Hi,

Just a bit of backstory:

I bought my '13 Spark 1LT MT in July. Love the little bugger. Couple little issues tho. The car wants to hold the RPMs after depressing the clutch and a couple little small things. The big issue came the first time it went below 40degrees. I got in it to go to work, put it gear, and was off. Problem was, it sounded like a Caterpillar diesel skidsteer. It went away buy the time I hit the stop sign a block away. It sounded like the dreaded piston slap I had in my 2.2l TurboZ Daytona years ago. So I scheduled an appointment. The morning before I took it in, for giggles I set up my GoPro at 5:30 am and fired it up. I put it in first with the parking brake on and put a load on the engine. Clear as day it sounded like all hell. I had the tech sit in the car and watch the video on the MyLink. He said that yes, he hears a problem.

So today I get a call from Chevy. I get the dreaded "We cant replicate the issue" then they proceeded to ask me if I had changed the oil. I said yes that I changed it at 1500 miles with Mobil1 and used a Chevy filter. They asked what weight and I told them the factory spec. So the jist of the conversation went that they are saying that the Mobil1 makes the car knock in the cold due to leak down of the valve seals. I call bullshit. They are round and about saying its my fault for changing the oil early and that there is nothing wrong.

What should I do? I am not a novice when it comes to wrenching but I'm not going to work on a brand new car with 2700miles! And I also dont want to go thru a long chain of dealers before I go lemon law.

Heres the video from yesterday morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEvUhEXk2d0&feature=youtu.be

Thoughts?

I suggest taking it into another dealer, not the same one, for a oil change, the reason why is because you don't want the dealer putting in 10w30 or 10w40 oil and saying it's fine, it will only mask the noise . Save the receipt. If it still has piston slap, which it will, take it back to the original dealer with oil change receipt in hand. This is probably going to be a long ordeal with the dealer and GM.

Edited by austex04

Update:

After 2 days they couldnt "replicate" the problem. The dealer was actually pretty great about it. I understand it completely when they said GM wont let the tear into a motor on a video alone. They've actually been great. So as the miffed customer is one to do, I called GM. I talked to customer service and ran thru the situation. They then, in turn, called the dealer. They asked the dealer is there is a problem. They answered yes but couldnt replicate the problem. GM then asked if it could be a persistent detrimental problem in the future. The dealer said yes which is awesome. I was told that it was going to a regional district manager for next step. When I asked what that was I was told next level repair or vehicle replacement. I have a job and no time to dick with this stuff. I dont want to be going back and forth to the shop to pin this down after I just dropped 15k on a BRAND NEW CAR!

I just want to have the car I paid for and not a diesel turd. A replacement would be great or even a different model. I don't really care. I guess a little positive attitude bitching seems to work!

The colder the weather is, the greater chance they'll hear it in the morning. It'll only last a minute or two when first started for the day. The chance they'll replace the engine or not depends on if they think it'll last 5 years or 100k miles without burning oil past the rings, or the knocking getting worse. That sound could also just be the variable valve timing unit, if these engines use cam phasing for vvt. If the variator leaks down of oil overnight, it'll make the same racket you recorded until it's pumped back up with oil, and can last about 20-40 seconds.

Edited by austex04

Yeah, it could be leak down or something valvetrain related but the fact that it has less than 3k on it and it already has issues bothers the hell out of me. My Mazda was in the shop exactly once for a stereo button light replacement in all its 40k miles. I took the wife out this morning, thru it in first and boogied down the road. First thing she said was "Yep, sounds like shit". Its 53degrees.

I'm not the type of person to bitch about anything (food, housing, clothes) but, damn, 15k and I'm already on the verge of a new engine in 3mths. Nope. Not a good way to start ownership.

The dealer should have known that Mobile 1 is dexos approved, it comes as factory fill in the sports cars and now that the 5w30 is approved we even have the "correct" weight for our cars. Anything a dealer puts in better be the approved type!

We'll see. I've got a short laundry list of shit wrong with this car. They are supposed to call me Monday or Tuesday to go over everything. Probably going to tell me to either A: Piss off or B:Take it back to the dealer. Hopefully there is a C: that involves a swap for an identical car.

Edited by Brandon Fitzpatrick

How long does the car sound like that? Did this just start right after the oil change? I've had a oil filter have a defective anti drainback valve, and had clatter when first started for 10 seconds or so. Once I replaced the filter, it went away. If GM offers a replacement car, you should just try to get them to buy it back, and take your money elsewhere. That's what I'd do, GM is still making junk, and they know it. Should have seen all the trim gaps on the Cruze loaner I had, pitiful. I'm going back to Hyundai or Toyota after this mistake, and highly advise anyone considering this car to go elsewhere.

How long does the car sound like that? Did this just start right after the oil change?

It does it loudly for 2-3min then tapers off when its cold. When the engine is warmed up it just kinda sounds like an old Dodge Aries and clunks away. You have to listen for it but its there. Wasn't when I bought it. Getting slowly worse.

And no, it didn't do it till about 1k miles after the oil change.

Edited by Brandon Fitzpatrick

Okay, 2-3 min is definitely bad. The sound should get louder when you let off the gas, if so it's definitely piston slap. That one is really bad, I'm sure GM will realize it won't even make it near 100k miles before it starts having blow by and burns oil. You can get a Fiesta SE MT for around $15 grand, also Kia Rio, Nissan Versa, and Hyundai Accent are close to that price, and are much better cars. I want another Accent, and wish I didn't trade my older Accent in for this, it had zero problems in four years and 60k miles, never any rattles, ether.

Might want to change the oil filter. AC Delco used to be good until they went with the new "ecore" design. Total crap! Google it and you will see what I mean..

Problem is, there's no other brand filters available for these cars, not that it matters to me, since mine is getting traded in before 100k, or hopefully by 36k miles.

I'm not giving up hope. I would be satisfied with an equal swap. I like the car. I don't think I'm out of line in asking for a swap after only 90 days and a potential new engine. Thats retarded. I just want what I paid for. Nothing more nothing less. If I wanted to be in the shop 2+ times in the first 3mths I would have bought a Mitsubishi. And if I wanted a project, I would have bought a $500 car not a 15k car