Looks like GM is now addressing the common A/C issue. Here is part of what we got in the mail.....

"We have leamed that your 2013 model year Chevrolet Spark may have a condition where the air
conditioning (A/C) system does not work or cools intermittently due to inaccurate control of the
evaporator temperature sensor.
Your satisfaction with your Chevrolet Spark is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to
prevent this condition or, if it has occurred, to fix it.
Your General Motors dealer will inspect and, if necessary, replace the A/C compressor. Your dealer will
also, if necessary, replace the Evaporative Air Temperature (EAT) Sensor, install a low pressure switch
adaptor kit, and reprogram the Body Control Module. This service will be performed for you at no charge
until April 30, 2016. After that, any applicable warranty will apply."

Ours works just darn swell but not superdarnswell and struggles to keep cool, but does not cycle after I had some refrigerant pumped into the system...But anyways looks like the issue is recognized and being addressed as it should.

Would like to hear from anyone who has had this done at the dealer as to if it works or messes up the dash, wiring etc...K?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So far everyone that has taken their car in, hasn't had a problem, it seems your dealer is an asshole, that has it out for you, and it doesn't seem he is going to go out of his way to do you any favor

Hey stevesparky, All recalls and parts are VIN specific. With this particular recall, it pertains to the 2013-2014 models. If you would like me to look into the status of your Spark, just send me a P

With this recall going on, they should be stocking these parts. If they knew up front why you were bringing in, they should've told you, not to bring it in until Thursday, or whenever they knew the pa

I have had all the above done, with the exception of replacing the compressor, and although we haven't had any sweltering heat, with the few 85 deg days we had, I would now consider the A/C a non issue. It isn't quite as cold as I'd like, but it is sufficient. The biggest difference over last year, is the fact that it is consistent, whether rolling down the road, or a idle, no more warm/cool fluctuations. I would recommend anyone with the A/C warm/cool issue, to take it to the dealer, and have the work done.

If they do it!

Notice that it says "if necessary" they will replace the parts.

My A/C sucks and they didn't replace the parts because the stealer said that it wasn't necessary.

So far everyone that has taken their car in, hasn't had a problem, it seems your dealer is an asshole, that has it out for you, and it doesn't seem he is going to go out of his way to do you any favors. You really need to go to another dealer, and have it done. Your vin# qualifies, so there is no reason another dealer without an agenda would turn you down.

If they do it!

Notice that it says "if necessary" they will replace the parts.

My A/C sucks and they didn't replace the parts because the stealer said that it wasn't necessary.

Bear in mind that a dealer is reimbursed by GM for any warranty/recall work they do and although the profit margin on that kind of work is not as high as non warranty/recall work, they do make a profit on that kind of work. Obviously there is no profit on parts as they are provided directly to the dealer at no cost on a 'like for like' basis, however, they do charge GM a set rate for warranty/recall work done. This is good business for the dealer and keeps their staff busy on billable work. It is also good business since a job well done on this kind of work builds client confidence and owners are more likely to return to the dealer for regular maintenance work.

As a former commercial Pilot we often had warranty/recall/safety notices that kept our ground crews busy on our fleet. The mechanics got xtra hours at their regular rates while the airline co. was reimbursed by the various manufacturers of parts or aircraft.

Bottom line is that a proper job on these kind of things is a win for all parties involved. The user has the issue fixed, the dealer is busy and makes profit, the manufacturer, although out of pocket maintains client/buyer confidence. Any dealer that balks at this kind of work is losing out on the opportunity to make money and draw in future business.

Sorry for the long & TMI post.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

my car has been at the chevy dealer all day, and now they tell me the parts to fix it are on back order. and I cant pick up my car till Thursday

This is why I'm waiting. My resident with her Spark is still waiting for parts to come in like 2-3 weeks ago.

Just pulled in the service lane for my oil change appointment and the 1st thing the service advisor tells me is there is a recall for the A/C and they will try to take care of it while I'm here... These guys are on the ball... H&H Chevrolet in Shippensburg, PA

I just got my car back:) I don't know why it took them 6 hours to find out a ac cable needs to be replaced.

I hope they get the parts in before it gets hot if it gets hot again. its always cold in the Midwest:( im sick of the cold.

it should be 75 today but its 55:(

they say the cables are on backorder.

Mine will get the pressure switch and harness. They had to order the parts. Supposed to be next week.

I have been waiting almost a month for parts, it's the wiring harness that is on backorder. Theres a part supply problem right now.

Maybe the reason my car wasn't done is because they knew they couldn't get the parts, and rather than tell me they gave me the BS of "it isn't needed" figuring that I would be back again. :idea:

Like how my first oil change they didn't change the oil filter becouse they ran out, lol.

bluer you should try to get it fixed. some cars only need a software update.

I will as soon as the parts become available and not back ordered. Mine will need the parts as it was already approved by vin. Besides I'm one of the original posters about the problem over a year ago. I do not run to the dealer until a proven fix is out, I'm not a guinea pig for GM. Pretty much all solutions up to now have not helped most people. Maybe someone can post if any fix before this helped.

They started with compressors. Then had expansion valves. Then the blend door pieces. Then software. Then the clueless dealers with all types of magic fixes including it's operating correctly.

It's like this, it's manageable as this is not our main vehicle so I will not have it fixed like others and get it back worse than before. 3 years 36000 miles under warranty.

2014 LS cycled hot/cold before I took it in for the A/C recall. They replaced the pressure switch and harness last month. I just took a trip to Washington D.C., 12 hours 900 mile round trip (plus the time spent in D.C.). Not ONCE was I or my girlfriend uncomfortable, even when the temperature spiked into the 90s (not exaggerating). I myself am throughly convinced it is fixed.