CEL Flashing, Traction Control Illuminated, Rough Idle and Hard Clunking

This was conversation I had directly with the GM complaint line 866-790-5700 when you call there, they assign you a case number and worker, and their job is to get the problems solved. She said that any dealer who states they cannot fix an item, and another does, is in violation of the agreement of the warranty. They are responsible to fix the car, or report it to GM and non repairable. At that time GM will step in, get the car to another dealer and see if it truly is non-repairable. If it is, they will have to "buy it back", however, if it is repairable, they look into why the 1st dealership couldn't fix it. I will keep you posted of any and all paperwork I receive. I just want my car fixed or replaced. I will tell you this, I will never take my car to David Stanley Chevrolet of Norman, OK, nor would I buy anything from them.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So if it has happened to more people than just me on a car that is less than 2 years old, then I'm starting to think it deserves attention from GM or at least a bulletin for the service techs so that

This was conversation I had directly with the GM complaint line 866-790-5700 when you call there, they assign you a case number and worker, and their job is to get the problems solved. She said that a

Metal shavings in the engine? No advanced symptoms, or strange noises? A trip from hell, and it is a major inconvenience, but fortunately, it sounds like you are dealing with a decent dealership, and

Posted Images

Well let the circus begin again, my car is back into the dealership for the same problem it's been having. Last time it was there for two weeks, the service advisor said it'll be even longer this time around. He's thinking it now may also include electrical as well as mechanical :(

Overall between two dealerships for the same issue, if my count is correct I'm leaning heavily towards 12 times at the dealer, I'll double check that with my service reports tonight. Past two stays have been the longest, first a week, followed by a stay of two weeks. Not to mention six or seven rental cars in the year and four months I have had the car.

I'm working with GM currently about this current issue, the end result I don't know yet. I have decided regardless I am getting rid of the Spark, I'm worn out from this problem that seems to have no resolution in sight. I love everything about the Spark just my car has given me a really awful experience. I am however going to stay with GM because I really like their products, my past two rentals have been a GMC Terrain and currently a Chevrolet Equinox. In love with both of them, quite a jump from a Spark but their so easy to drive and not wickedly bad on gas. Just the exterior skins are different between the two and the Terrain is a bit more expensive because of the few added features on the base model.

I still don't have my Spark back from the dealership, once I get it back, then I'll go forth from there :) I will say the GM Ambassador and the Service Advisor I am working with are amazing, makes this experience a little bit more tolerable.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Spark back two days ago from the dealership and this is the repairs that were done:

"Removed the fuel rail assembly and inspected for debris. Found fine black deposits in the fuel rail. Removed the fuel tank and fuel pump from the tank. Flushed out fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines and the fuel rail assembly with alcohol as per TAC instructed."

I don't know if this sounds weird :play: but I have a strange thought that maybe it should be running on premium gas not regular. No expert on this subject so if anyone wants to shed some light on it by all means that would be awesome :)

Edited by Riverspark

I think I have a whole separate problem now, after reading through the forums decided to check my oil and this is what I found. Where I drew the line is the oil in my car when it's sitting cold. I had my oil change back March 31, 2014 and the oil life monitor is reading 66% at the moment. Now I am exceptionally worried that something on a whole other level is happening.

3a1a19ba-b144-41fb-8ae4-74ff087215f0_zps

At only half way to the fill line with way over 2000 miles, I can tell you that you are within specification for oil consumption. This basically means that the dealer probably won't be allowed to fix anything, and you should just dump the car for something else. It may never get worse, or it may get worse after the warranty is gone, either way it is going to nag at you every time you drive it.

Give them a chance to fix it, maybe you'll get lucky, but I think you should start looking for a new vehicle and figure out how to pay for it after you take a loss on your Spark.

Think I need to buy a gremlin doll to ride in my car so I can at least see one of them ;)

• 2 months later...

