Riverspark

CEL Flashing, Traction Control Illuminated, Rough Idle and Hard Clunking

110 posts in this topic

Having the same issues. My car has only 10,000 miles on it, even though its almost a year old, so its not like I'm driving the hell out of it, but I'm getting the same issues. Took it to the dealer twice now. Even they admitted they didn't know what the issue was. First it was a misfire in cylinder 3. Then it was an occasional misfire in cylinder 1. And the guy mentioned that it really only seemed to be during cold starts, so he wasn't sure if they fixed the issue or not. Glad I found this forum! Now I'll have somewhere to direct him to look!

Good luck to you, this is a known issue, so they should be on top of it. Keep us informed, on how it goes.

Just bought a 2013 spark certified pre owned 40,000 km have had nothing but issues. Certified Pre owned means joke to me now. Engine light and traction control light flashing then goes into limp mode. No power 2nd gear real fun doing highway speeds almost caused a crash. I read all the info here. Advised dealer they told me oh be a lose battery connection. They found oil fouled plugs in 3/4. Tons of miss fires yet engine light doesn't stay on confuses me. They said we will change piston rings to fix. They changed my spark plugs and told me safe to drive till parts come in. 2 days later same issue call and complain for selling me a lemon and an unsafe pos. Wife drove it to dealer after work for rental Messed up 3 times on way. If you restart gets out of limp mode till it messes up again. They took my engine apart a week later when parts came in. I get a call piston rings won't fix it needs a new engine. I guess they didn't do cross hatching on cylinder walls on 1 and 4. Defect when they made the engine. I bought the car just over a month ago and have had a rental for 3 weeks. And engine won't be in for another week. Thanks Chevy for selling a defective pos. I guess I bought a rental???? Side note: rental car number 3 got hit in parking lot hit and run on hook for 300 dollar deducible little spark probably would have been fine instead of the boat size rental wife got. On rental number 4!

Edited by Jesse Seth Speed

I guess I'm not the only person that's ever encountered this issue. I just replaced the battery two weeks ago after being unable to start it in sub-zero temperatures. I had difficulties even finding a battery because no one within a 30 mile radius even had one in stock. Meanwhile, I just hit 80,000 miles a few days ago. I'm due for an oil change and tire rotation. Yesterday I was actually going out to get the oil change not wanting to wait until after the weekend, but then saw the flashing CEL, parked, and turned the car off. I looked at the oil, it looks dirty. I'd imagine if that was the case two weeks ago the dealership that replaced the battery would have mentioned it (receipt says they did a 27-point inspection, although I can't find the sheet). I've had a CEL before, a significant amount of time ago, but not flashing. The oil was low on the dipstick so I added more and took it to the dealer where they found a leak in the oil pan gasket. I got it back, found an even bigger leak, brought it back to the dealer, and got a rental for a day while they fixed it better.

Considering I was parked when this happened, I haven't really moved the car more than 10-20 feet. The CEL didn't flash or turn on, same with the traction control light, two ignitions after seeing the CEL flashing. The closest dealership is over 30 miles away and won't be open until Tuesday, never mind necessarily being able to look at it. From there, it's over 130 miles to get home. Did I mention I have work on Tuesday? There are other places that are open Monday and could look at my car on Monday, but none of them are *the* closest dealership and therefore I can't get a tow to them unless maybe I drive my car for a few miles in their direction before calling a tow. On the other hand, those dealerships are even further away from where I live.

The icing on the cake? The place I'm staying is having water issues. I can't take a shower.

Edited by Mewthree

Just the flashing CEL is an emission issue...could be misfiring due to fouled plug, bad coil, fouled MAS and a whole host of mostly non-critical issues. Does the engine idle smoothly? Does it drive OK with normal power..if so, you can most likely drive the distance to a dealer. I am assuming you had the PCV recall done?

Posted (edited)

On 1/1/2017 at 10:27 AM, Retired old Gearhead said:

Just the flashing CEL is an emission issue...could be misfiring due to fouled plug, bad coil, fouled MAS and a whole host of mostly non-critical issues. Does the engine idle smoothly? Does it drive OK with normal power..if so, you can most likely drive the distance to a dealer. I am assuming you had the PCV recall done?

It was the CEL flashing and a traction control light. Manual says if you see the flashing CEL (edit to clarify: not flashing) that it's something very serious to reduce speed, avoid hard accelerations, avoid steep inclines, etc., although I've had multiple people tell me to turn it off and get it towed straight away to the dealer if that ever happens, once being the last time I had service for a CEL. The engine has a knock, which wasn't the case when I last drove it. Haven't moved it other than to get it in a place where a tow truck can get at it, and I could definitely hear an engine knock today a little earlier when the tow truck guy was moving it a little bit more to get it on his truck.

