with holier than now attitudes

Not everyone is having problems, but enough are that if I had seen all this before I bought mine, I would have purchased something else.

• 2 weeks later...

take a look at sonic electronics website, good selection and prices(crutchfield is expensive and if you find cheaper online use caution). you have 4" in the front and 4"x6" in the back .. i put clarion speakers on both, great range and low price.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_77127_Clarion-SRG1023R.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m33_i36_clarion-4x6-speakers.html

they sound super clean especially for the price, hear instruments and backgrounds in songs ive never heard before, and amazing you do get a bit of bass out of them. nothing shaking the rearview mirror, almost impossible to find in such small speakers. i put a powered rockford fosgate sub in the "trunk" its kind of big, takes up about half the trunk space (i should of measured better) i went off reviews and well is there such thing as too much bass it pounds and i have the gain and boot all the way down with 0 on the headunit eq with the remote all the way done. i should see if it fits in the spare hole. any way sounds super good.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43398_Rockford-Fosgate-P300-12.html

install was pretty simple, hardest part was find where to drill the whole from engine bay into the car to run the wire. the battery handled the sub fine no dimming lights, but i added a 5farad power cap just to help keep the strain off the engine/alternator/battery. youll need about 20ft of cable for the power and about 5 ft for ground to cover everything. the speakers come with speaker wire just need male terminal and you can plug into the stock connectors if you ever want to take the speakers out and go back to stock.

hope you enjoy your spark its fun little car

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12013_Power-Acoustik-PCX-5F.html

Ended up getting a red 2013 automatic LS! Didn't reAlly want a automatic but the dealership sold it to me for $9500 +299 in fees which was a awesome deal for 10,000 miles on it. Closest I had gotten was 11,000 for something Similar. Can't wait to pick it up Friday.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm planning on doing the air box delete and might do the ram air effect mod someone else was talking about in another post.

On a 2013 automatic, you got a "real" automatic, not a cheap, cheezy CVT (CVTs are junk, on all makes and models of cars. They are cheap to make, and will usually get the car through the warranty period) I wanted an automatic, but not a CVT. I was going to get the base Spark with a manual, and install aftermarket cruise control, since it was going to be mostly a highway car (but not driven at 75-80 mph) But the local dealer had a new white Sonic sedan, 1LT automatic, with cruise, on sale for $3000 off. I bought it the same day I found it. It has a 1.8L engine, but I never drive it over 60 mph, no matter what the speed limit is. I nursemaided my '01 Malibu past 200,000 miles by doing frequent maintenance and keeping the speed down. It was also amazing what the difference in MPG was between 60 mph and 75 mph. More than a 5 mpg difference.

I totally believe GM knows exactly what the cause of the engine problems are with the Spark. They just don't want to fix it. Most Sparks probably make it past the 5 year warranty before the engine blows, and after that it is the owners problem. It's probably cheaper for them to replace an engine once in a while than fix the problem.

On a 2013 automatic, you got a "real" automatic, not a cheap, cheezy CVT (CVTs are junk, on all makes and models of cars. They are cheap to make, and will usually get the car through the warranty period) I wanted an automatic, but not a CVT. I was going to get the base Spark with a manual, and install aftermarket cruise control, since it was going to be mostly a highway car (but not driven at 75-80 mph) But the local dealer had a new white Sonic sedan, 1LT automatic, with cruise, on sale for $3000 off. I bought it the same day I found it. It has a 1.8L engine, but I never drive it over 60 mph, no matter what the speed limit is. I nursemaided my '01 Malibu past 200,000 miles by doing frequent maintenance and keeping the speed down. It was also amazing what the difference in MPG was between 60 mph and 75 mph. More than a 5 mpg difference.

I totally believe GM knows exactly what the cause of the engine problems are with the Spark. They just don't want to fix it. Most Sparks probably make it past the 5 year warranty before the engine blows, and after that it is the owners problem. It's probably cheaper for them to replace an engine once in a while than fix the problem.

CVT are getting better, but it is still a matter of force required to move the mass, I'm concerned that they won't make it past 100,000 myself which is why I'm not interested in them right now. Maybe some day.

As to the problems with the 1.25L motor, yeah they might know, and as long as most dealers just stick to the spec. and tell the customer there is nothing they can do, a lot of these cars will go on down the road burning oil and running at around 50 percent output. This is a good little car, but it may require a body and name change once they work out all the problems to make it that good car. Since GM has stopped Chevy in Europe, a lot of things may change and not all for the better. The more items that you produce that are the same for the world, the less each costs, which drives the price of the assembled vehicles down, and should also drive the reliability up.

