Where does everyone like to keep their Tire Pressure at?

The sticker inside my 2013 Spark says 40PSI, the stock tires themselves say 50PSI. I made the mistake of trusting the dealership to have given me the car at 40PSI. Not wanting to let any of the nitrogen out I hadn't checked my tire pressure until the warning light came on recently. All tires were around 30 PSI! The warning light was telling me that all of my tires were too low on pressure, sure beats having a slow leak mind you and perhaps now I know why I have been getting bunk milage. I bumped them all up to 40.

Where do you like to keep your tire pressure at??

My car was delivered at 37psi. on an 95 degree day. I've seen as low as 29psi in 14 degree weather now. Rule of thumb is 1-1.5psi per 10 degree drop. Nitrogen should reduce that, but it still happens.

The inflation rating on the tire is max inflation, not suggested inflation. Use the car's suggested pressure.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a recommendation on what pressure I should keep mine at, living in FL?

40 psi is a good bet. Just make sure your tires are cool when you check the pressure. In other words, don't check them right after driving, let them sit for an hour or so.

40 psi is a good bet. Just make sure your tires are cool when you check the pressure. In other words, don't check them right after driving, let them sit for an hour or so.

Thank you!! I checked a few hours after getting the car from the dealer and they were at 34-36, now they're all at 40!

• 8 months later...

Because the stock tires contain such a low volume of air (7.2"wide at 55% of 7.2" gives us 4"high) the tires easily fluctuate in pressure due to temperature changes. I find myself constantly adjusting the pressure. I now run at 45psi 'cold' so a slight drop would bring them down to spec of 40psi. I also find better mileage at 45psi. Next set of tires will be 195/55R15 on the stock rims. 2" higher with a softer ride but the speedometer and odometer will read 5% lower-eg: 80mph actual will read as 76mph. 30mpg will read as 28.5mpg. Rpm's will also be lower by 5% at actual speed. Not a big deal.

•I would actually prefer to put 205/50R15's on the same rims, giving a better ride without the 5% trade off as explained above as the 205/50R15's are about the same height but not sure if the 205's will rub on turns...anyone know about the 195, 205 I'm talking about and whether that will work or anything I have overlooked?...I'm not too familiar with tire stuff.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead
  • 1 month later...

I ran the stock tires at 40 lbs front 42 lbs rear for a compromise between fuel mileage and ride quality (tires were still harsh riding).

On my 185/60-14" wheels I run 34 lbs front and 36 lbs rear. They are not rock hard fuel efficient tires like the stock tires. Much smoother and better traction. On any all season radial that isn't a rock hard fuel efficient tire, the 2250 pound Spark feels and rides better at tire pressures well under 40 lbs.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I keep my tires at 250kpa or 36psi, roughly speaking. But I don't bother re-airing it if it drips a bit, only if it drops seriously low like below 200kpa.

Speaking of air pressure, I've learned a lesson on simple safety. Everyone should always carry two things in their trunk: an air pump/instant compressor and also a tire patch kit with an extra knife (to cut/trim the plug after insertion) and grip/clamp to pull foreign objects from a tire. I had a flat tire in April of this year, the spare came in handy, but I could have spent a few extra minutes doing the fix myself and not even needed the spare had I had the tire patch plugs and a few basic tools. You never know when you will need it, but its handy to have.

This is especially true if you have a vehicle without a spare tire, which is unfortunately becoming more common as car makers cut costs. It is just too easy to patch a tire yourself on the side of the road and getting it fixed permanently on the spot, and the tools cost so little to have in storage.

Edited by sparkto