2013 Chevy Spark: The good and the bad---

I've now had my Spark for six months. It gets driven about thirty miles per day. These are my impressions:

1. It's a cheaply made car that looks cool and is fun to drive. People notice it and ask about it. The engine performance and braking are good to very good. Handling is good.
2. It is surprisingly roomy inside.
3. The AC is very low quality. Check around online and you will find all sorts of info on this. It fails to keep you cool when the temperature outside gets over 90 degrees. You won't swelter, inside, but you won't be cool.
4. This is the WORST car I've ever owned when it comes to blind spots. Chevy tried to make this car look sporty by putting in goofy, opaque window panels that house a hidden door handle, on the rear doors. This causes horrible blind spots when a driver tries to see who's coming up on him/her in the right lane. Add in comically small outside mirrors, triangularly shaped, and the situation is even worse. I had to install little adhesive convex mirrors to even begin to change lanes, safely. Even so, I sometimes just hope nobody is pulling up on my passenger side as I change lanes. It really is that bad.
5. Inside plastic panels have sharp edges. Just the other day I sliced a 1/4" piece of skin off my left hand as I reached in to get something out of the back storage area.

Conclusion: The car is fun to drive but I will get rid of it in another year. I will not consider another Spark unless the opaque rear window panels disappear, the outside mirrors get bigger and the AC is upgraded.

While the spark does have its blind spots, it's nowhere near as bad as 90% of other cars on the market in regards to blind spots. It's actually pretty good.

Little cars with big rear end syndrome make seeing out of the back impossible, and the higher belt lines on most other vehicles also make it hard.

Mirrors are small. Unfortunately, that's done for aerodynamics. Not that most people check them anyway ...

It is cheaply made, because it is cheaply priced, that being considered, it is all done in good taste. Blind spots? Yup, but no worse than most of the other cars out there. AC, definitely on the weak side, mirrors on the '14 are larger. Overall a good value for the money. I have had mine for little over a year now, and still no regrets.

Agree with blind spots... ive driven a '96 nissan sentra, 89' Camaro (tiny mirrors), 71 challenger (with only drivers side mirror). By far the spark has the worst blind spots...

as far as everything else i consider the price tag when it comes to the acceleration, brakes, handling, mileage...

one thing i cant be so forgiving is the A/C... remove it and sell it without a/c but dont put crap just to say "with a/c"

overall im happy with this little car and i'd like to ad an intake, exhaust complete with new pipe system, rear view camera (possible via rear view mirror) as well as a body kit but i wont be investing any more cash into it until i cant confirm if the A/C was repaired since i haven't been able to test it

@DriverGuy...

The 2015 model is suppose to be redesigned... might be a bit better

Edited by Lovgun7

I wish there mirrors were larger but disagree on visibility .I haven't noticed any bad blind spots ,I find visibility very good .My AC works fine also , no complaints so far .So far I have been impressed with the Spark but within a year , cars like the Fit will have caught up and surpassed it in tech and features.

I added the blind spot mirrors, myself. But, I add them to all of the vehicles I have, even my bike has them. I'm coming up on 11 months, somewhere around 8500 miles. I have zero complaints. My AC works fine, for some reason. I would get another, just for the auto headlights. For the price I paid and the technology it has, I'd do it again. :shift:

After 6 months with the 2014, the larger shaped mirrors with integrated turnsignal lamps, automatic headlamps, CVS transmission and yes, even an AC that works great ever here in the lower desert , I am still very happy with the technology and driving capabilities of this little car. There is no comparison with this 2014 to the 2013 I had. Absolutely no problems thus far and I am hoping it continues this way.

Our 13 has almost 15k on it. Been a great car. We have no problems with blind spots. Mirrors could be better...yes however they are fine when I adjust them for my preferances.

Hop in a new camaro or challenger and try to back It up around cars....you'll feel like your In a school bus once you hopped back into the spark.

Our ac damn near freezes you out.

My 13 has about 27k on it now, and outside of an issue with leaking oil into the spark plugs that chevy has been yoinking me around on it's been pretty good so far.