I don't know why you guys are having problems... The cvt takes getting used to, and i feel has a break in period (i've heard it learns your driving style and adjusts to it some where) it is a little slow off the line (it only has 88 hp) but once you're going if you know how to drive it you can whip it around other cars with ease. This car replaced my 93 geo metro 3cly manual and i can totally see where this car came from its a commuter not a rice burner. the CVT isn't as fun as a manual diving all fast and furious style, but it's a whole lot funner than driving stick in rush hour. I have a 07 silverado with a 6.0 and a 13 sonic with the 1.4T. its not as fast as either one, and i dont expect it to be. You have to know what you're driving and how to drive it to get the most out of it, whether it be performance or economy or both. Drive the CVT like its a clutchless manual take your foot off the gas when you reaching shifting RPM and youll get better of both. ;D

For what it's worth.....I have a 2014 Spark LS with manual trans. Just turned 9,000 miles and not a single problem with it. I live in the desert (Tucson) and even on 105 degree days the A/C blows cold, although it does take a few minutes of driving before it has good output. I am averaging just shy of 40mpg, combined driving including 80mph stints on the I 10 between Tucson and Phoenix. I drove a CVT Spark and did not like it,, I am not a fan of CVTs at all. I have always preferred a manual trans, and when you only have 90 hp to deal with, a manual will do you better for sure. Apparently, the 2013 models had many more problems than the 2014 models have. A/C performance and oil consumption were the biggest complaints from what I have read and heard. I really like my Spark, my biggest complaint are the small outside mirrors....WAY to small. Other than that I think the Spark is a decent car at a decent price. Certainly not the car for everyone, but for me, for now, it fits the bill just fine.

While I love the look of the Spark I decided it just wasn't worth the probability of potential issues. I purchased a Mitsubishi Mirage instead. While I was at the dealer a small family showed up and picked up their New Mirage. They were trading in a Spark they weren't happy with. In my mind that validated my decision to get a Mirage over the Spark. I was also shocked to see that on the chevy website there is no 2015 non-EV spark. I wonder if the spark will be replaced by another nameplate to sweep the issues under the rug?

While I love the look of the Spark I decided it just wasn't worth the probability of potential issues. I purchased a Mitsubishi Mirage instead. While I was at the dealer a small family showed up and picked up their New Mirage. They were trading in a Spark they weren't happy with. In my mind that validated my decision to get a Mirage over the Spark. I was also shocked to see that on the chevy website there is no 2015 non-EV spark. I wonder if the spark will be replaced by another nameplate to sweep the issues under the rug?

Yes, the new Mirage looks good, and even gets more mpgs than the Spark, but I would not buy one just yet. I made the same mistake with buying the Spark, like so many on this forum, soon after it arrived to north America. I thought since it was doing well in Europe, it should also be reliable here, boy was I wrong! GM made too many changes to the car for our market that they created a monster of a little car that would have been a winner otherwise. Now that the Ford Fiesta had been around for a few years, I know to avoid the automatic trans in that car, otherwise it's reliable. I think I'll wait a few years and see what becomes of the Mirage, if I decide I've had enough of my Spark before then (which maybe very soon), I'll be looking at the Fiesta, a used Hyundai Accent, or Toyota Yaris.

The difference is that the Mirage has already been out a year and there just aren't the flood of complaints like the Spark has had. We have a local taxi company that ditched their Sparks shortly after getting them due to issues. They're now buying Mirages and they seem to be holding up well. That told me all I needed to know. If they can survive a taxi service I think they're gonna do well. But I can understand your not trusting any newer model after the issues most Spark owners have had to endure.

My Fiesta is pretty nice, but it has less than 400 miles so I wouldn't expect problems in such a short time. Showed a little over 40 mpg on the way to work, lunch took a bite out of that, and now almost at 40mpg again after coming home. Not too different from my Spark and lots more room inside. Ford Touch stereo is decently nice, but its an upper model option and really compares more closely with a Sonic in price (feature for feature on the Fiesta I bought). The big price increase was so I could get the better driver seat with the lumber support, that pushes you to an SE and another $1000 for the comfort package. Fog lights must be installed when ordered, they can not be dealer installed later!!! Only other option for fogs would be a typical aftermarket style install.

Oh and the headlights in the Fiesta suck! No excuses for such a poor performer when things like the Spark prove that headlights can be functional and not break the bank. Yes driving lights have been ordered, and in my opinion are required for any non-city and back roads where you might need high beams.

