What Octane Rating of fuel should I use?

Hi guys i just need a little info. I just bought a Chevy Spark early this March. I was just wondering if I could use fuel with 95 Octane (RON) instead of the 93 octane rating fuel i use? What are the good and bad effects of doing this?

What octane rating does Chevrolet recommend to be used for Spark?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys i just need a little info. I just bought a Chevy Spark early this March. I was just wondering if I could use fuel with 95 Octane (RON) instead of the 93 octane rating fuel i use? What are the good and bad effects of doing this?

What octane rating does Chevrolet recommend to be used for Spark?

Using fuel with more octane rating:

Bad: for your pocket

Good: NONE

It's a small engine with not a very high compression so the higher octane will not be useful at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I use regular 87 Octane Rating ever since I bought the vehicle. Don't hear any knocking or anything. Plus, like a few have mention it's a small engine. I wouldn't want to spend more on a higher octane if it could run perfectly on the lowest (cheaper) octane.

Definitely makes a big difference fueling the Spark compared to my Camaro SS <- Damn that thing uses the Highest Octane Premium fuel.

On a side note: I wonder what kind of car would use the Racing Fuel? There is a Speed Way by my area that has that type of fuel on 2 pumps. Octane is like 99 or 100 rating. I wonder, but not tempted to try it at 6/7 bucks a gallon.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its not a race car but it doesnt hurt to run higher octane it burns cleaner as well increases fuel economy!

Yes...(for the Spark), it will hurt your checking account and isn't needed.

Having the other car, I can tell you it's a pain to find 93+ in most places (I found one place that has 95 and use it)...but it does get pricey with each fill-up.

Edited by respdoc

Yes...(for the Spark), it will hurt your checking account and isn't needed.

Having the other car, I can tell you it's a pain to find 93+ in most places (I found one place that has 95 and use it)...but it does get pricey with each fill-up.

It really isnt a matter of needs it. yes you use higher octane for a performace car 100+ for a track car... but you can stiil benefit from higher octane in smaller cars improve fuel economy and cleaner burn. I am not saying go to your closest track and fill up no that just stupid but 91 and 93 octance does show improvent in mpg as I have tested in other small cars I own

but you can stiil benefit from higher octane in smaller cars improve fuel economy and cleaner burn.

No, I'm sorry but you're not correct. Octane main purpose is for anti-knock properties but in no way (or any credible data exists) that a higher than recommended octane rating increasing "fuel economy" (based mostly on ECU not even being able to utilize the higher numbers).

I do data-log and change my ecu maps quite a bit on the GT-R based on many perimeters (including octane rating). Even then...we are not talking about massive differences in numbers based on just on one or two octane points.

The Spark, of course, is a totally different animal with a totally different engine/ECU setup.

While it might make you feel better....the actual numbers and benefits just aren't physically there (engine/ECU wise) to be had.

Edited by respdoc

The engine combustion must be at a certain temp to ignite a certain fuel. Higher compression or forced induction engines require a higher octane for anti-knock. Sure you can run lower octane in those cars as the ECU can compensate for it. The result is power loss. However, ECU's cannot compensate for a higher octane than recommended. Basically, running a higher octane in a car rated for 87 means that there will be un-burned fuel because the engine cannot ignite and use all of it.

This is one of those automotive myths similar to leaving a pick up trucks tailgate down to increase mileage. They both are false.

Unless the computer is constantly trying to increase timing advance and listens for knock to know how far it can go. Higher octane would allow more advance if the computer is trying to dynamically adjust. This is something that we just don't know about this car.

That said, I would stick with 87 since it is so much cheaper.

Unless the computer is constantly trying to increase timing advance and listens for knock to know how far it can go.

The only way that would be possible is if the ECU is programmed that way (more aggressive). I am 99.9% sure their stock profile is not aggressive in any way (can't be 100% sure since I don't have access to the maps..but still :) )

Edited by respdoc
  • 10 months later...

Well it is a vvt high compression engine (10.5:1). So it can use and may even prefer to use the higher octane. But because it is vvt it is able to arrest spark for lower octane and use 87 fine. I do see a Noticable difference in power with 93 perticularly at take off and at 70+ mph. My mpgs are better due to more hp at take off. Also mpgs stay above 40mpg at 70-75mph which I don't get with 87. So it really equals out cost wise. Just up to you in what you want spend up front.

• 1 month later...

My 2013 LT 1 automatic seems to run best on the 90 octane plus I can feel a difference in power and less low rpm hesitations than with 87 octane regular but 93 octane super is no improvement in my car .. But with my older Chevys some cars same car same motor was more sensitive to the gas you put in ... I guess put in what your car runs best with that's what I do ..