HVAC customer satisfaction program - end April 30, 2016

I've had mine for just over a year. I brought it in a month after I got it and they couldn't find nothing wrong with it. I've brought it in almost a dozen times and then they say there's a recall. They supposedly fixed it. 20miles down the street it starts up again. Just got it back today and they found a leak in the ac system. It's still cutting off and on at times and barely cool when it works. They said the ac won't be cold because its a small car and ideling it won't be cool. I sweat my brains out with ac. It's freaking 100 degrees here. Any ideas

That's crazy ... I have a car with an even smaller engine ('14 Mitsubishi Mirage 3-cyl) and the A/C's the coldest of any car I've owned, and stays ice cold during idle.

Edited by mmm
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why don't you just post the info here. Its not top secret is it? It's just letters and numbers on a page that you read from left to right. We can figure it out.

I think it is done on purpose to stop the bleeding of cash on repairs, same goes for the April 30 deadline. Yup full of anger from dealing with Chevy support and my local dealer. Ready to build a rem

That's why they have to cancel the program fast, too many people might take them up on this if they knew it was happening. Sitting here waiting for the service manager to call me back so I can make an

Hey guys, new spark owner. I just bought mine used. I was somewhat aware of this issue at the time of purchase, but now its starting to get annoying. I live in Florida, I work 15 minutes from my house. I only just got to get on the highway for the first time yesterday and noticed that the air didn't blow cold at all at higher RPMs. It does the cool/warm dance when I'm on city streets, but I had no idea it wouldn't blow cold at all over 60. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a permanent fix yet?

Hello ManOfAnger,

Sorry to hear you've experienced this concern. We'd be glad to offer our assistance with regard to reaching out to your dealership or answering any questions you may have. You are welcome to reach out to us via PM here on the site with your VIN and contact info.

Andraya (assisting Patsy)

Chevrolet Customer Care

So I came back from the dealer today. After Patsy went to all the trouble (thanks Patsy!) to set up my dealer appointment. I brought it in, got my PCV (spark plug) valve taken care of, I was told that this "FIX" had been done on it somewhere else. That the "mostly off" cycling it does (and in his words "is more than the stock cycling") is to keep the compressor from blowing up. BLOWING UP?!!!? Yes, that's what he tells me. That chevy built a car with an A/C compressor that will blow up if it is run stock. That this fix, which makes a VERY hot day in south florida unbearable, is the only way to keep the car from exploding. I can't help but feel like I'm eating dog when I paid for prime rib. How, in 2014, can a brand new car not blow cold air without blowing up? We can get 32 mpg city, but you can't have that and a car with proper working ac that doesn't "blow up". I am so angry right now. No wonder people still buy foreign makes of cars. I can tell you this, THIS IS THE LAST CHEVY I WILL EVER BUY.

So I came back from the dealer today. After Patsy went to all the trouble (thanks Patsy!) to set up my dealer appointment. I brought it in, got my PCV (spark plug) valve taken care of, I was told that this "FIX" had been done on it somewhere else. That the "mostly off" cycling it does (and in his words "is more than the stock cycling") is to keep the compressor from blowing up. BLOWING UP?!!!? Yes, that's what he tells me. That chevy built a car with an A/C compressor that will blow up if it is run stock. That this fix, which makes a VERY hot day in south florida unbearable, is the only way to keep the car from exploding. I can't help but feel like I'm eating dog when I paid for prime rib. How, in 2014, can a brand new car not blow cold air without blowing up? We can get 32 mpg city, but you can't have that and a car with proper working ac that doesn't "blow up". I am so angry right now. No wonder people still buy foreign makes of cars. I can tell you this, THIS IS THE LAST CHEVY I WILL EVER BUY.

This is the most convoluted story yet. It sounds like the tech was talking through his a**, outside of the whole story making absolutely no sense, I seriously doubt that GM put exploding a/c compressors in the Spark. Was this guy sober? You're not eating dog, but you were fed some bull. ;) I would take it all with a grain of salt.

