Anyone have an aftermarket cruise control on a manual transmission Spark, and if so how do you like it. If I get a Spark, I decided to go for the bare bones base model, as it is several thousand $$$ cheaper than a fully loaded 1LT auto. I also do not like the CVT. I don't see a problem with the manual transmission (I have fairly severe arthritis) but my leg cramps up after a fairly short distance on highway trips. I have found you can get these cruise controls for around $250.

I had a Rostra cruise control kit installed on my old car, and it worked good. I thought about buying the kit for this car, but decided it was not worth it, since I would hardly use it. The kit for the Spark looks easier to install, since our cars use electronic throttles. I did get a couple of quotes for the kit and installation, from 400 to 450 installed.

I found the cruise control for about $250, and could install it myself. My current car is the only one I've ever had (and I've had quite a few) with cruise control. I have 2 other cars without cruise control, but they are vintage, and are insured as collector cars. I only drive them around locally. I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, and bad knees, and cannot drive long distances on the freeway without lots of pain and leg cramps without cruise control. Since I retired I want to spend a lot more time traveling than I ever had time to do before. And to do that, I have to have cruise control. I still do fine with a manual trans, it's holding my leg in the same position for hours at the time that causes me problems. And if you can get a cruise control for $250, a base model Spark seems like a far better deal than paying thousands more for an upscale model, when you consider the quality is the same. If it has cruise control and A/C, I'm good to go.

• 1 year later...

I hate to dig up old posts, but this one really saved me a lot of trouble. To add to the info above I purchased the Rosta kit for my 2015 LS w/CVT. The dealer wouldn't install it so I did it myself. Took about an hour tops including soldering in the three connections that you'll need to splice under the dash. The rest is a total plug-n-play operation.

The biggest problem I had was trying to find a good spot to place the controller/computer from the kit. I found that if you pop off the fuse panel and pop out the side panel adjacent to the door that you'll find a nice pocket there to mount it. Additionally as the fuse box is already in there you already have the built in wire chase to use for running the rest of the wiring to the throttle, OBD2, and ignition power. A little wire wrap, zip ties, and good to go. Looks like a very professional install and I doubt the dealers it goes to for service will ever notice.

• 4 months later...

I hate to dig up old posts, but this one really saved me a lot of trouble. To add to the info above I purchased the Rosta kit for my 2015 LS w/CVT. The dealer wouldn't install it so I did it myself. Took about an hour tops including soldering in the three connections that you'll need to splice under the dash. The rest is a total plug-n-play operation.

The biggest problem I had was trying to find a good spot to place the controller/computer from the kit. I found that if you pop off the fuse panel and pop out the side panel adjacent to the door that you'll find a nice pocket there to mount it. Additionally as the fuse box is already in there you already have the built in wire chase to use for running the rest of the wiring to the throttle, OBD2, and ignition power. A little wire wrap, zip ties, and good to go. Looks like a very professional install and I doubt the dealers it goes to for service will ever notice.

I followed your post advise and now also have a nicely installed cruise control. Would have never thought about the side panel of the dash popping out.

Thanks

Mike K