• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This all sounds really nice, as they continue to elevate the problem up the ladder. Why isn't this fully explained to the owner? This would instill some confidence in the person who just wants their c

What problems? According to GM there aren't any problems! Any issue with the vehicles is just our opinions, and the cars operate as designed - which tells us how well the cars were designed!

In all honesty, what I will do is file the papers with the state, and contact my politicians - and of course the lemon magnets which will probably draw the local media's attention. If I could affor

Keep an eye on this thread, and I'll post a picture of the car once the lemon magnets come in and I put them on the car!

BTW, I ordered 3 dozen of them to totally cover the car! :)

Reminds me of my '79 green Bonneville I stuck green shamrocks all over it to make it less ugly, lol.
  • 3 weeks later...

I noticed this thread because I am an auto mechanic. I don't doubt at all there is a problem, and I am concerned about it because I am planning to buy a Spark, and I live in Phoenix, AZ, hottest place in the country. But I am puzzled about what the problem is. If you were getting 48 degreesF out of the vents, and it was actually blowing enough air, then the problem is elsewhere. 48 degrees is about the best I've ever seen an auto A/C put out. If you can hold you hand in front of the vents and it feels ice cold, then the A/C is working, and the problem is elsewhere. As small as the Spark is, it shouldn't take long to bring the temp way down. There is one possible issue I have actually seen that can cause the problem you are describing, and that is if the heater is also on, and blowing out hot air down under the dash. There are several possible causes for that. There is an electrically controlled solenoid valve in the heater system that cuts of the flow of coolant to the heater core. It may have malfunctioned. It is also possible there could be a problem with the actual switches you use to control the climate control system. There are movable dampers in the ductwork that may not be working properly. And on newer cars, the entire system is controlled by a computer, which may not be functioning properly. My '01 Malibu had this problem. The compressor kept shutting off, I had to bypass the computer altogether, and install a toggle switch to control the compressor clutch manually.

The other thing that concerns me here is GM's attitude about taking care of the problem. That simply should not happen. But it does. My sister in Portland, OR bought a new Sonic LT automatic about a year ago, and has had warranty issues with it as well. I feel bad about it because I'm the one who talked her into it, she was going to buy a Honda Fit.

As a former fleet service technician with a fairly large govt. fleet department, I have dealt with GM representatives for a long time. I never had a problem. I guess they treat you differently when you own over 200 of their vehicles, and will potentially buy hundreds more, than they do if you only have one, and an inexpensive one at that. It's a shame. Warranty service is one of the main things I will be basing my purchasing decision on. Bob.

I have tried numerous times to explain this to the "technicians" (I was a mechanic for a car service in NY about 25 years ago), but since the computer can't tell them what the problem is, they have no idea what to do.

Numerous times I have told them that with the A/C on recirculate I can smell the outside air (other car's exhaust, cut grass, etc..), but again, it falls on deaf ears.

Just so you know, I have quite a few other problems with the car that they do not address by saying the car is "operating as designed".

It is sad to see a company I have been loyal to all my life acting that way. I also notice GM reps want to use PM all the time. I wonder what they are trying to hide?

That is because you need to provide some private information to them, that you wouldn't want to post publicly, I've found these gals quite helpful............

• 1 year later...

Grossmer, Dealer Technical Advice, was probably referring to GM Technical Assistance who gives the dealer technical advice. . When a vehicle has an issue that the Techs can't fix, they call TAC and start a case. Then the Tech Assistance Center Agents/Consultants and even the DSM/District Reps and possibly Engineers get involved and the case is handled or escalated as needed. If still unresolved and in multiple times, then the TARP(Tech Assistance Repurchase Prevention) Team gets involved, and they have a very high success rate at repairing the issue.. Just a little insight/ first hand knowledge...

