spark questions

hello all, I have been looking for a "new" used car for quite a while (another Malibu) for around 15000 and then realized that I could purchase a New spark for the same price. So I guess the questions I have is, does anyone have any problems with the spark. Any info would be great, I plan on buying one next weekend. Thanks

I would definitely wait for the 2015 model if I were you, that should give you the best chance of getting a solid car. Yaris, Fiesta, Mazda 2, Rio are some good alternatives in similar price range.

Edited by Greg_E

Oh, the 15 should start selling soon, but might still take a month or more to really get here. Sonic or Cruze are your other choices, but they will start to climb towards or above $20,000 really fast.

There have been fewer complaints from the 14 year Sparks, but I don't want to lead you into anything.

Edited by Greg_E

I would compare the Sonic and the Spark. Later build dates on the '14 Spark may have had the a/c quirks worked out. A base Sonic with dealer discounts and GM incentives would also be in your price range. Yaris and Mazda2 will be over budget, but both are great cars, you often get what you pay for. Finding simple parts for a Spark can be a problem, even though the Spark has become a popular commute appliance, I stress APPLIANCE instead of car.

I would go test drive and compare features and safety and actual driving dynamics. I have had Toyota and while it may be as reliable as the Spark, its incredibly boring and cheaply made.If your concerned about the A/C , there's a fix for it, keeping in mind that only some , but not all Sparks need anything.The Spark is very low cost maintenance compared to others.Toyota doesn't use self adjusting valves like the Spark and its a very time consuming expensive repair. I wouldn't base any decisions on what you read on the Internet. Go drive one and talk to actual owners if you see one . I would only say to avoid early build 13s , only due to running changes in features.When you look at what others cars lack or what they charge extra or don't even offer , you will be surprised.

I was dead set on a Spark, but decided not to buy one at this time because of all the problems. I also don't know how long it can be expected to last (with proper maintenance and no abuse) I am currently driving a 2001 Malibu that has 190,000 miles on it and expect it to easily go past 200,000 miles. I know many of the Sparks competitors will do that. I have also found Geo Metros and Chevy Aveos with 200,000+ miles on them. Yet I get the idea that the Spark probably would not last that long. Of course nobody knows for sure. I don't really care that the Spark is an appliance. Everything in my price range is going to be an appliance. Actually being a vintage car owner and enthusiast, I pretty much consider all new cars appliances. My Malibu is the most boring car I've ever owned, and I would expect a new one to be the same. I just want something that will get me where I want to go and back, get good mileage, and last a long time

I'm in the same boat as you BB, an old car guy who bought something new for the fiance' because I had enough projects and wanted something to just drive with a warranty. But wifeytobe works 35 miles away. Hmm. 79 F100, 78 Cougar, 93 Cavalier, or 93 BMW. One or two are down at all times, and none really get the mileage (ok the BMW can put down 29 if I try, with premium)

Father has a Spark LS with 45K miles, no issues (did have the A/C fixed awhile ago).

Bought wifetobe a green 1lT 5spd in January, now has 9600 mi on it. No issues. Of course I couldn't leave it alone with a few mild mods. I'm looking for 10 years out of it. Even out of warranty, in the future, the car seems cheap and easy enough to work on, which was one of my criteria. She's happy.

hello all, I have been looking for a "new" used car for quite a while (another Malibu) for around 15000 and then realized that I could purchase a New spark for the same price. So I guess the questions I have is, does anyone have any problems with the spark. Any info would be great, I plan on buying one next weekend. Thanks

For openers, let me just say, that there isn't a car made on this planet, that can or will guarantee you that you will never have a problem. It's just not going to happen, this is the reason that all car dealers have service dept's. I have been driving my Spark now for 18 months, I took it in for the a/c fix, that we didn't believe that GM was working on, and that was the biggest complaint we had, it dominated this forum for a year, as we bitched and moaned, how badly we got screwed, by GM. Three hours at the dealership, and it is now working fine, it also went in for a faulty rear windshield washer, which I dropped off at 8 am, and picked up at lunch. Outside of that, just routine maintenance. Will it continue to stand up as well as it has up to now? I don't know, and neither does anyone else. A few people here have had a couple of more serious problems, but from what I've read, GM is servicing them. But they are not in the majority. Let me assure you that I am not a GM fanboy, but the criticism here is getting ridiculous. The Spark is a great little car, compare it to any other car in it's class, and check the differences in standard equipment, fit and finish, at a entry level price, and you will find it is a great buy. I can understand a few of the owners here feeling frustrated, when they run into some problems that piss them off, and they squawk, especially if they are dealing with lousy dealerships, which in some cases is the problem. Now we have non owners here criticizing a car because they are not sure it will hit 200,000 mi. I can't swear to it, but it's possible that Rolls Royce, or Bentley may offer some sort of extended warranty. Just keep in mind, this is the internet, and happy people don't complain, and if you do decide to buy a Spark, you will get a full 3yr. bumper to bumper, and 5yr. drive train warranty, should you have a problem. Good luck in whatever you decide.

To be honest I bought a brand new $40,000 F350 back in 2004 that had the 6.0 power stroke and it had lots more problems for almost everyone than anything I've seen here yet... the 2003 6.0's were a total nightmare and Ford was buying those back by the truck load...... 1st year for a new engine from Ford seems to be the best ones to avoid like the plague as it has happened on a very regular basis.