Agree with the AC issue though, def much warmer air coming out of it in Tampa traffic compared to driving down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, the aspects of the Spark that are not so great are the high bite point and wide engagement area of the clutch. I am used to clutches that bite close to the floor and are fully engaged half way trough pedal travel, not so in the Spark. I even created a thread on this subject to get forum members feedback on their experience on how they manage with this clutch. I find the engine very tick tock noisy at idle, sounds like a sewing machine to me, could be that I just have very sensitive hearing. The growly tuning of the exaust also makes it difficult for my to judge RPM by engine/exhaust noise alone, I am used to this method since I have owned many manuals that do not have a tach. I also find the windshield to be very prone to getting rock chips, its very big and the hood shape just deflects rocks onto the glass. The pedals also translate a good deal of engine vibration, having an LS with no cruise control, means my throttle foot is constantly getting buzzed at highway speeds. The low profile of the tires also do not absorb as much of the road imperfections as they could, I can see why Chevrolet would use 14" wheels in other parts of the world, to help out the suspension, but unless the road is brand new tarmac, these 15" wheels will transfer much vibration. The seats could use more lateral support and not such slippery materials, it is easy to feel yourself slipping to the side of the seat on tight turns. I do not like so many car functions routed trough the radio, this is a long standing GM tradition, makes it difficult for owners of base models to upgrade to aftermarket radios. The digital tach display could have done without features like "average speed,"and could have been replaced with something useful, like coolant temperature reading, voltage, and oil pressure. The A/C is a mixed bag, almost no cooling at idle, this is not just a problem with US models, read up on Spark reviews from places like India and they find the same situation. I feel the issue with the A/C could have been prevented with proper documentation in the user manual, making it clear that the A/C is designed to place as little load on the engine as possible, as to prevent owners from getting a nasty surprise during summer months.

But its not all negative, the fuel mileage is excellent, My commute is 30 miles total every day, so my fillup translates to around 5 gallons a week. The size of the Spark means you can park almost anywhere, even in spaces usually inhabited by clown cars like the Smart or Scion iQ. I have gotten much use of the Onstar, albeit it is pricey, it is far better than having a bulky gps on your windshield, or relying on your phone for directions. The heater seems to derive heat from the cauldrons of hell, it is hot, so its great during the current nationwide harsh winter we are having, I can see why this car is popular in cold places like Russia. This little car handles great in the rain, the rain water will cause much noise on the floor pan, but the car is not slippery unless one is absolutely reckless. The electric steering is light and responsive. The brakes are also very good in Spark. I really like the cup holders, specially the one behind the parking brake, my previous vehicle, a Chevrolet Colorado, had the cup holder right next to the throttle leg, which was very annoying, almost took a hacksaw to it.

In conclusion, I am mostly satisfied with Spark, and when I become accustomed to this clutch I can say I am completely satisfied. In retrospect, I should have paid for the MyLink and cruise control, but I can live with this purchase for a while.

I have a 2014 Spark LS ..so no AC which we don't really need up here in Northern Ontario. I have 2000 KM on my Spark LS which I run studded winter tires. The commute to work and back is 60 miles and the highway is maintained very poorly since the Australians took over the contract. (YES AUSTRALIANS maintain our highways!!) This car takes off better and handles better than my Chevy 2500HD 4 x4 in the snow and twice now I have almost been smashed in the rear from vehicles that can not stop...nothing like seeing a giant truck in the rear view mirror going sideways to avoid you.

The car has been great so far with no noise from anywhere. I do not seem to have any blind spots that seem excessive however the little mirrors are a pain and this is going to get some attention this spring. The manual transmission is very easy to get going with no shudder or vibration however I have slipped off the clutch (due to snow on my boots ) and it still took off. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd the gating is not that great and could be more defined.

For a very cheap car I think that it is good value for the money and it does not take up much room in the garage....right beside my sled with twice as much horsepower.

I had a Mazda 2 for 10 days as a rental (this was my other choice) and that car was almost twice as much and I did not think the 2 was much better at all. Certainly not worth another $7000.

The dealer here is great and supports their sales even calling and making sure that you are happy with the car and the parts guys are good too so at least the car is supported.

All in all , I would pick up another one, however the test will be the long term however if it makes it 5 years then I am already ahead of the game.

I miss the cruise control and that's about it...

These cars rip in snow.... Solid ice sheets going down a hill, no problem. VW Beattles, 4 runners, big lifted diesal dodges stuck on a hill, I rip right on up past them no problem. Best part is when they see you coming and they all wait and watch to make fun of you expecting to get stuck, but you dont... These cars do exceptionally well in the snow and ice. Surprisingly better than i expected.

• 1 year later...

I find it funny how some folks, here, say there's no problem with blind spots on the 2013. I guess those folks enjoy changing lanes on a wing and a prayer. All over the internet, the blind spots are an acknowledged problem. GM is now making rectangular mirrors that replace the joke mirrors on the 2014 Spark, but it is not known if they'll fit the 2013. As for those who say the AC is fine---come on you Chevy/GM employees, stop padding these forum reviews! Since I put up my original post, there has been a recall on the AC. I've had mine in four times, finally demanding, and getting, a total replacement on all AC parts, including the compressor. Things seem better, but I'll need to wait until the Summer to determine actual efficacy.

I find it funny how some folks, here, say there's no problem with blind spots on the 2013. I guess those folks enjoy changing lanes on a wing and a prayer. All over the internet, the blind spots are an acknowledged problem. GM is now making rectangular mirrors that replace the joke mirrors on the 2014 Spark, but it is not known if they'll fit the 2013. As for those who say the AC is fine---come on you Chevy/GM employees, stop padding these forum reviews! Since I put up my original post, there has been a recall on the AC. I've had mine in four times, finally demanding, and getting, a total replacement on all AC parts, including the compressor. Things seem better, but I'll need to wait until the Summer to determine actual efficacy.