I'm thinking the pressure cut out switch had a passage that was the wrong size and maybe didn't let the pressure get measured correctly which is why they had to make a sandwich plate for the new sensor. Either that or the passage was bored into the wrong area. Or that this isn't really a fix at all since at least one person has said it went back to the same old problem. Didn't test mine enough to know, and now its gone! I now have really cold air at idle, hasn't been warm enough to need it driving yet to see what happens at higher engine speeds.

Mine WAS working very well right after the recall work was done, but now it's back to the cool/warm cycles again, and blows warm at idle now. It acts like it's low on r134a, and the cooling fan no longer kicks on high speed when it's hot out and at idle. I brought it up when I had recall #2 done to the pcv valve. Dealer just gave me a printout of the old a/c posting about testing the compressor (before gm knew the fix), basically telling me to go .... myself. I'm so over the Spark, GM, and it's pittiful dealer network. I'm so ready to try out a base Fiesta on clearence, several Ford dealers have some for the same price as a new Spark.

Icy cold HVAC in my Fiesta. And I saw my Spark starting to slip into the same old pattern on the couple times I used the AC before I traded it. I don't think this is a real fix for some problems, not sure what else they can do since my car had a compressor and the sensor mod/fix.

FYI, I have a manual Fiesta SE with appearance and comfort packages... Really quiet going down the road, not as rough going over bumps. One of the downsides is it just doesn't/can't turn as sharply in parking lots, already missing that agility. The auto trans on the Fiesta can be a bit problematic, there's a current recall on them which also covers out of warranty cars and extends warranty on current cars. The manual version has been fairly solid through the years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It really seems luck of the draw with some users in hot states reporting no issues ever, and some users reporting extremely poor performance even after having all the recall work performed. My only comparisons are a 2010 Kia Forte (chilly) and my 2015 Ford Fiesta (chilly is understatement the few times I've needed it). I will say one thing, the greenhouse effect on my Fiesta is high, seems to let a lot of light in but I'm not sure if they have different windows for sunny hot states. In comparison, my 2013 Spark with all the recall work the dealer said it did (never verified if it was really done) was not good and on a 90 degree day would barely blow cool air until you got up to about 3000 rpm (highway cruising speed).

• 4 months later...

I bought my spark in may of 2014 and all summer long the ac barley worked. When I brought it in for my first service and the pcv recall iasked about the ac issue and was basicly blown off. I haven't needed the ac since it's winter but I'm dreading the summer heat creeping back up. I never got a letter or anything so maybe I'll ask again at my next service.

I bought my spark in may of 2014 and all summer long the ac barley worked. When I brought it in for my first service and the pcv recall iasked about the ac issue and was basicly blown off. I haven't needed the ac since it's winter but I'm dreading the summer heat creeping back up. I never got a letter or anything so maybe I'll ask again at my next service.

Contact the Chevy Customer Care, here on this forum http://chevysparkforum.com/user/829-chevrolet-customer-care/ and explain your concerns. They will guide you as to what they need from you, Vin#, etc., and if you qualify for the recall, they will contact your dealer. They can be quite effective.

Hey TheRev,

We apologize for the disheartening experience, and we would be more than happy to look into this further for you. To piggy back off of Walt, please feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the preferred dealership. We look forward to assisting you!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

• 8 months later...

Did this finally get fixed?

I miss my Spark :(

Hey Lazer, hows it going? After a series of recalls on the a/c, they finally got it working right. A few other problems popped up, for some people, but after a few more recalls, for all intents and purposes, they are running around pretty much trouble free, some small problems here and there, no more than any other car.

• 2 months later...

I had the hood latch pcv valve and the ac recall done a couple months ago. I am 100 per satisfied with my local Chevy desler and what they did. Air conditioning is great now before it was less than acceptable. They replaced the compressor and new harness. Love this little car!

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I recently bought a 2014 Spark and I am having this AC issue.  I private messaged the Chevy acct with no response yet.  I brought it to the dealer and they didnt want to look at it without charging.  Finally they have agreed to look at it for free, but I want to avoid getting charged for the fix.  A friend hooked it up to a diagnostic tool and thought the car was shutting the ac down because it was mistaken as to the engine thermostat temp.

Any advise?