2012 Spark oil consumption

Any body have oil use issues?

My wife came home saying the Spark was acting funny, no power.

I checked the oil and it was off the stick.

I put 1 1/2 qts in it and drove it seemed normal to me.

Still had 53% oil life left on 5/20 valvoline synthetic. (Delos compatable)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got a PM from Patsy (Chevy support) saying that my car is in a group that has a program for defective pcv replacement. She said she was having computer issues and didn't have more info, but whe

• 3 months later...

Check out this thread http://chevysparkforum.com/topic/1739-half-stall-at-highway-speeds/page-3

The oil pressure light will not come on until pressure is completely insufficient and the engine will fail.

Yes it does have a limp mode. This picture is of when my fuel injectors and ECU failed, ignore the other lights the one you are looking for is at the top. it will only be there until you turn the car off.

sparkfail_zpsf6c5f45c.jpg

• 2 months later...

I would like to see the full service procedure for setting up the 1000 mile consumption test, too many things changed the day I brought my car in for the start of this test which makes me think their is some messing around with the conditions of the car during this test.

• 2 weeks later...

2013 Chevy Spark oil consumption issues.

I noticed I had oil consumption issues starting around 20k miles. I took it into the dealership and they changed my oil and asked me to bring it in every 1000 miles so they can check the dip stick. We did this for 3000 miles and it was totally fine. They then told me not to worry about it but to just check it so often. Then I continued to have the same issues with the car at around 3000-5000 miles since the last oil change. They included: loss of acceleration, top speed around 65-70mph, a loud ticking noise from the actuators, then finally the check engine light came on. So I brought it back to the dealership and they had me purchase a quart of oil and the ticking and engine light went away. They told me that the car is designed to "use" oil and that I should change the oil more often then the recommended 7000 miles. I've been very good about the maintenance and I know enough about cars that they should not be burning a quart or two within the recommended time frame for oil changes. I believe the guys at the dealership are just trying to play off the fact that there could be a real issue. I haven't noticed any oil on the ground where I park but there is oil on the engine.

For those of you who have had oil issues and they decided to change your engine: Can you explain what they said the problems were? and did the dealership try to put it on you for not changing your oil sooner than the recommended time frame?

I started having oil consumption issues with my 2014 Spark after an oil change on May 2, 2014. Around May 5, 2014 My engine light came on while driving, accompanied by a ticking noise and some stalling. I finally reached bill estes in Indianapolis and was told the car was 3 quarts short on oil. They filled the oil to the recommended levels, the engine light went off, the car ran fine. Early today May 21 I had the levels checked, the levels were again ridiculously low, less than 2quarts. Taking car back to the dealer tomorrow, it appears the car is burning oil. I am a very disappointed brand new spark owner!

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a 2013 spark with 28,000mi cool little car and the wife loves it. Before scheduled oil change at 31,000 mi we take a off ramp from the expressway with the long sweeping curve and the oil light flashes. Pull into a parking lot and check oil. Nothing, absolutely nothing, put 3 quarts in it to get it back to operating range. Have been checking it every 2 days now as my wife has a 120 mi. commute a day for work. Goes through 2 + quarts a week. Doing the oil consumption test now , but looking at some of these forums , has any of the replacement engines been better? The dealership said that it would replace pistons + rings , but will I have to go through this again in another 30,000 etc, etc.? Advice?

I've had a hesitation since I bought the car. I've had right at a year now and I'm at 19500 miles on the odo. I'm hoping not to get the oil issues. So far so good. The hesitation is intermittent and more frequent with a/c on. FYI got that fixed today and so far so good. But while it was in for service I mentioned the hesitation issues. They did Some testing and they are replacing all four injectors. Hope all is well after that and it's the last of the bugs to be worked out. Anyone else have injector issues?

Mine is now using oil, right around 29k miles. First clue was a hesitation and missfire for the first few seconds upon a cold start. Just checked the oil, 1qt low after it was full 4 days ago. Oil also appeared darker than it was 4 days ago. Off to the dealer I go. Hopefully I'll get a Sonic or Cruze while waiting for a new engine.

Edited by austex04

Haha well, it will be another 4500 miles before you get an engine. They want you to do a consumption test 3 trips to the sealer and they like 1500 miles between trips. I just used 1/4 quart driving 60 miles. It uses faster when I drive the hills. I'm on consumption test 3 and they are just finally considering an engine.

Mine is now using oil, right around 29k miles. First clue was a hesitation and missfire for the first few seconds upon a cold start. Just checked the oil, 1qt low after it was full 4 days ago. Oil also appeared darker than it was 4 days ago. Off to the dealer I go. Hopefully I'll get a Sonic or Cruze while waiting for a new engine.

Hey austex04,

Please feel free to send me a PM with further updates with the dealership. I apologize for this frustrating concern, and will be happy to document this or provide further assistance. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

Keep in mind that they still don't know what is causing this condition in some engines. So that wonderful new replacement may have the exact same problem. And while you are being jerked around with a bunch of oil consumptions tests, your car gets older and older, and the internals get more and more damaged by the carbon building up inside. It sounds like you are consuming faster than I am, so you might eventually see some light at the end of the tunnel, but unless mine gets worse it is going to be consuming oil for the rest of it's life.

