has anyone had any success with any front turn light LED conversions? switchback or not!

I just tried a set of LED switchback lights and load converters with no success! turns out it has something to do with the cars "body control module" and how the blink is controlled not from the bulb itself but from the module.

I have a 2013 1LT

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Is the turn signal flasher actually replaceable on our cars? Before investing in a bunch of LED bulbs, I decided to find out for sure.

Ideally, you'd be able to just plug CanBus-compatible LED bulbs in and "fake" the computer into believing that all the bulbs are incandescent, but I've heard and read that this alone doesn't do the trick. So the next options are to wire in some resistors (I'm not a fan of this personally) or plug in a new flasher relay that will accommodate LED circuits without a problem.

Since I'm inclined to go the flasher route, I looked that part up. Advance Auto and RockAuto both list the Tridon/Novita EP35 flasher unit as a standard part for our car, and note that it is LED compatible (it even says so on the part itself). Good enough, right?

However...a quick application search of Novita's own site (link) seems to contradict this supposed compatibility, advising that flasher replacement is not possible and noting that our cars use a Body Control Module (BCM) that controls turn signal activity internally. So...huh?

After a little more research in the 2014 owner's manual (free PDF from Chevy; pages 10-30 to 10-35 detail the fuses and relays all over the car), it appears that there are actually eight (8) relays in the interior fuse box being referred to as BCMs. No indication is given as to which BCM controls what functions, but I assume that one of them controls the flashers.

To be honest, I haven't looked inside the fuse box since we got the Spark a year ago - I hadn't really had a reason, but I got curious today about what it would take to get brighter LED signals and brake lights working before winter hits. I'll take a deeper look in the morning and see what I can find.

Duncan :)

• 6 months later...

Which is what I figured out, unfortunately.

So, my thought now is that maybe I'll replace everything but the front amber bulbs (to maintain electrical load and keep the flashers from going so fast). That will at least give me the brighter LED glow at the back of the car, which has been my main concern.

And honestly, the backup lights are already way bright enough - I can't imagine what the LED version of that would look like. But I'm willing to try, of course. :)

Duncan B)

Edited by Duncan
error in original post
  • 2 months later...

I did the front switchback LEDs for the turn signal recently, here is the link to my thread http://chevysparkforum.com/topic/4887-switchback-leds/

On 4/18/2017 at 3:55 PM, Duncan said:

And honestly, the backup lights are already way bright enough - I can't imagine what the LED version of that would look like. But I'm willing to try, of course. :)

I also have LED's in my reverse lights and they are very bright, got them at superbrightleds.com. As well as LED's in my map light, trunk light, and brake lights.

Edited by Eric1984