No issues with my 2014's AC last summer. The only issues with blind spots I have are with the damn headrests being so big. If the rear ones are up you can't see very well out the back window and the front ones block the rear windows quite a bit when you try to look over your shoulder. I have small spot mirrors on mine which help a lot.

I don't think GM employees are on here padding anything.

• 1 month later...

Losing the C-pillar mounted door handles would make the car completely worthless to me. Though I thing what should have been done would have been a real 2 door option, and longer doors. Had that been available, I would have probably taken the chance and bought one. 4 door cars are a real turn off off to me. I wound up with a 2006 Mazda Miata automatic with cruise. With the top up, there is virtually no rear visibility. That's the price you pay for a decent looking car. I have had a 1970 Challenger (318 automatic) a 1972 Nova (2 door) a 1975 Corvette t-top, a 1978 Camaro Z28, and a 1987 Pontiac Fiero. I loved them all. I still love my '63 Nova 2 door 283 Powerglide, and my 1972 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" clone. Other than a 1973 Chevelle Laguna woodgrain wagon, which was actually a pretty cool car with it's '70s style GM ralleys and BF Goodrich RWL tires, and custom made dual exhaust with glasspacks. The only car I've ever owned that I hated from the ground up was my former 2001 Malibu 4 door FWD transportation appliance. It was bought in an emergency when I need a cheap car with A/C, automatic, and cruise. Bought it with '98,000 miles, sold it at 128,000 miles. That's a lot of miles for the money, but I hated every one one of them

I sat out looking for a transportation car, as I already had my vintage cars, and jumped at the Spark first. Cheap, cute, and great mileage. And the rear door handles at least gave it a 2 door look. But I quickly found out while it was so cheap. It's low price does in no way make it a bargain. I seriously doubt any Spark will ever pass 200,000 miles, without several engines and transmissions. I don't even know if the body structure itself could hold up to that kind of mileage. And look what you have to drive in, and all the problems you have to put up with.

Many cars at twice the Spark's price are better deals. They will last well past 200,000 miles, and you will get a much better car to spend those miles in. In the end you will have gotten more value for your money.

Having spent my life with mostly vintage cars, and enjoyed them immensely, all I ever heard that those old cars are junk. None of them will ever last past 100,000 miles. And to a point they were right, not that it bothered me. I bought them as much to work on as to drive. But 200,000 miles is pretty much a given with new cars. Many manufacturers are now making sup par cars that are unlikely to ever get anywhere near 200,000 miles. And Chevy seems to be leading the charge with the Spark, a car that would have been considered unacceptable back in the '70s

Edited by Big-Bob

Big-Bob wrote: "I don't even know if the body structure itself could hold up to that kind of mileage. And look what you have to drive in, and all the problems you have to put up with."

------------------------------------------------

Actually the body structure of the Spark is one of the stronger aspects of this car. A lot of metal with minimal gapping and very well spaced spot welds making for a very rigid body.

post-1288-0-39674300-1428664010_thumb.pn

Edited by Retired old Gearhead
  • 11 months later...

Hi i have my 2013 spark when im driving it going to the office when i felt sudden jolt in the car then check engine light was on throughout my trip..i was worried about it, it was my 1st time encountered this problem..the car runs at 19900km already..what does that check engine mean?

Melissa, Did you have the PCV recall done? That was a very important recall that prevented pretty well what you described. If uncertain..ask your dealer about that. Worry not since your 'powertrain' warranty is still in effect and this sounds like a problem that falls under that warranty. Here is the recall info just in case your dealer is not familiar with it: A140110 Emission/Engine Oil Consumption Campaign Part # for the pcv is, 25193675

• 1 month later...

I have a 2013 model, Im way down here in central america, its also built in Korea and have now almost 40,000 miles on it, only replace oil, air filter, brake pads and rotors, spark plugs and new 195/50/15 tires with aftermarket wheels, will use it for a couple a years more and get a New camaro SS so I dont feel like im driving a smurf car.

• 6 months later...

I just replaced the front brake pads and checked the rear drums, look like new, almost 50,000 miles on it. Resurfaced the rotors and like new braking again. Have no problems on mine, will use it for more time, getting a Mustang next week 5.0 Foxbody hatch AOD, 60,000 miles on it, 1990 lx, yellow not my color will change color back to original since yellow wasnt the original color available that year model, its a hobby car and in pretty good condition. I can understand some had bad luck with there Spark but i know for fact mine is built in same factory as yours in Korea. I just take good care of my Spark and she works like a charm.

20161006_084253.jpg

IMG-20160809-WA0009.jpg