Thanks for all the information

I appreciate all the information I found here. I have decided to pass on the Spark. Just too many issues and practically no support from GM. They should know about the problems with this car by now, and fix them, and quit trying to weasel out of repairing cars under warranty. It looks like they just cut to many corners on this car to keep the price down and still make a profit. This is 2014. A car should easily last 200,000 miles with almost no problems. Engines failing at 25,000 miles is ridiculous. It comes with OnStar, which I don't want, and don't know how to get rid of, and doesn't come with a spare tire, which I would have to come up with my own. This is a great car in concept, but in reality it just didn't turn out that way. I'm still a Chevy guy, but will stick with old ones. I decided to look into a Toyota Yaris. It's a couple thousand more, but nobody seems to be complaining about them falling apart. No OnStar, but they do come with a spare.

Get your act together GM. After '08 you said you would do better. You may not get bailed out again. Bob.

I appreciate all the information I found here. I have decided to pass on the Spark. Just too many issues and practically no support from GM. They should know about the problems with this car by now, and fix them, and quit trying to weasel out of repairing cars under warranty. It looks like they just cut to many corners on this car to keep the price down and still make a profit. This is 2014. A car should easily last 200,000 miles with almost no problems. Engines failing at 25,000 miles is ridiculous. It comes with OnStar, which I don't want, and don't know how to get rid of, and doesn't come with a spare tire, which I would have to come up with my own. This is a great car in concept, but in reality it just didn't turn out that way. I'm still a Chevy guy, but will stick with old ones. I decided to look into a Toyota Yaris. It's a couple thousand more, but nobody seems to be complaining about them falling apart. No OnStar, but they do come with a spare.

Get your act together GM. After '08 you said you would do better. You may not get bailed out again. Bob.

Oh, I thought that you already owned one. Two things,,,a LOT of new cars do not come with a spare tire. And lastly, I owned a 07 Toyota Yaris. FANTASTIC motor in the thing, and the car never gave me one single problem. I liked everything about it except for the 4 speed auto trans.I like the manual trans in my Spark. If you choose a Yaris, that would be a wise decision. They aren't the greatest looking small car but as for dependability and reliability, you can't go wrong.I also believe that the crash ratings on the Yaris are better than what they used to be.

Yaris is a very good, but boring, small car. I know someone who owed 2 Echos and 1 Yaris. Both Echos had almost 200k miles on them with no major issues. The Yaris has 320k miles, engine and auto trans are orig, never a major issue since new. The only issues they have are belt pulleys when they get miles on them. I suggest pricing new and used, the sticker prices on them are steep for what little you get, almost in base Corolla price range. The Hyundai Accent is another good bet, and you get much more for the money.

I think you should go look at the Ford Fiesta before you buy, the SE model has some really nice features available, and comes with a donut spare. Every now and then the 6 speed dual clutch offers up a problem, but Ford support mostly gets those fixed. The manuals seem to last a good long time with some 2011 owners already above 100,000 miles of mostly trouble free driving. Not saying the Ford dealers are perfect as you do find the occasional runaround, but they seem to be on top of it. There are also a lot of customization parts on the market, including parts from Ford racing.

Thanks. I am also looking at both the Fiesta and the Mazda 2, which are very similar. Most small cars in my price range are going to be boring. I have already accepted that. I need it for transportation. Few cars are more boring than the first gen front wheel drive Malibu. It is a fleet car. But it gets me there and back. I'm buying a new car because the Malibu if finally wearing out. I do expect it to go past 200,000 miles. I'm giving it to my daughter, who will be driving it mostly around town. I will still maintain it.

I also realize that what happened to the members on this forum is not representative of all Spark owners, most likely came here because they had problems. But the Spark has low ratings several other places, and it seems that most people who have had issues were not treated right by GM. I get the idea that Spark owners are not being taken seriously by GM, possibly because they did not spend enough money for the car.

Edited by Big-Bob

Thanks. I am also looking at both the Fiesta and the Mazda 2, which are very similar. Most small cars in my price range are going to be boring. I have already accepted that. I need it for transportation. Few cars are more boring than the first gen front wheel drive Malibu. It is a fleet car. But it gets me there and back. I'm buying a new car because the Malibu if finally wearing out. I do expect it to go past 200,000 miles. I'm giving it to my daughter, who will be driving it mostly around town. I will still maintain it.

I also realize that what happened to the members on this forum is not representative of all Spark owners, most likely came here because they had problems. But the Spark has low ratings several other places, and it seems that most people who have had issues were not treated right by GM. I get the idea that Spark owners are not being taken seriously by GM, possibly because they did not spend enough money for the car.

I drove a Mazda 2 and was VERY impressed with it. I was actually going to buy one but saved about $4,500 by purchasing the Spark instead. You will not go wrong buying either a Toyota Yaris, a Mazda 2, event a Hyundai Accent. I personally would be leary of the Ford Fiesta. Lots of problems with the dual clutch set up along with problems with the Sync system. Also, the back seat is almost un-useable as far as for having people back there. I guess I am a lucky Spark owner. Approcahing 6,000 miles with mine and zero problems. Even the A/C blows cold and it was 110 here in Marana Arizona yesterday and today.

Mazda 2 has enough parts that can be exchanged with the Fiesta that I think they may have been designed together in some sort of partnership. Reading around I don't find that many problems with the power shift, not suggesting that they don't exist, but they don't seem to be horribly widespread. Most often it is throw out bearing or clutch pack.

Ford and Mazda have been partners for decades. Mazda built the first Ford Courier pickup, and later Mazda trucks were the same as the Ford Ranger. However that partnership ended in 2010. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda

These other cars are certainly more expensive to buy initially than the Spark, but they actually come out costing less if they will go 200,000 miles without serious problems. I did some reading on the Yaris forum, and found surprisingly few complaints. Around here the 2014 Yaris is almost sold out, and the 2015 model is UGLY. I may just go ahead with the Mazda. It just had a redesign, and the 2015 model should look the same. I wish I was still able to get in and out of a Miata.

Ford and Mazda have been partners for decades. Mazda built the first Ford Courier pickup, and later Mazda trucks were the same as the Ford Ranger. However that partnership ended in 2010. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda

These other cars are certainly more expensive to buy initially than the Spark, but they actually come out costing less if they will go 200,000 miles without serious problems. I did some reading on the Yaris forum, and found surprisingly few complaints. Around here the 2014 Yaris is almost sold out, and the 2015 model is UGLY. I may just go ahead with the Mazda. It just had a redesign, and the 2015 model should look the same. I wish I was still able to get in and out of a Miata.

If you can get past the looks of the Yaris, it very well might be the most dependable and reliable small car out there.