Sparks ESP lamp coming On when driving.

Hello to all Spark owners

I have just come across an issue with our (UK) Chevrolet Spark LT 2011 MY vehicle with the ESP lamp coming On. Now we have only had the car for a few weeks, as we had purchased it second hand from a car supermarket many many miles away from us. Our vehicle doesn’t have any manufacturer’s warranty as the previous owner failed to get the car serviced within the specified timeframe, even though it only has just over 5000 miles on the clock. Anyway back to the complaint, we were just coming off the motorway and slowing down when we noticed that the ESP lamp had popped up on the centre dash display. The ESP lamp lights up yellow and doesn’t flash, neither is it the same lamp as the disable ESP notification lamp (if the turn ESP OFF was pressed in error). Currently I guess we need our vehicle booking into a garage so that we can have the ABS/ESP DTC’s read, in order to establish the cause of this problem. Can I just ask the forum if anyone else has encounter issues with the ABS/ESP braking system on these cars?

Additional comments: The ESP lamp will extinguish after the engine had been turned off, but after a short drive out, the lamp will display again. I think that the ESP lamp seems to illuminate whilst braking as the car pitches forward when it slows down, might be a Yaw or lateral accelerometer sensor failure.

Thanks for reading.

Regards

Mark

Update...

After having the codes read for the ABS/ESP module, I found the following DTC's were logged: C0131 and C0161, both codes had no text descriptions on our code reader tool. After looking through the internet I could only find a Chevrolet description for C0161, which seems to point at a faulty Brake Switch. So I guess I would like to ask the people here if they know what the other code could be, any ideas chaps?

Regards

Mark

Many thanks WaltK for your input.

I have just ordered a new brake pedal sensor (4pin type) and it will be with me tomorrow hopefully. I will fit that tomorrow evening and see how it goes, if it turns out to be a pressure sensor and its internally fitted in the ABS module (not sure about that yet) then it will be costly to repair. Time to get rid after only a few weeks of my misses owning it I feel.

Once again, thanks.

If I had a service manual I might have better information, but I can't even get on Helm's website right now to check and see if they are still going to sell them next month or if it has been delayed again.

They're claiming 11/4, http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=GMC&Make=CHV&Model=SPAR&Year=2013&Category=1&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=

Their site was dead earlier. I see it now has an add to cart, but when I click it I get a screen that says cart is empty. And I haven't received an email at any of the three accounts I registered. But now I'll be looking every day to see if the button works.

ESP Update.

Well I fitted the new brake pedal switch yesterday and then I went out for a drive in the Spark, so far the ESP lamp is not illuminating, but I guess the proof will be what happens over a longer timeframe.

Thanks for the assistance from you all so far. :)

Regards

Mark.

Edited by markeboy1234