My 04 had leaky oil lines to the injectors,bad intercooler pipe clamps and mating surfaces, cockeyed turbo pedestal, clogged / faulty EGR, oh and the transmission totally grenaded because they used a $.10 snap ring instead of the $.15 one when it was assembled at the factory. All of those things had TSB's issued for them, all of the items were fixed under warranty. I had a love hate relationship with that truck, it could tow 14,000 lbs like nothing was even hooked behind it...... I went through all the headaches of the recalls and who ever has it now probably has never had a lick of trouble and thinks it's the best thing ever made. Kind of like my old VW diesel, it has 600,000 on it now and it runs like a swiss watch, but I have no idea what headaches the 1 st owner might have had when it was new.

I take everything I read on the internet about cars with a grain of salt since what you mostly hear is on the extreme ends of the spectrum, either the folks who have horrible experiences or the ones who have the most perfect ones.... the in between crowd just don't bother sharing most of the time.

My father has an 04. Had the trans recall (It didn't grenade), a PS line fail, EGR cooler / turbo.. all under warranty. I liked his 03 7.3 better.

Yep an 03 with the 7.3 and a MT is probably one of the best ones ever built, other than some CPS issues they were trouble free. Chip it and drive it like ya stole it.... damn near bullet proof.

My 2014 Spark LS manual just turned over 6K and runs like a top. Absolutely no problems and the last 2 fill ups were with NO ethanol gas,,,it runs better and now averaging nearly 43 mpg with mixed driving, including 75 mph in the desert here on the I-10. A/C blows ice cold, I realize that 6k miles isn't much but so far I am very pleased with the car.

For openers, let me just say, that there isn't a car made on this planet, that can or will guarantee you that you will never have a problem. It's just not going to happen, this is the reason that all car dealers have service dept's. I have been driving my Spark now for 18 months, I took it in for the a/c fix, that we didn't believe that GM was working on, and that was the biggest complaint we had, it dominated this forum for a year, as we bitched and moaned, how badly we got screwed, by GM. Three hours at the dealership, and it is now working fine, it also went in for a faulty rear windshield washer, which I dropped off at 8 am, and picked up at lunch. Outside of that, just routine maintenance. Will it continue to stand up as well as it has up to now? I don't know, and neither does anyone else. A few people here have had a couple of more serious problems, but from what I've read, GM is servicing them. But they are not in the majority. Let me assure you that I am not a GM fanboy, but the criticism here is getting ridiculous. The Spark is a great little car, compare it to any other car in it's class, and check the differences in standard equipment, fit and finish, at a entry level price, and you will find it is a great buy. I can understand a few of the owners here feeling frustrated, when they run into some problems that piss them off, and they squawk, especially if they are dealing with lousy dealerships, which in some cases is the problem. Now we have non owners here criticizing a car because they are not sure it will hit 200,000 mi. I can't swear to it, but it's possible that Rolls Royce, or Bentley may offer some sort of extended warranty. Just keep in mind, this is the internet, and happy people don't complain, and if you do decide to buy a Spark, you will get a full 3yr. bumper to bumper, and 5yr. drive train warranty, should you have a problem. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I have owned 4 new GM cars (including a 1987 Pontiac Fiero, a car that everybody seemed to have issues with) and several used ones. I never had any major problems with any of them. I don't count my '72 Chevelle and '63 Nova, because I rebuilt them myself from the ground up.

But when you are buying a transportation car, how many miles it will last is the most important consideration, because miles are what you are buying. It's like buying drill bits. What you are really buying is holes, and if one drill bit will drill a lot more holes than another one and cost only a tiny bit more, it's obviously the one to get. High dollar sports cars and luxury cars, just like vintage cars, offer something more intangible than just transportation that has value to some people. But economy cars only offer cheap transportation,. and the longer they last, and the fewer problems they have, the more transportation you get for your money. If I could afford it, I would be buying a new Camaro. But the Spark or another inexpensive car is what I actually need, and it is important to me to be able to pay cash rather than financing it. I find the Spark more attractive than any of the other small inexpensive cars currently available.

I have owned 4 new GM cars (including a 1987 Pontiac Fiero, a car that everybody seemed to have issues with) and several used ones. I never had any major problems with any of them. I don't count my '72 Chevelle and '63 Nova, because I rebuilt them myself from the ground up.

But when you are buying a transportation car, how many miles it will last is the most important consideration, because miles are what you are buying. It's like buying drill bits. What you are really buying is holes, and if one drill bit will drill a lot more holes than another one and cost only a tiny bit more, it's obviously the one to get. High dollar sports cars and luxury cars, just like vintage cars, offer something more intangible than just transportation that has value to some people. But economy cars only offer cheap transportation,. and the longer they last, and the fewer problems they have, the more transportation you get for your money. If I could afford it, I would be buying a new Camaro. But the Spark or another inexpensive car is what I actually need, and it is important to me to be able to pay cash rather than financing it. I find the Spark more attractive than any of the other small inexpensive cars currently available.

I totally understand what you're saying, but there is absolutely no way of knowing how the car will behave. It is a crapshoot, your only option is to buy a Spark, and hope for the best, or buy something else, and again, hope for the best. If you lay out some hard earned cash, and experience some serious problems, then you can scream away, but then again, this applies to anything you buy. Up to this point, it is just a lot of buts, and maybes. Maybe it will be a great car, maybe a lemon. Everyone on this board has taken the same gamble, some are luckier than others, but who knows what the future will bring? This is the reality.

• 2 months later...