Edited by Gary Segan

This all sounds really nice, as they continue to elevate the problem up the ladder. Why isn't this fully explained to the owner? This would instill some confidence in the person who just wants their car fixed, and are feeling totally ignored, or lied to. This forum is full of posts from Spark owners who just gave up and dumped their cars, because of dealership negligence. It seems most of the Chevy dealerships just don't give a damn. I have had a trouble free Spark, up to this point anyway, but would still hesitate to buy a new one, just based on all of the negative posts, on this forum alone. I would estimate that roughly 90% of the active members that posted on this forum, when I joined, close to three years ago, are no longer here. My assumption is, they are no longer Spark owners, and it seems that the reason they were leaving, was not that they disliked the car, it was all service issues, where they were being given the runaround. Although I really like my Spark, I can't blame them. Just my 2 cents..........

I think the reason some have had, well, multiple issues with theirs Sparks. Bearings, seat seams failure, rusty components, etc,etc, is due to the erratic quality control and great variance in 3rd party parts made at different factories from China to various Korean suppliers. Some, like myself and many others have had no issues, so I assume we got lucky the Spark was assembled properly & with 3rd party components that met all the specs as set out by the GM 3rd party parts spec sheets. My 2013 Spark (auto) had the AC working properly right off the lot and after 50Kmi++ of hard driving and high speed long trips still has good gas mileage, easily cruises at 100mph, burns no oil and works as it should. Mind you, I found the exhaust piping and rear brake components more prone to rust than normal and had to correct that with some anti corrosion treatment. Same with the engine aluminum valve cover that had whitish oxidation within a week..also had to apply anti-corrosion spray to the aluminum valve cover as well as brake calipers. As Walt has pointed out the GM Customer Service reps on this site have been quite helpful in escalating unresolved or difficult issues that some GM dealers service reps have handled badly. A big part of deciding to buy a particular car or choosing a brand is how good the after purchase warranty service is and with the many forums and info on the web, most do the research before a purchase decision is made and they may pass up a car they really like because of poor after purchase service experiences by others....Nuff said...

If you have to look at the bright side , most Spark owners drive a reliable problem free car . For those few people that had issues that an incompetent dealer couldn't fix, it could be worse. You could have ended up buying a Fiat and watched your dealer close their doors the following week leaving you to drive a hundred miles to find another . Or dealing with their lack of parts and knowledge to repair your car or wondering when Fiat will exit the U.S. again . There's plenty worse situations than you will ever see with Chevy . My dealer has been ok but not stellar . At least twice maybe 3 times I had to return because they screwed up an oil change by not checking the level . Twice I made an appt only to get there and wait only to find out they didn't have an oil filter or correct transmission oil . They ended up buying an aftermarket oil filter which then caused my oil to be overfilled . I was also promised something when I bought the car that was never followed up on . Not to mention some other problems just buying it . All this has led to a sour taste in my mouth .

When things go right they are done in a friendly and timely manner and have always been offered a loaner car if needed . They other closest Chevy dealer tried to lowball me on trade then jumped $2000 immediately when I said I had a better offer . I don't like those games , just give me a fair offer I understand they have to make money but just be fair . Their doc fee is $500 so they already made money .

I love my Spark , I think Chevy did a fantastic job especially with little details and build quality . I have thought about adding a 2016 Spark to the stable and could park them back to back on one side of the garage . However some of the dealer issues and lies are making me consider adding another Honda instead . I'll decide when I see and know more about the 2016 Spark . I would definitely miss the Onstar and it's newer features should I switch brands .

I know we are a small group of enthusiast here, but if there was no wide spread issues with things like the AC they would have never put out now 3 separate fixes until the final one that seems to work.

For us in warm states we noticed the issue right away. Some other states might never see an issue with it being cooler out. Some people just don't realize there is an issue and chalk it up to being a small car. Then there are people that are lead to believe from service dept that this is the way it's suppose to work, "working as designed".

I had that one resident that had issues too and after getting a run around and being in fear of other things happening they got rid of it. I have spoke to a few people on the road, sometimes see someone in a shopping center, they have had issues too and some have noticed the issues but we're told it's fine.

At least for us and the Internet we can communicate to help each other out.

Just like Walt said, some have been here almost from the beginning of the US release and have seen many just disappear. This is really a shame as the car could be really something special if Chevy handled the problems differently in the beginning. I love my spark just not the run around on issues.