And unfortunately, all the manufacturers screw you like this. If the catalyst can handle the load, they will do nothing. This of course gives the owner a really bad feeling about the manufacturer and pushes them to another brand. I had advanced warning about how I was going to be treated from my brother who works on Mercedes, they have an even worse "specification" for oil consumption and their cars no longer have dipsticks so even the guys fixing them don't know how much oil it needs until they drain it, measure it, and fill it back up. You just get this idiot light that says oil low and you take it in for about $150 worth of a check if it is out of warranty.

Welcome to the oil consumption club, might as well start thinking about what you will trade this in towards and get ready to move when you get a good deal! Maybe we should start a new thread to compare miles per quart of oil and see who gets the worst mileage :banghead::sad:

I found where the oil was going, leaking from the defective o ring on the oil filter. I replaced it and did another oil change. I think I got bad gas in Oregon when I went down to buy a new tv and a few other big ticket items, so I didn't pay sales tax. I'm going to try a bottle of Techron concentrate and fresh gas when this tank is gone.

Keep in mind that they still don't know what is causing this condition in some engines. So that wonderful new replacement may have the exact same problem. And while you are being jerked around with a bunch of oil consumptions tests, your car gets older and older, and the internals get more and more damaged by the carbon building up inside. It sounds like you are consuming faster than I am, so you might eventually see some light at the end of the tunnel, but unless mine gets worse it is going to be consuming oil for the rest of it's life.

And unfortunately, all the manufacturers screw you like this. If the catalyst can handle the load, they will do nothing. This of course gives the owner a really bad feeling about the manufacturer and pushes them to another brand. I had advanced warning about how I was going to be treated from my brother who works on Mercedes, they have an even worse "specification" for oil consumption and their cars no longer have dipsticks so even the guys fixing them don't know how much oil it needs until they drain it, measure it, and fill it back up. You just get this idiot light that says oil low and you take it in for about $150 worth of a check if it is out of warranty.

Welcome to the oil consumption club, might as well start thinking about what you will trade this in towards and get ready to move when you get a good deal! Maybe we should start a new thread to compare miles per quart of oil and see who gets the worst mileage :banghead::sad:

Yea, No new engine for me. I got a new spark plug on cylinder 4, new PCV and a throttle body cleaning. AND back to the consumption test to see if it worked. So in the mean time, while I know it will probably still be broken, I am having to put another almost 5 thousand miles on my vehicle and creek ever closer to the end of my bumper to bumper period.

I bet they get out of court not owing you a dime, and you'll have thousands of dollars in legal fees for your injury. Their lawyers get paid whether they work or not, so it won't cost GM anything. And they count on this, if they thought you had enough money to just spend it on anything, they wouldn't even think of going to court.

You'd do better finding someone with a monster truck to smash your car and post the video and why you did it all over the web. For what you'll get as a trade in, it might be worth it. I wonder if PayPal would allow donations for a smashed car replacement fund, they would need to report that income to the IRS, and that might be why they wouldn't allow it.

• 1 month later...

New to the site and wanted to chime in. My wife's 13 Spark now has 48k miles burns oil like crazy. When doing oil changes only about 1 qt of oil comes out. The dealership at this point has only replaced the valve cover gasket even after explaining everything I've read online. It's getting dropped off today for the 3rd time. I'm looking for as much info on this as I can.

2013 Chevy Spark: At 36,100 miles engine started knocking, check engine light came on, and it had reduced power. Went to an out of town dealership on a Saturday and the code was "Engine knock sensor short" or something like that. The sales team read it since the shop had just closed. They said, take it to your shop and it should be fine to drive in the mean time. Got it in 4 days later. 3.5 quarts low on oil. After filling, everything seemed fine. I was criticized for going 7500 between oil changes as the book says. It felt like the general tone of the conversation was directed towards me changing my own oil and waiting too long. They almost had me convinced to replace the knock sensor which was out of warranty. I declined.

After 3 days and after doing my own research (on this site), I am headed back into the dealer for the next oil change and to start the oil consumption test. When making the appointment, they said that oil consumption is going up on all vehicles due to the "extended" drain intervals everyone is going with, >3000. My thoughts are that they don't see the consumption due to them changing it so often. If they only take 3 quarts out after 3000 miles vice 1 quart after 7500 miles, the first is not very noticeable, while the second is extreme and they blame it on the consumer. Both are fairly constant.

Anyways, I will update as the process begins.

But they still don't help when you have all the oil changes done at a dealer, they suspect the other dealers of not filling it properly. Somewhere, someone needs to be responsible. I keep getting the dealer pointing their finger at Chevy, and Chevy pointing their finger at the dealers. This in turn makes us owners go to a different brand and hope life isn't any worse there.