Manual Shift isn't smooth

Hello, i've got my Spark 1.2 LT two months ago and did 2,300 KM's,

I've try to find the best way to shfit smoothly, especialy from 1st or 2nd gear and just couldn't do it,

allways when releasing the clutch the car jumps a bit, and knocks, i did try many ways to shift smooth but nothing work,

1.shift from 1st to 2nd at 2,500 RPM

2.1st to 2nd at 3,500 RPM and so...

when i shift i leave the gas, put the clutch in, transfer the shift to the next one, leave the clutch gently and then put gas again, is this the correct way?

maybe i have an clutch problem? is this possible on a brand new car?

i did drive manual cars and never had that issue that i couldn't find the perfect spot to shift smoothly,

i hope you guys can help me get a lead of this issue, Thanks,

Adi.

Try what's called "rev matching", that's when you give it gas while the clutch is pushed in, to closely match the engine speed to the gear your going to put it into right before you release the clutch. These cars don't like going into second, unless you shift from first around 3k rpm. Also, the 1'st gear ratio will cause the clutch to wear faster if your not careful or live where it's very hilly."

• 1 month later...

One of my favorite how to videos. I haven't driven stick on a daily basis in years and needed a refresher course for daily driving again.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2327201_getting-shift_-manual-transmission-lessons.html

I would suggest against rev-matching personally as it seems futile on such a small engine. I agree with austex04 about the shift points, 1st gear likes a higher rev, and it is awkward too. 2nd and so on are much smoother. I use a general 10 - 15 mph rule for each gear. 10-15, 1st, 2nd at 20, 3rd 30 to 35, 4th at 40 and 5th gear from 45 mph and higher.

1st gear as said above does seem to shift best at 3500 rpm , pretty much the other gears around 2500 rpm.

Personally I find syncing 1st gear with the gas pedal to be as graceful as a dance partner with a wooden leg. ;-)

I find that my absolute smoothest shifts happen at < 2000 rpm. 1800rpm, shift, repeats

1st gear doesnt even get me halfway across an intersection. drives super smooth this way. I only use 1st gear to get barely rolling, into 2nd, then drive 'normal' from there.

• 3 weeks later...

With small light weight cars you will notice changes more. try running the car in first gear to say 3000 rpm, look at the speed, then try 2nd gear at the same speed. notice what rpm you are at. like they say match your engine speed to your rpm for the gear you are going into.

• 1 month later...

same here. i've driven a manual most of my 20 driving years, and the Spark is the first that i can't seem to get a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd. it sort of "shutters" before it catches. im guessing it the electronic throttle, cuz it's the first time i have that. maybe just more practice since my car only has 1200mi on it. lol

• 2 weeks later...

The electronic throttle makes it very difficult to get smooth shifts, I've mostly given up trying.

Yeah, when I first take off and the engine is cold, the throttle tends to "stick" open a little bit making mine go VRROOOOM shifting between 3rd and 4th gear unless I wait for the RPM's to drop a little before pushing the clutch in to go into 4th.

My gearbox will crunch going from 1st to 2nd when it's really cold (below freezing) unless it's babied into it (gently pressured into second). And this is with the clutch fully depressed, and it doesn't do it shifting to any other gear or when down shifting. After it's driven for a while and heats up it doesn't do it. My spark has less than 2k miles on it.

Edited by manualsparkls

Mine only started this recently, last winter no crunching.

This seems to be a common occurrence. After doing some reading, I can come up with two conclusions. The gearbox oil is really thick when cold and slowing down the syncros, or the syncros are going bad. I hope it's not the latter.