I have been considering the 2016 Spark but now my Spark is fixed I'm leaning to keeping it. The trade value is crap so it's worth it to keep it as of now. Besides mine is like brand new. I have been in talks thru emails with a company in S Korea about body kits and shipping. I might be ordering a body kit before the end of the year seeing Chevy has not produced on for us in the states. The part numbers were all there but never came through with them. I wish Chevy could do a special order for us to our local dealers parts departments.

After looking at the members list and the dates of joining, it would seem that I am the longest still active member of the forum!

I joined in October of 2012 when I got my Spark, and have been here since.

No one (that I saw - aside from the Admin) that joined before me is still active or at least as active.

I guess I get the booby prize - I have to keep my Spark! :lol:

From my past experience owning micro cars . If you buy one then plan on keeping it unless you can absorb a heavy loss . None of them hold their value , it's way to niche a market .

Lower gas prices also make the appeal dissipate, if gas was $4 a gal. the demand for these cars would climb, raising the resale values. With gas prices currently going through the floor, people lose interest in economy minded cars. Here in Jersey, some stations are pumping as low as $1.79. I personally don't think this is going to last, gas prices will rise again, we've been here before, and when they do, so will the interest, and value of these little econo boxes. As glad as we all are to see oil prices falling, it is a double edged sword, as far as the value of our cars go.

If you have to look at the bright side , most Spark owners drive a reliable problem free car . For those few people that had issues that an incompetent dealer couldn't fix, it could be worse. You could have ended up buying a Fiat and watched your dealer close their doors the following week leaving you to drive a hundred miles to find another . Or dealing with their lack of parts and knowledge to repair your car or wondering when Fiat will exit the U.S. again . There's plenty worse situations than you will ever see with Chevy . My dealer has been ok but not stellar . At least twice maybe 3 times I had to return because they screwed up an oil change by not checking the level . Twice I made an appt only to get there and wait only to find out they didn't have an oil filter or correct transmission oil . They ended up buying an aftermarket oil filter which then caused my oil to be overfilled . I was also promised something when I bought the car that was never followed up on . Not to mention some other problems just buying it . All this has led to a sour taste in my mouth .

When things go right they are done in a friendly and timely manner and have always been offered a loaner car if needed . They other closest Chevy dealer tried to lowball me on trade then jumped $2000 immediately when I said I had a better offer . I don't like those games , just give me a fair offer I understand they have to make money but just be fair . Their doc fee is $500 so they already made money .

I love my Spark , I think Chevy did a fantastic job especially with little details and build quality . I have thought about adding a 2016 Spark to the stable and could park them back to back on one side of the garage . However some of the dealer issues and lies are making me consider adding another Honda instead . I'll decide when I see and know more about the 2016 Spark . I would definitely miss the Onstar and it's newer features should I switch brands .

Hi Sparkfanatic,

We really appreciate your comments, and I will be sure to document your feedback. We strive to provide you with a vehicle that we hope will exceed your expectations, and I'm saddened to hear that your previous experience has made you re-think our products.

The 2016 Spark's new design is definitely tempting, and we hope that you will consider the vehicle when it is time to add another to your Spark family. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or additional concerns. I would be more than happy to locate another dealership in your location, assist you further with any vehicle concerns or just continue to document your feedback. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

Thanks Walt!

Like Bluer said above, the trade in and resale value is in the toilet, so it looks like I'll be keeping my Spark - for now, so y'all are stuck with me! B)

And don't call me Shirley! :hysterical:

I don't owe much on my loan, well under $5000 left. I'm going to keep it as of now. Maybe pay it off and consider a 2016 too.

I have a child that's driving soon so who knows.

Now I'm tempted to finally order my body kit from S Korea.

Lower gas prices also make the appeal dissipate, if gas was $4 a gal. the demand for these cars would climb, raising the resale values. With gas prices currently going through the floor, people lose interest in economy minded cars. Here in Jersey, some stations are pumping as low as $1.79. I personally don't think this is going to last, gas prices will rise again, we've been here before, and when they do, so will the interest, and value of these little econo boxes. As glad as we all are to see oil prices falling, it is a double edged sword, as far as the value of our cars go.

