I have had my Spark for 1 year. I have had so many problems with it.

Shifts Erratic

Down shifts while driving

Wont shift at all, usually traction control light is on & transmission light comes on but not always

Motor ticks like a lifter is ticking

burns and consumes oil up!!

#4 Spark plug fowled but was fixed

Oil Smells like gas

• 2 weeks later...

Our 2013 Spark 1LT (auto) used to burn a bit more oil than normal and vibrated a bit. After checking the plugs, I found the #4 fouled. Replaced it 'like for like' and changed the oil with non-Dexos high quality Mobil Super 1000 (5W20) conventional oil and again after 3,000 mi. Runs smoother and burns almost zero oil. Recently checked the plugs and all four were equally clean. I don't think the oil type made much difference but the plug replacement did. Now the car has 23k miles on it and runs very smooth and less valve train noise than the first 10k miles. The car is driven hard and fast with the AC on all the time except at night. Gas mileage is as expected with that kind of driving. Wife ran over a cement barrier in a parking lot...OK, OK..it was me... but in spite of the bump and noise..still runs straight with no apparent wheel or underside damage.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead
  • 2 months later...

Weird how many Sparks have problems with the #4 cylinder. Way to many for it to be a coincidence. Changing the oil with non Dexol Mobil was probably a good idea. GM's Dexol coolant is garbage compared to good old green Prestone, but will probably be ok if changed every 2 years. I don't know what the specs on GM approved oil are, but Mobil is great oil. I would probably use Mobil 1, and change it every 3,000 miles or 3 months. Yes that could get expensive, depending on how much oil the Spark holds, but consider the cost of an engine. If there is a problem with the PVC valve, that most likely means there is a problem with crankcase venting, which will cause sludge to build up in a hurry. And with the complex VVT setup, which likely has tiny oil passages, they could easily get plugged up with sludge, causing things to malfunction. I'm sure GM knows everything there is to know about the Spark engine, knows about the problem, and knows how to fix it. Question is, why don't they fix it? I like the Spark so much that I'm waiting around to see what happens before I buy something else. I do wish GM would quit being so secretive about everything. They are a car company, not Area 51. I think they owe their customers an explanation.

• 3 weeks later...

Dex is just a certification for the oil. It's nothing special for oil other than the manufacturer is paying GM licensing fees.

Dexcool coolant, on the other hand, is pretty dangerous stuff. Eats gaskets.

Edited by NoSprak