will a full synthetic oil change give spark better gas mpg

Not really enough gain to notice, but it adds up after a few years. If you diy oil changes, then it's worth it if you plan on keeping the car long term. If your paying a dealer to do it, or don't plan on keeping the car long term, it's not worth the upsell. 5Qt jugs of Mobil 1 EP are at my local Walmart for 25.19, I do the changes myself, and save all the reciepts with dates and mileage for warranty.

Must use Dexos approved oils or they could deny warranty issues.

According to the dealer in Phoenix where I purchased My Spark, Amsoil is an approved Dexos compatible oil. However if someone is hesitant to use something other than Dexos, than they probably shouldn't even though Amsoil is superior oil.

Indeed the Dexos® branded synthetic oils are very good and will most likely last a bit longer before changes than conventional oils. I find the prices for those oils too high and do my own changes using Mobil Super 1000 conventional 5w20. A 5 qt. jug costs me about $20. I change it at 5K miles regardless of what the oil life indicator says. Comes out looking fairly clean & the car burns practically zero oil. This is a very good quality oil and my mechanic, whom I trust after 20+ yrs of dealing with his shop, recommended this as an excellent alternative to the much more expensive Dexos® oil. The key to oil for this car is not whether it is synthetic or not, but rather the 5w20 weight that is thin enough to pass through the small ports of the engine oil flow routing. In the opinion of my mechanic, this oil will not cause engine damage if oil and filter are replaced at proper intervals. I am not recommending going against official GM recommendations for the Dexos®...Just a post on what I use, my opinion and my mechanic's opinion. We save money, oil and filter are replaced more frequently and my wife puts on a lot of miles in ideal driving conditions as the engine is always up to temp since Miami temps do not vary as much as the north-east US.

I have also used the same oil on my older Chevy SS V8 in the 10W30 weight and after about 145K miles it burns almost zero oil between the 5K mile oil changes.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

One of the reasons why we are required to use Dexos1 approved oils is becouse they are synthetic blends or full synthetics. Also, GM makes money from the companies who pay them to have their trademark on their products. The oil life monitors are calibrated for these oils, since they last longer than conventional dino oils.

AMS oil is not on the officially approved list which doesn't surprise me at all... They make great oil but are not willing to pay the permission fee for GM to allow the Dexos approval. Nothing wrong with the oil, just they refuse to play this game because they know better. This goes along with the entire way that company came into business. The formula for Mobile 1 probably didn't change one bit between the "old" non-dexos and the "new" dexos approved oils, same oil we have been using, just not $0.50 or $1 more a quart because of the GM tax. If someone can prove me wrong, I'd sure like to know the exact differences between the two "types" of Mobile 1 in the same weights.

Edited by Greg_E

There's apparently oils that could pass the test but the manufacturer won't submit the pil due to the cost. There's also some differences in Dexos approved oil according to Valvoline in this story. I just changed oil in my Nissan with Mobil one and had a bottle of non Dexos along with the dexo mobil one and they were different color oil.Would be interesting to see a list of additives and quantity of them. http://www.ssgm.com/news/what-is-happening-with-dexos/1000407976/?&er=NA

No thoughts really, I hadn't given any thought until I read the post.All I can say is the mobil 1 was a different color , same weight oil but one quart was non dexos.What that means if anything I have no idea.

I have noticed Dexos approved Mobil 1 seems slightly darker than previous years, from a light tan to medium gold in color now. I don't think any changes were made to the additives, just color. Like how Ford's and BMW coolant is yellow, and Mopar and GM's is red, it's the same stuff, just different color.

AMS oil is not on the officially approved list which doesn't surprise me at all... They make great oil but are not willing to pay the permission fee for GM to allow the Dexos approval. Nothing wrong with the oil, just they refuse to play this game because they know better. This goes along with the entire way that company came into business. The formula for Mobile 1 probably didn't change one bit between the "old" non-dexos and the "new" dexos approved oils, same oil we have been using, just not $0.50 or $1 more a quart because of the GM tax. If someone can prove me wrong, I'd sure like to know the exact differences between the two "types" of Mobile 1 in the same weights.

You are correct...the Amsoil is not officially approved. I intend to question the dealer why he told me otherwise. I will be using Mobil One for future oil changes, I am a STRONG believer in synthetic motor oils vs conventional oils. Especially in a smaller, high revving engine with small oil passages. To me anyways, the difference in price between the two types of oil is well worth the extra $$ for the syn oil. When it's is on sale, and with a coupon, the price difference between the two oils is minimal really.

Considering that the change interval is around 7000 miles, you don't really lose to much money over the stock blended oil.

Agree. Not sure about going 7,000 miles on the same oil however (as the computer might indicate). I usually have changed oil at 5,000 no matter what I was driving. I guess because I tend to drive my vehicles kind of 'hard', plus I live in a hot climate that is dusty at times. (Tucson Az).

You better buy a case of air filters from Rockauto.com, the change is 10,000 miles and you will probably need to change sooner.

I am actually going to upgrade to a KN setup within a couple of months. It isn't always dusty out here, only on real windy days when the desert dust kicks up. One thing that doesn't last out here is car batteries. Because of the heat, you're lucky to get 4 years out of one,,,even the real good ones.