I am having this problem as well, car eats 2.5 quarts of oil in 5000 miles, flashes check engine light and traction control about twice a month. The antilock brakes come on randomly as the dealership wont do anything. They even over filled the oil by a quart during the consumption test and told me not to check the oil level myself.

Edited by Kati Fisher

Your dealer wants you to just go away! You need to either find another dealer, or trade your car for some other brand. I went through three dealers that I wasn't satisfied with and then dumped my Spark for a Ford. You can try contacting our customer service people on the forum, but if you don't have another dealer to go to, it might not be worth the trouble.

I'm getting to the point where I think we need legislation to allow independent service places to be able to perform warranty work and that the manufacturer must then reimburse the owner in full. I have a shop near where I work that would have done a good job on my car if this was allowed, customer service is the only reason these guys stay in business! Some dealers don't give a damn because they always have another car they can sell, while a few dealers take service to the level we should expect.

For the record, the specification is 1 quart in 2000 miles which puts you right at the limit. Been there, done that, didn't even get a stinking T shirt to show for it.

I am having this problem as well, car eats 2.5 quarts of oil in 5000 miles, flashes check engine light and traction control about twice a month. The antilock brakes come on randomly as the dealership wont do anything. They even over filled the oil by a quart during the consumption test and told me not to check the oil level myself.

Hi Kati,

I would be happy to look into this further for you. Feel free to send me a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Hope to hear from you soon.

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

I figured this problem was maybe growing pains, however it's now happened a second time in less then a month.

1st time - CEL Flashing, Traction Control Illuminated on Dash, rough idling and clunking when put into reverse (so hard it shook the vehicle)

- Took it into dealership can't find anything, computer reads fine and was told the car can correct itself and that's why all these symptoms went away.

2nd time (tonight) - CEL Flashing, Traction Control Illuminated on Dash, rough idling and clunking when put into drive (so hard it shook the vehicle), pushed the gas and it had hardly any desire to move

It doesn't do it all the time so I don't understand why it picks and chooses when to do this. After about thirty seconds the dash is clear of the two lights but continues to rough idle and clunk. Tomorrow I assume when I start it up all will be fine again and the car will run like nothing ever happened. I'm going to pay the dealer a visit and mention this is the second time this has happened but now in drive and it is concerning to me because I drive a lot.

Anyone else experienced this or have any idea what could possibly be happening?

Thanks,

Brit

Yes, it happened to me too at 39000 miles with my 2013 Spark LT. The dealership replaced the throttle body two weeks ago. Today my car did not show any warning lights but was idling hard, rived itself up in park, placed in reverse and the whole vehicle jerked, I placed in drive (I had to get to the dealership) and by the time I got there 40 minutes later, oil had spewed out of the hood cracks and was puddled on the ground and the car died without me turning it off. I'm am thinking the engine blew and its probably because of the oil consumption issues I have read on this forum. I won't know the exact problem until they look at it tomorrow. The car is under extended warranty and now I know for sure I got a lemon. Made a call to Krohn & Moss lemon law attorneys this evening. I want a replacement or GM buy this piece of junk back. I'm scared of this car now and definitely will not place my grand kids in it. I cannot wait to hear what the dealership says. I still owe ten grand on this car and I am not going down without a fight.

Edited by pkat
  • 1 month later...

We own two Sparks. Both 2013. Had one since new that's Lemonade (now has 35700 miles) and the other was purchased used about a month ago which is Jalapeño(35200 miles on it). Both are serviced at a different Chevy dealer in our area then then the one we purchased from. Have had all the oil changes and warranty guidlines/recalls done by the dealership. They have always been great. This last PCV recall for both were completed back to back in the shop. Then next day the MIL and traction light came on one of them and stayed on.rough running and all the symptoms everyone had described here. Took back to dealer and diagnosis was #4 misfire over 900 times and had no compression #4 cylinder. Valve broken. Loaner vehicle given to us to use since it's still under warranty. It's been there now for 3 weeks. Had to wait on parts for 2 weeks. Timing chain was stretched bad too, and chipped tooth. Should have it back next week hopefully.All this is covered under warranty thank god!

