Spark rated #1 amongst three cheapest

I found a few of the reviewers remarks to be nonsensical, such as these cars are "bought by people who don't like cars in the first place." I also think that some of these reviews are a little too critical, they are looking for quick acceleration, large spacious interior, silky smooth ride, great mpg, and all for under 10K. These are micro/mini city cars, not highway cruisers, although mine does just fine cruising at 70-80 mph, and contrary to the reviewer, I can have a conversation with my passenger, while doing it. If you want more, you have to pay more, it's a simple equation....

A lot of the writers issues with the car are based on his opinion not fact. While there are people who buy based on price , lots of others like myself don't. I bought strictly on size as do other micro car lovers. The cars I looked at were Scion IQ and Fiat 500 .I already had a Brabus smart and would never touch another smart .After a lot of looking and testing it came down to the Spark and IQ.The Spark offered more for less especially in 2LT form.This review pits the Spark against traditional subcompact cars not its true competition.You can buy a lot of other cars for the price of a loaded up mini car so there's a reason other than cost as to why people choose them over larger cars but nobody ever touches on that segment of buyers.

The problem is that most auto reviewers hate small, basic cars that are not a BMW, Lexas, or a Mercedes. One has to like small cars to enjoy this class of vehicle, they ride and drive like small cars. It also appears most buyers of this class are over 40 years old, which is often older than most testers. Automakers are trying to market cars like the Spark, Honda Fit, Scion XB, and Kia Soul to younger buyers, but the average buyer age is suggesting otherwise. And they're not buying them for their kids to drive. Almost every person I've seen driving the Spark is at least as old as my parents (I'm 34) or my grandparents age (over 80). The buyers of brands that are ment to appeal to older buyers, such as Buick, are getting much younger buyers. I'm sure older testers would probably like the Spark more than the younger 20 or 30 somethings would.

Edited by austex04

Exactly! Most magazines expect EVERY car on the market to be a BMW/Lexus/Benz/Acura ...

I love cars. I enjoy driving.

With that said, if a tree fell on my focus tomorrow ... I would be deciding whether to get a Versa or a Spark.

Yea. I went from a long bed 3/4 ton diesel to this car. I enjoy both small and large vehicles. This one,for the price, offers the best bang for buck. It also met my requirements. It seats 4 has 4 doors is a hatchback had alloys standard, was available as a manual tranny, and was under 15k. Now looking at the market I am spoiled with this fuel mileage... I just can't find another vehicle that gets this kind of mileage that isn't the Prius c in this size. The smart and iQ's mileage is pretty disappointing in comparison really.

Edited by bensemailis

Yea. I went from a long bed 3/4 ton diesel to this car. I enjoy both small and large vehicles. This one,for the price, offers the best bang for buck. It also met my requirements. It seats 4 has 4 doors is a hatchback had alloys standard, was available as a manual tranny, and was under 15k. Now looking at the market I am spoiled with this fuel mileage... I just can't find another vehicle that gets this kind of mileage that isn't the Prius c in this size. The smart and iQ's mileage is pretty disappointing in comparison really.

Came from a Ford Super-Duty my self. best small car and the only one i could sit in and be comfy. And OMG the MPG!

• 3 months later...

I'm using my 2014 Spark for my 110 mile commute. It keeps the miles off my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and My 2012 Silverado 2500 HD gas long bed with 33" tires and a 300lbs Ranch Hand bumper. FYI the 2269 lbs curb weight of the Spark is the same as my favorite 1972 BMW 2002. My old bimmer was carb'd with only 90 HP and a 13 second 0- 60 time. It was still one of my faves except that it didn't have AC. Even though My Sparky is FWD, it's power to weight is the same as the 2002 since I ported the exhaust. I'm having a blast driving it in the higher RPM ranges as much as the Bimmer and yet I can baby it and get mid 40's MPG that only a deisel BMW can touch. Considering that I'm into the Spark for less than $12k including the upgrades, I plan to put 200k miles on it in the next 6 years until it's paid off.