It was between the spark and mirage for me after having my '93 geo metro totaled (1.0 L 3 cylinder 5 speed manual) It was fun having the little beater to drive around in so i was used to small ugly and under powered but the manual was such a pain, especially sitting in LA traffic. I had to go automatic. i was set on the mirage because the spark was so much smaller. but the purple interior. all the interior in general so boring and cheap. the spark has cheap plastic too but some style to it. and the exterior angles, compared to mirages, and fiesta curves (look like a jelly bean and slug to me) there is a performance difference from the spark to mirage as well i wanted good mpg but needed to be able to move it when need be. almost time for my first oil change and no issues. plus the way mitsubishi has been doing in the US. i wouldn't doubt if they were the next car company to go down that worried me a lot if they would even be around for the 10 year warranty.

and there will be a 2015 spark (search 2016 spark theres already spy photos) if you check the rest of the chevy line up there are few models that have the 2015 up already. theres the 2015 spark ev because it changes for '15 the gas version probably wont. you can email chevy customer service and ask what changes are expected for the 2015 spark. probably a back up cam or different paint colors. nothing major til 2016 with the change in exterior.

and there will be a 2015 spark (search 2016 spark theres already spy photos) if you check the rest of the chevy line up there are few models that have the 2015 up already. theres the 2015 spark ev because it changes for '15 the gas version probably wont. you can email chevy customer service and ask what changes are expected for the 2015 spark. probably a back up cam or different paint colors. nothing major til 2016 with the change in exterior.

From what I've read, the '15 gasoline powered Sparks will start to appear in the spring of 2015.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are?

Well, you'll usually hear all sorts of complaints from the younger crowd when they first buy a new vehicle. Try and remember we have a couple two/three generations now with holier than now attitudes and expectations. Couple that with how the Internet has given rise to b.s. as an art form and almost down to a science, meaning even the one time rag 'Consumer Reports' are full of bias and b.s.

We Americans tend to base and judge everything on 0-60 times and leather interiors.

Had I listen to all the so called people in the know out there I'd miss out on a great deal I got on my Spark, not to mention when I drove it home, which was Tuesday afternoon it had to go directly on the hwy. to get home. Yeah, I knew then I made the right decision. Even getting the standard which I had not drove in years.

'lil' Sparky can hold it's own and you talk about being practical, that's my middle name. I got it in Lemonade, at 58 I don't care what I look like. It may be small but you won't miss my Spark on the road. And talk about room inside, I can pack that thing like a pack rat on Saturdays.

Bottom line dude, you shopping price or utility, cause you can have both with the Spark and not be embarrassed to be seen driving it.

One thing is certain it's a far better vehicle than my 58 hp. Chevy Metro was. And I drove that one into the ground.

Me thinks 'ole Spark may go the distance as well, perhaps even longer than I will.

Good luck with your decision.

Well, you'll usually hear all sorts of complaints from the younger crowd when they first buy a new vehicle. Try and remember we have a couple two/three generations now with holier than now attitudes and expectations. Couple that with how the Internet has given rise to b.s. as an art form and almost down to a science, meaning even the one time rag 'Consumer Reports' are full of bias and b.s.

We Americans tend to base and judge everything on 0-60 times and leather interiors.

Had I listen to all the so called people in the know out there I'd miss out on a great deal I got on my Spark, not to mention when I drove it home, which was Tuesday afternoon it had to go directly on the hwy. to get home. Yeah, I knew then I made the right decision. Even getting the standard which I had not drove in years.

'lil' Sparky can hold it's own and you talk about being practical, that's my middle name. I got it in Lemonade, at 58 I don't care what I look like. It may be small but you won't miss my Spark on the road. And talk about room inside, I can pack that thing like a pack rat on Saturdays.

Bottom line dude, you shopping price or utility, cause you can have both with the Spark and not be embarrassed to be seen driving it.

One thing is certain it's a far better vehicle than my 58 hp. Chevy Metro was. And I drove that one into the ground.

Me thinks 'ole Spark may go the distance as well, perhaps even longer than I will.

Good luck with your decision.

Because all of us so called people are idiots, all I can say is I hope your brand new car lasts better than some of the rest of ours did. A first day owners opinion is actually pretty worthless since you have almost zero seat time. And as far as being young and easy to complain... I've been on the "internet" since dial up 9600 bps was "fast" and remember using bbs with 2400bps.

My Metro lasted significantly longer than my Spark would have lasted, I also drove my metro until it was only good enough for scrap metal, it was a great little car until the rust got so bad it just wasn't worth keeping (no longer safe to drive).

Because all of us so called people are idiots

Don't know about all that, but in the long run it will last as long as your Ford will that's a given. And at thousands less, to maintain it as well.

I say drive what you like and be happy. I thought my 2012 iQ was a great car. Of course now I discover the Spark has the lowest cost of onwership over a 5 year period of any vehicle on the road acording to those s called experts and has an even better reliability rating than my iQ had.

Oh well, live and let live is what I always say.