Gas prices do make a difference to a point . However here in Ct I paid 2.70 a gallon . Even years back when gas was high my Smart had zero resale value . The fact is a lot of people will gravitate towards a larger car that has similar mpg . The resale on a Honda Fit or Toyota are strong regardless off fuel cost . Part of the problem are the reviewers of the cars . We all know how great the real world mpg of the Spark is , far exceeding that of the window sticker . The car is fun to drive has more features per dollar than any other micro. Though it's the best selling car in the micro class , it's too bad others don't go out and drive one to see how great s little car it is instead of reading bogus magazine reviews .

Hi Sparkfanatic,

We really appreciate your comments, and I will be sure to document your feedback. We strive to provide you with a vehicle that we hope will exceed your expectations, and I'm saddened to hear that your previous experience has made you re-think our products.

The 2016 Spark's new design is definitely tempting, and we hope that you will consider the vehicle when it is time to add another to your Spark family. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or additional concerns. I would be more than happy to locate another dealership in your location, assist you further with any vehicle concerns or just continue to document your feedback. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

Thank you Patsy . There are no other dealers that are close to me . I have 2 in my general area , anything further is inconvenient and would be easier to switch brands . I don't want it to sound like the dealer is awful but the sales end of the deal didn't go smooth and promises not kept . I'm not the type to complain or argue but will just go elsewhere with my business . The other dealer was playing games on trade value and I don't do that . When I purchased Toyota and Honda cars they didn't play games . They offered what I knew the car was worth and Honda even gave me additional $500 incentive that I didn't even qualify for . After I bought my Spark I went out and purchased my second Honda CR-Z . The salesman didn't get back to me on the day he was supposed to due to death in the family unknown to me at the time .

When I went to the dealer upset about the situation the owner himself jumped on it . They take pride in their integrity as a dealership and the car was pulled from another dealership for the next day . They did everything they could to make me happy . My Chevy dealer never even followed up after the sale even though they said they would . They didn't follow up on a lot of things . To this very day I still have plastic delivery wrap on the rear seats they never bothered to take off . Their response was that it was the dealer from whom they got the car from responsibility since they got paid for prep . Unacceptable and shameful in my opinion . By contrast the CR-Z I specifically asked the dealer to get from another dealer had some rust on the brake rotors . I noticed this when I looked at the car on the other dealers lot . I forgot to mention it when they went to get the car . When I arrived the day of delivery my Honda dealer took care of it themselves prepping the car again . When I talked to my salesman he said that's not how they do business there . They inspect and do what's needed regardless if it's a car on their lot or taken from another dealer . In the end it's their reputation on the line .

I won't make any decision on another Spark till I see the 2016. I love my Spark , love driving it everywhere and in all weather conditions , sun , downpours , blizzards . It's been a fantastic car and that might weigh more than common sense and mistrust . The dealer experience is so important in repeat customers that I don't understand how some dealers don't get that .

Yup..These days of similar products at similar prices, customer service is often the deciding factor in making a purchase...and this applies not only to vehicles, but to everything from restaurants, to hardware and now even airlines or private plane or boat cruise or charter where one charter or cruise will offer inclusive and excellent limo service and baggage that you place on the driveway and is only seen again at your destination hotel or your ships cabin.

Customer service has gone downhill since the '50's when you would pull up to a gas station and one or two attendants would come out to fill you gas and clean your windows. Just like at the banks, it's all 'self serve'...Personally I prefer to deal with a real person in all cases. When shopping for a new car customer service becomes even more important since any new vehicle will have some adjustments or issues..a good indicator is when you buy a car and the sales guy says, "come back & pick it up when you get your new plates and registration"...another dealer will do all that for you and some will even give you a rental while you wait.

When we inquired when our new Range Rover would be ready for pick up our sales person gave us a day and time...not to pick it up, but when it would be delivered to our driveway and then my wife, salesman & I were asked to check it out while he wrote on his clipboard and drive him back over various conditions to make sure all was good...That is why we chose that dealer, for their good reputation for customer service...OK..Nuff said by this 'old timer'.