Why are there no TV, Radio commercials?

I drive a 2013 Spark 1LT, my wife has a 2013 Spark 2LT. Both have been trouble-free and our next set of vehicles will most likely be another set of Chevy Sparks. We have seen what appears to be an unlimited amount of advertising for Smart Cars, Mini Coopers, Honda Fits, the Fiat 500, the Toyota Yaris, on and on. We have yet to see one TV ad for the fabulous Chevy Spark. Does someone know the reason for this?

They make more than that in different ways than cash. If they didn't then there is no way one dealer could be selling them for $10,000 when other dealers must sell them for $12,995. Sometimes you sell near cost so that you are allowed to have a higher market, more profitable vehicle. Not sure if Chevy does this last part, but I know motorcycle dealers are often forced to take cycles they know they can't sell in order to get the ones that they can sell really well. Honda really forces this and assigns different "levels" to the dealers based on how much of the line they are willing to take. Gold level finds a way to sell almost all of the two and four wheeled machines whether they like it or not because it is the only way to get a couple of hot models.

• 1 month later...

I have seen movies presented back to back exclusively by the Fiat 500. Smart Car ads fall like a light snow. I'll tell you why there are no Chevy Spark ads... it is made in South Korea. When the Aveo (South Korea) became the Sonic (Made in USA) after a tech upgrade and a new sheet metal style upgrade, there was a MASSIVE ad campaign. Remember the Sonic parachuting, plunging into swimming pools, doing a barrel roll before a screaming audience during the Super Bowl? The United Auto Workers have an enormous say in GM. Especially GM North America. You can sell it, but NO advertising.

I drive a 2013 Spark 1LT, my wife has a 2013 Spark 2LT. Both have been trouble-free and our next set of vehicles will most likely be another set of Chevy Sparks. We have seen what appears to be an unlimited amount of advertising for Smart Cars, Mini Coopers, Honda Fits, the Fiat 500, the Toyota Yaris, on and on. We have yet to see one TV ad for the fabulous Chevy Spark. Does someone know the reason for this?

You have two 2013 Sparks, both LT models. How much do you drive them? If I bought a brand new car, I would expect it to last at least 10 years. I doubt they will still be selling new Sparks in 2023. My oldest car, a 1963 Nova SS, is 51 years old, and still going strong. My daily transportation car is a 2001 Malibu, 13 years old with close to 200,000 miles and also going strong, and it has the original engine and drivetrain.There are many cars out there for under $20,000 that are known to exceed 200,000 miles. And on top of that, there are several members on the Smart Car forum with over 150,000 miles on their cars. Even at $12999, if a Spark won't do this kind of mileage, it is a bad deal. For $20,000 you can buy a nice comfortable, even luxurious car, with a lot more room in it, and know it will go the distance. If it takes two $13000 Sparks to go the same mileage, that's $6000 more, and you have a little tiny car that may be fun to drive, but is going to get awfully uncomfortable for most people on long trips.

As for the Sonic, my sister has one. It is ASSEMBLED in Detroit, out of South Korean parts. Says so right in the manual.

Either way, I found the sonic to be a totally uninspiring car. Seats were no better, handled a bit sloppy, dash wasn't as good, shifted poorly, but it had lots of power compared to the Spark. I still think the Spark is a great design, but I know mine won't be able to make it ten years without an engine. First car I've owned that won't make it that far! This out of one other new car, and several used cars. 12 years old is the best I've had from daily drivers, the salt in winter rots them away, but all of them have seen over 150,000 miles. Best car for value was my metro hatchback with the 1 liter three cylinder. Payed almost nothing for it, went more than 100,000 miles for me, did nothing to it while I owned it. Got to where it was too rusted to keep or fix so it went to the crusher. It used less oil in the final 40,000 miles than my Spark has used since January.

Edited by Greg_E

Well I guess I'm outta here. Just bought a new Sonic LT auto (real auto, not CVT) sedan at a local dealer for $3000 under MSRP. Uninspiring yes, but I find all inexpensive cars uninspiring. Hopefully it will provide reliable transportation, and be more at home on the freeway. http://www.thorobredchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2014-Chevrolet-Sonic-Sedan_LT_Auto-Chandler-AZ/2123706703

Well I guess I'm outta here. Just bought a new Sonic LT auto (real auto, not CVT) sedan at a local dealer for $3000 under MSRP. Uninspiring yes, but I find all inexpensive cars uninspiring. Hopefully it will provide reliable transportation, and be more at home on the freeway. http://www.thorobredchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2014-Chevrolet-Sonic-Sedan_LT_Auto-Chandler-AZ/2123706703

Nice work Bob! Great price & looks like the time spent on research before a purchase paid off. I'll miss your 'old school' wisdom in your common sense posts.

FYI: Our 2013 Spark auto now has about 26K on it and is driven hard and even with the several longer trips cruising at 75-85mph in the Florida heat with A/C on we have had no issues and it uses almost no oil between changes. I think your Sonic (at about the same price as a new Spark) is a smarter buy according to your needs as indicated in your posts. Hope you can pop in from time to time and give us some feedback on your experience with the the car? We are considering a Sonic once the Spark warranty expires.

Be careful, the sonic and cruze I've had as rentals were not happy unless they were doing about 75mph. Make sure to set the cruise control to avoid tickets. $3000 under is the current promotion with a extra thrown in, unless you traded a Chevy and then it is the standard customer loyalty amount.