Edited by Mewthree
to clarify

Yup..CEL and Traction light plus a knocking engine..well, let's just say that the 5yr-100mi drivetrain warranty will be golden at this point...Knocking is usually $$$ without a warranty..could be a connecting rod bearing or loose connecting rod low clamp. Towed + warranty = good...'Nuff said..

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

Yup..CEL and Traction light plus a knocking engine..well, let's just say that the 5yr-100mi drivetrain warranty will be golden at this point...Knocking is usually $$$ without a warranty..could be a connecting rod bearing or loose connecting rod low clamp. Towed + warranty = good...'Nuff said..

Well, unfortunately it wasn't covered by the powertrain this time. They did provide handwritten notes though, which I really like.

P0300 code, the most with 5 misfires on the fourth cylinder, but also with all cylinders. The freeze frame records (what are these?) look normal. They pulled the plugs and they smelled "gassy." No sign of carbon fracking (guess on spelling) or tracking on the coil assemblies. They cleaned the plugs and put them back in without any misfires. Nothing wrong with anything else they looked at, O2 sensors and fuel (???) look good and they didn't find any injector problems. States that they "suspect fuel/poor quality." Got an ethanol service and new spark plugs as recommended. They also checked the engine air filter and found that it also smelled gassy and was wet with the suspicion being snow in an air box, so I also replaced the air filter as recommended. On top of that, I got a tire rotation and the oil change that was due. That means I've spent more money the past two months on service than I have on payments, and that's been the case for several months this past year.

I definitely know what gas station I bought fuel at the night before this happened. Should I notify a regulatory agency about the suspicion? Also, I don't know 100% what's up with the snow in the air box bit, primarily because I don't know where the airbox is. Only thought is that I had just dug the car up from the previous nights foot-and-a-half of snow when this happened, with the front bumper about a foot from an already-established snowbank, and that's probably where they came up with that hypothesis because I've had to dig cars out of this kind of snowy weather before and never experienced an issue remotely similar.

In the meantime, it ran well for the 30+ miles driving it back from the dealership, but I'm going to need to be taking it well over 100 miles tomorrow. If there are any red flags here, let me know.

Edited by Mewthree

On 1/3/2017 at 10:20 PM, Mewthree said:

Well, unfortunately it wasn't covered by the powertrain this time. They did provide handwritten notes though, which I really like.

P0300 code, the most with 5 misfires on the fourth cylinder, but also with all cylinders. The freeze frame records (what are these?) look normal. They pulled the plugs and they smelled "gassy." No sign of carbon fracking (guess on spelling) or tracking on the coil assemblies. They cleaned the plugs and put them back in without any misfires. Nothing wrong with anything else they looked at, O2 sensors and fuel (???) look good and they didn't find any injector problems. States that they "suspect fuel/poor quality." Got an ethanol service and new spark plugs as recommended. They also checked the engine air filter and found that it also smelled gassy and was wet with the suspicion being snow in an air box, so I also replaced the air filter as recommended. On top of that, I got a tire rotation and the oil change that was due. That means I've spent more money the past two months on service than I have on payments, and that's been the case for several months this past year.

I definitely know what gas station I bought fuel at the night before this happened. Should I notify a regulatory agency about the suspicion? Also, I don't know 100% what's up with the snow in the air box bit, primarily because I don't know where the airbox is. Only thought is that I had just dug the car up from the previous nights foot-and-a-half of snow when this happened, with the front bumper about a foot from an already-established snowbank, and that's probably where they came up with that hypothesis because I've had to dig cars out of this kind of snowy weather before and never experienced an issue remotely similar.

In the meantime, it ran well for the 30+ miles driving it back from the dealership, but I'm going to need to be taking it well over 100 miles tomorrow. If there are any red flags here, let me know.

Hey Mewthree,

I regret to hear that you are experiencing concerns with your Spark, and would love to look into ways to assist. At your earliest convenience, please send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and the name of the dealership you have been working with. Feel free to include any questions that you may have. Looking forward to working with you!

Best,

Cecil J.

Chevrolet Customer Care

SO!

I had some resolution!

I had the misfiring and CEL coming on. When I took it in last, they replaced the brain of the car. Since then it's worked like new.

I'm not quiet sure if I'm going to keep it because of HOW many problems I had and the fact that it took almost 20k miles to find the problem.

After a transmission reprogram, a new transmission, and a new brain, the car finally works as intended!