Fortunately there are still people who can think for themselves and make their own decisions. I feel sorry for those who passed on a great car based on irrational fear. I also had a Metro back in the day. I bought a top of the line LSI model , 4cyl automatic.It was strictly a work car but I after awhile I felt embarrassed driving it.It was a good car and no problems till around 70K miles then intermittently stall. Comparing that car to a 2LT Spark is night and day.

The Spark not only gets admiration but is better in every way.Although it's been ultra reliable I do feel I made a mistake , I should have bought two of them !

You are lucky, I wish mine had been that problem free because I would still own it. It is a great design, but there seems to be too many problems with quality control, and too many problems with dealers not wanting to fix them. The first can be tolerated if the second doesn't exist and things actually get addressed properly.

Edited by Greg_E

I have owned mine for 3 months and 3 weeks and have put over 7,500 miles on it. This car continues to impress me for the size of the engine and how it drives on the highway. Its no speed demon acellerating but its livable. And once it gets moving it has no trouble keeping up with traffic. The CVT keeps the highway rpms low and it react as quickly to hills to not slow down when on cruise at 65-70mph.

I usually go on my own experience with cars and not rely too much on others experience mainly because I have no idea how or where they drive or how they treat their car compared to the way I do. I have owned cars where people and reviewers say not to buy because they are junk, but I have had no issues. Then I have bought cars that are rated most reliable and trouble free and their owners rave how great they are and I have many issues nobody else says they have had. So in my honest opinion with any car you buy you may or may not have issues. I have found nothing bad to say yet about my little Spark.(notice I said yet)

Edited by Angrybird12
  • 2 weeks later...

I also had a Metro back in the day.

i bought this car to replace my 93 metro 1.0L 3 cyl 5 speed that got totaled (pulling out of your driveway is hard for some people, thanks lady for not looking behind you for parked cars) i got the cvt because manual is just a pain in Los angeles traffic. this literally is the new metro, and with them coming out with trax, its basically the geo tracker replacement. you get all the benefits of the little metro, with all the benefits of modern technology and features. its all win in my book.

• 3 months later...

A brand new computer controlled car simply should not be having issues. Yes it can happen, but it should be one in a million, and the dealer should take care of it immediately if it is under warranty. You buy a brand new car, pay sales tax, dealer fees, and take a huge initial depreciation hit all for one thing. Reliability. You should be able to get in your new Spark and head from LA to NYC without a care in the world. You should expect it to last at least close to 200,000 miles (my '01 Chevy did) You can't use the fact that it is an inexpensive car to justify it's issues. Even at the MSRP of the base model, if you only get 100,000 miles out of it, you have lost a lot of money. You could have paid twice the price for a much nicer car, gotten over 200,000 miles out of it, and enjoyed driving a much nicer car. I actually like the Spark, but I'm a car guy, and don't mind the noise and rough ride, in fact I like it.

For anyone considering an LT model just for the cruise control, Rostra makes an aftermarket cruise control for the manual trans Spark for under $200, much less than upgrading to an LT from an LS.

In comparing the Spark to the Geo/Chevrolet Metro, and the Chevy Aveo, The Spark seems to have quite a bit more complaints than either of those. And the Aveo was considered a horrible car. I just saw one on Craigslist with 137,000 miles. Of course I have no way of knowing what kind of problems the owner(s) had during that time. I do know the owner of an '06 HHR with close to 300,000 miles on it, with no major problems, still has original 2.4 engine and auto trans. My 2014 Sonic transmission went out at 11,000 miles, I grudgingly decided to keep it after the trans was replaced. Now it is back at the dealer again, the temp gauge failed. Just over 14,000 miles. And now I'm pretty much stuck with it, it has depreciated so much I would lose a fortune by selling it. I am now driving a denim blue Spark. Again.

23500 as of today on the 'new' car.. just passed the 1 year anniversary with it. Wife had another for a few months before she wrecked it, so this is #2

Issues I had were minor.

Both cars were Stickshift car 1LT

1. Reverse is a little bit of a throw to get engaged.. Inherent to these cars, as the old car did it too. Can grind if not careful. Just requires some thought to drive it... No worse than my E36 BMW which is to the left and up and a bit of a throw to get it in gear.

2. I think in the first few months we had a tire go down a bit.. put in air, was fine since.

3. The radio 'reset' once. Can't explain it, but it was in international mode, looking for a rear view camera and everything. Wish it stayed!

4. Since my dealer is always backed up with recalls (lol) I just do my own oil changes. Uses 1 qt or so in 7K miles.. 99% highway driving. I can't complain.

Still have the PCV recall to do, along with all my others.

Averages 39.5 - 41.5 MPG in daily commuting... snow tires have lowered it 1 or 2. Oh well, lol.

I'd buy another.