Wife has been driving loaner car as she drives 120 miles round trip daily to work. Today I go to leave for work myself in our Lemonade one and MIL light came on upon startup, traction light on, erratic/rough idle. I shut it off immediately. Try to start again. Same thing. Took two photos, and one 20 second video of it. Shut it off again. Decided to drive my old 79 VW Bus to work instead. Always reliable...even at 35 year old vehicle. lol

So tonight after work I come home. Try Spark again. Same thing. So had towed to dealership. Now what are the odds both our Sparks of ours being down. Both still under warranty and less than a year old. Well we won! Not really. Lol All of us here are dealing with this..

• 1 month later...

I wanted to give an update in regards to how my Spark is doing with the issues I have been having. Well it went in October again for the same issue, it spent 26 days at the dealership (I think at this point I was at 14 times for the same issue, I've lost count). The Spark received a brand new computer and had a bolt shaved down, engineers from GM thought this would resolve it and was told to track kilometres driven and gas stations filled up at.

Last Monday Dec 8th, it acted up again with this ongoing issue so back it went and still don't have it back. I am so happy GM finally decided it was time for a new engine in my Spark. On Friday I was told it was going to take six days or so to get here because it's coming from the USA. I have no idea once it arrives how long it takes to install. I have a feeling I won't have my car back till either just after Christmas or beginning of the New Year.

The new engine will have solved this issue and now I feel like I have trust back in my car that it won't let me down somewhere far from home :) Took a long time to get here but happy with the outcome knowing now it should only have routine maintenance done on it :play:

Edited by Riverspark

Good for you! :) You have really been through the wringer, and have been a lot more patient than I think most of us would have been, but finally, light at the end of the tunnel. Keep us informed on how it all works out. Bart should be cruisin' smooth now. :superhero:

Edited by WaltK
  • 4 weeks later...

I really want to post I'm having an excellent time with my Spark, new engine solved the problem.....if it were only that simple.

I picked my car up with the new engine December 23. 2014. A week later was pulling out of the parking lot at my work onto a busy main road, I had enough time from the oncoming traffic to pull out....had lost power. Car was revving into 7000rpm range and still had zero go to it, thankfully I didn't get hit from another car. I figured this was growing pains of a new engine, plus being winter and it just needed time to break in. From that week on I had to let off the gas in order to have the car shift gears (again silly me thought new engine, give it time).

Tuesday January 6th. 2015, was pulling out from work, almost got t-boned car lost power again and sounded like the engine was going to erupt.

Wednesday January 7th, 2015, reversed into my driveway, car was a dead duck, gas pedal down wasn't moving anywhere (forward or reverse), not even crawling. Eventually it gained back some power to start some movement. Called the dealership and was advised for my safety to just have it towed to the dealership.

Spoke to my service advisor when I got there and he said it sounds like it's a transmission issue, even with a new engine this shouldn't be happening.

Here I am in a 2015 Chevrolet Trax AWD rental, waiting on word about what is going on now with my car, unfortunately due to the amount owing on the vehicle it's not possible yet for me to trade it in. Will I stay with GM once I can feasibly get rid of this car, of course I love their vehicles just not my vehicle.

Not exactly how I wanted to start 2015 off, opened another case with GM on this car.10388101_10155062570585384_6181173633400

Unbelievable!! :doh: You've been through the wringer with that car, it does sound like a transmission problem, but I'm thinking old school, a remote possibility, could be a computer issue. At this rate, they will build you a new car. Try and hang tough, they are going to have to find a resolution. Keep us informed.

