Out of all the possible vehicle combinions (new, used, hand me down. Etc) why did you choose the Spark or why did your parents/girlfriend/boyfriend choose it?

I chose the spark because of the proximity between work and home in case I ever had to have something done. I went to car max before and test drove the Fiat 500, Ford Fiesta, Scion TC, Scion XB and a few other cars and they had a lot of miles and were overpriced. As much as I love thed the Fiat, my decision was overruled because of the lack of a usable back seat and premium gas.

The scion TC I drove was a 2007 with 70K on it and was being sold for 16K. A little unrealistic for me.

So, across the street we hopped over to the Chevrolet dealer. I drove a few cars, another XB (2012), cobalt and one other car. I didn't like them. Just by happenstance, a lady had just returned from a rest drive in a Spark, It was Salsa red. I asked the salesman what kind of Car that was, he told me. We went through the lot and I decided to drive it. First thing I noticed, it was slow as crud, but the MPG was at 37 average and I was intrigued.

After the test drive, I decided I wanted it, we started the paper work, and they had to order it (LS) in denim. They didn't want me to leave without it, so they gave it to me as a loaner to drive around and come back for lunch. Good thing I did, because I found out it didn't have power locks and I had a tantrum in the panera parking lot. When we got back, I made them cancel the order for the denim LS. My partner, who didn't want me getting a new car, advised that I should just fork over the extra 1,500 and get the LT because it it power everything, the 7inch infotainment, Aux, and USB and such. So I did. And of course, they had to order that, too, so I didn't have my Spark for 3 days! Longest 3 days of my life.

I love my Blue Bullet, and I am glad I made the right decision.

What's your story about how you picked the Spark?

I wanted a micro car to use for work , something easy to maneuver and park . I had watching the Spark for years but didn't know when or if it would make it to states . Originally I wanted a Scion IQ but when they delayed bringing it to the US I ended up buying a Brabus smart car . I liked the size but it's a poorly engineered car , terrible ride ect . I sold it for a big loss less than a year later . After comparing the Spark and IQ , I went with the Spark . The tech and standard features for the price were class leading by a country mile . Also looked at Fiat and wasn't impressed with it at all or it's reliability .If I had to rate them in order , 1) Spark , 2) IQ , 3 ) Fiat , 4 ) smart . The smart was the biggest mistake I ever made purchasing a car . I'm quite happy with the purchase of the Spark so far .

I wanted something that got better gas mileage than my 3'rd generation Hyundai Accent, and I wanted a hatchback for cargo. I looked at the Fit, Fiat, and the new Accent. They ether didn't get the mpgs I wanted, were overpriced, or required premium gas. I looked at the Spark LS, although I thought it was slow, I liked it. It reminded me of the Metro back in the day. I'm happy without things like pwr locks and such, since my old car didn't even have pwr windows, and I didn't want to drop another two grand. So the blue LS it was for me.

Wifey test drove it on a whim. She had been digging the color (techo pink) and her '95 protege 1.5 was due for a bunch of service and a possible transmission. Hopped in. MUCH MUCH MUCH faster then the protege and handled very nimble. The interior is great and roomy. And we are averaging 10-15 more mpg then the protege as well.

Its been awesome so far. Almost 15k on the clock. Only issue she popped a fuse for the washers when everything froze. No biggie.

• 1 month later...

Was looking for a new car because my lease on Hyundai Elantra was almost done. Also Elantra was absolutely the worst car in snow. Looked at several small cars including Nissan Versa Note and Toyota Prius C. Was leaning toward Nissan but crash test results was not that good, and Toyota's price was too high for the options I wanted (I just wanted Bluetooth). Then GM card sent us $4000 top-off rebate. The dealer helped with the remaining lease payments, too. Love, love my Sparky!! It drives like a champ in snow, and I don't dread snow day any more!!

Edited by Goldfish
  • 2 weeks later...

I sold my 95 Honda civic Dx with 175k miles on it in 2011, it had a bunch of water leaks and the A/C and clutch where starting to go out, so it was time to let it go. So I purchased a 2004 Chevrolet Colorado with 50k miles on it, bad mistake. I went from 35mpg average to 22 mpg. The truck was the completely bare bones fleet version, which would not have been that bad, until little problems started to pop up;bad cam position valve, leaking valve cover, bad throttle position sensor. I purchased the truck with a powertrain service plan, but they consistently found "nothing wrong with it." I knew I had to get back into a small car, so I researched the competition Ford Fiesta, and it just seemed too bare bones at $14500, and I definitely did not want an automatic/dry plate fake manual transmission. I tried out the Toyota Yaris, and it also seemed too spartan and tiny. I tried the Nissan Versa SV, but was taken aback by just how dog ugly that car is. So I decided to try out the Spark on a whim, tried out an automatic first, I found it to work ok, but was not impressed at its highway merging ability, so I tried out the manual and I found it to be the closest to what I had remembered about the old Civic, a which I loved. The price was right, and since I was trading a chevy for a chevy, got nice incentive too. The Spark has nowhere near the power of the old Civic, but it is much more practical, and the fuel economy is on par or better. Also liked the power windows, which I have never had, and the OnStar service, at least the free trial. Really liked the all around visibility and the fact that it looks so different yet not like a clown car, like the Smart does. The only thing I have not gotten accustomed to is the damn wide bite and up in the air clutch, other than that, it was a good choice for me.

Edited by Ataristic

I became interested in the spark for it's fantastic looks and great gas mileage. Of course the price was pretty darn good too. I just LOVE little cars. It's so cute!

I went and bought My Denim blue LS manual for 10K. I don't give a S--t about power locks or windows. I do like the fact that it does at least have power windows. The only thing I really wanted that it lacks is cruise control. My biggest gripe about the car is how fragile it seems. The body dents incredibly easy and the interior plastic is not very durable.

Edited by Trancer07

Wanted a small city car for Los Angeles with good gas mileage, just enough cargo room for my gear, overall roomy feel, bright color for visibility on the road, phone integration, inexpensive, new car warranty, low cost of maintenance, fun on twisty mountain roads, Pandora, able to play music off a salvaged laptop hard drive with external usb enclosure,... I could go on.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I bought a 2017 Spark LS to replace my 2012 Fiat 500 Pop.  I really liked the small size and fuel efficiency of my Fiat, and only started looking around at other cars because the Fiat was right about the age where I would have to either start putting some money into it for new brakes, replacing the timing belt and other basic maintenance.  When I saw how inexpensively the Spark was going for (as part of many dealers year end clearance sales) and read some reviews on line, I decided to give it a look.

In general it is very similar in size and MPG to my old Fiat, but the two extra doors make it a little more practical, and I decided to go for the CVT in place of the manual transmission on my old Fiat, which helps a bit in morning and evening rush hour traffic, while still getting great mileage numbers.

So in general I guess I bought the Spark for its size, efficiency, practicality and looks.

Pat