Well I am new here but my car is in the shop for this same issue currently. They have had it now for a week and told me today it is a bad valve and gasket issue. They want to send the valve out to have it machined or some crap. My car has 34,325 miles on it and is 19 months old. What the heck? I think I should be getting a new engine, not some Mickey Mouse fix to get me past the warranty. I am so angry. The reason why I buy my cars new is so I won't have 3 recalls in the first 18 months nor engine trouble. I really think I want a Toyota! 👎

Edited by Vistainc

Well I am new here but my car is in the shop for this same issue currently. They have had it now for a week and told me today it is a bad valve and gasket issue. They want to send the valve out to have it machined or some crap. My car has 34,325 miles on it and is 19 months old. What the heck? I think I should be getting a new engine, not some Mickey Mouse fix to get me past the warranty. I am so angry. The reason why I buy my cars new is so I won't have 3 recalls in the first 18 months nor engine trouble. I really think I want a Toyota! 👎

Try contacting Customer Care located here on the forum at http://chevysparkforum.com/user/829-chevrolet-customer-care/ , send them a message, they may be able to help you.

Well I am new here but my car is in the shop for this same issue currently. They have had it now for a week and told me today it is a bad valve and gasket issue. They want to send the valve out to have it machined or some crap. My car has 34,325 miles on it and is 19 months old. What the heck? I think I should be getting a new engine, not some Mickey Mouse fix to get me past the warranty. I am so angry. The reason why I buy my cars new is so I won't have 3 recalls in the first 18 months nor engine trouble. I really think I want a Toyota!

Hey there,

We would be happy to look into this further, and contact your dealership for updates! We truly apologize for this, and certainly understand your frustrations. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership your Spark is currently at. We look forward to your response!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

Ok so here is an update;

Supposedly is was a PCV issue which caused an issue with the valve. Valve was replaced and I requested they test drive on the highway since I take a friend almost 2 hours away for Cancer treatment. Another code (anyone surprised) and then it was the solenoid. That was replaced and still not fixed. They called again today and now it might be a timing chain issue.

As of today car has been in the shop 2 weeks so far. Hopefully they should know on Friday what they think it is this time. What the hell?

Edited by Vistainc

I bought a 2013 certified Spark last dec with 8k felt good about the purchace at the time now am having second thoughts.

Sparky ran well till last fall, had some startups with a clould of white smoke from the taile pipe that cleared in a few moments, but thought thats weird for a new car @ 15k. I then found this Forum and started to see outhers with #4 fouling trouble, thought thats not right.

I recived the recall for the PCV valve issue, and took it right in, problem solved, NOT!!!

Jan 9 2015 leaving work Sparky woulden't go RPM's 3500 MPH 25, what is going on!

Limped her into Dealer and Service Writer Said she was in LIMP MODE, no real anwsers of what that is, got rental ok good home It's Friday

5 Days Later "I" Called for an update of whats going on, Writer said looks like ENGINE REPLACMENT "we will call".

Another 5 days and got the call Sparky was ready for pickup.

picked her up at 3ish that day. Asked service counter if their was any instructions I should need to know as the engine has been replaced, anwwser no I don't think soo. I asked to speak to Service Wighter, Spoke to him and asked if their was anything I need to know about the car and how I should Drive it, DRIVE AS YOU Had before. O.K.

Left Dealer, as we came to highway speed she was different, shaking not viloent but she didn't do that before.

At home looked under the hood sure enough new Engine.

Jan 19 2015 5:15 am 28F Sparky Starts fine but hardly moves in D 3500 RPM crawling, WHAT THE !@%#$

Shut her off and started again the same result. Crawling along and all of the SUDDEN VRRROOM we are off to work, 37 mile drive and all good..... Work all day then get in Sparky to go home, SAME THING AS THE MORNING, WHAT THE CRAP!!!.

Last 2 days have been the same,

Droped her off at the dealer and explained the above to the Writer, Had to get MY OWN ride home this time :(

ARRRRGGGGEEEE!!!!!!!!!! :sad:

Hey Whiteone,

I do apologize for this! I can certainly understand your frustrations with this, and would like to be of some assistance if necessary. Feel free to send me a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership. I would be more than happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf. Looking forward to your response!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care