CEL Flashing, Traction Control Illuminated, Rough Idle and Hard Clunking

I figured this problem was maybe growing pains, however it's now happened a second time in less then a month.

1st time - CEL Flashing, Traction Control Illuminated on Dash, rough idling and clunking when put into reverse (so hard it shook the vehicle)

- Took it into dealership can't find anything, computer reads fine and was told the car can correct itself and that's why all these symptoms went away.

2nd time (tonight) - CEL Flashing, Traction Control Illuminated on Dash, rough idling and clunking when put into drive (so hard it shook the vehicle), pushed the gas and it had hardly any desire to move

It doesn't do it all the time so I don't understand why it picks and chooses when to do this. After about thirty seconds the dash is clear of the two lights but continues to rough idle and clunk. Tomorrow I assume when I start it up all will be fine again and the car will run like nothing ever happened. I'm going to pay the dealer a visit and mention this is the second time this has happened but now in drive and it is concerning to me because I drive a lot.

Anyone else experienced this or have any idea what could possibly be happening?

Thanks,

Brit

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So if it has happened to more people than just me on a car that is less than 2 years old, then I'm starting to think it deserves attention from GM or at least a bulletin for the service techs so that

This was conversation I had directly with the GM complaint line 866-790-5700 when you call there, they assign you a case number and worker, and their job is to get the problems solved. She said that a

Metal shavings in the engine? No advanced symptoms, or strange noises? A trip from hell, and it is a major inconvenience, but fortunately, it sounds like you are dealing with a decent dealership, and

Posted Images

Today the car did it again but it was slightly different the check engine light was solid for 30 seconds but still clunked into reverse. This time however there was hardly any acceleration and the drive was exceptionally rough.

Took it into the dealer and the car coded and they found a misfire.....cylinder 4 had misfired 310 times and all others were found 0. They removed the spark plug and coil from cylinder 4, there was no spark plug in stock so they swapped it with cylinder 2.

I was out of town when this happened so it seems to be more of a bandaid solution till I can get it in to my dealership I bought it from. Trust me I am slowly starting to get more aggravated with this :(

I have come to the conclusion that if the CEL isn't on or there isnt a hard code, the dealer is clueless. It seems that the techs are trained on PCs and not wrenches. I've bought 4 brand new Chevys (2 Aveos at once, a Sonic in Feb, and my Spark) and the dealers and service depts are a nightmare. Never had even an eighth of the problems with Mazda when I needed my Mazda5 serviced!

• 2 weeks later...

I have come to the conclusion that if the CEL isn't on or there isnt a hard code, the dealer is clueless. It seems that the techs are trained on PCs and not wrenches. I've bought 4 brand new Chevys (2 Aveos at once, a Sonic in Feb, and my Spark) and the dealers and service depts are a nightmare. Never had even an eighth of the problems with Mazda when I needed my Mazda5 serviced!

Unfortunately your right about the techs training. And this is why my instructors are as hardcore as they are. In electrical 2 our most recent job was to diagnose a 2002 impala electrical issue; without a.scan gun...... Lol no.plug n.play for us

• 2 months later...

my Spark just did this, traction control light on service engine light flashing. if you take your foot off the gas in gear for a few seconds (above 1500 rpm) service engine light stays on solid.

also it has a stored PO304 code, I swapped the coil and plug with another cylinder and the problem stayed the same. if you diconnect any other cyl. motor runs worse, no change disconnecting #4 coil, I am expecting to find I have a bad fuel injector in #4, so to the dealer it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm new here. I drive a silver Spark 1LT w/manual and I love her. As I sit here browsing and trying to learn more about the car I came across this. I had this same exact thing happen to me. Hard clunking when shifting, very rough idle, little to no acceleration, stabilitrak flashing, check engine light, CEL flashing. I only had my Spark for a month so it kinda freaked me out. Well I took it in the next day and they checked it out and said that it was getting a code for a misfiring cyllinder. The next day they called and told me the problem was a cracked intake valve. After a less than desirable dealership experince I got Silvia (her name) back and she's been purrin ever since.

Update my Spark was found to have a cracked valve also. 37000 miles on the odometer, 7 months old. Has been at the dealer 11 days waiting on parts. Dealer has been great but driving the loaner car (2014 Impala) is reminding me of why I prefer small cars. I am used to 43mpg, so 22 mpg is costing me an extra $20-$25 a day. next week i think it is time to talk with GM about a better resolution. the extra $400-$500 amonth in fuel and the depreciation on there loaner makes no sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my Spark 2013 5M with 20K miles. Notice to all Spark owners: You need to file complaint my your State agency and the NHTSA. You can find all the info at http://www.carcomplaints.com/resources/advocacy/

We need to stick together and make GM pay for screwing us with a faulty engine and A/C units.

My Dealership told me they need to replace the complete engine assembly. Last summer it could 8 weeks to fix my a/c. I got the car back the day after the end of the heat wave.

I just has the same issue for the last couple of months. It seems to only happen when it is cold out. When I start it in the morning the car runs rough and has a tick in the motor, The engine light is flashing and the traction control light is on. I turn the car off and restart it about 3

to 4 times before it goes away. I just sent it into the dealership even though the lights were off. They told me the #4 cylinder was misfiring but everything looks like everything worked itself out..... Well until the next time it happens. I have also contacted corprate GM and

mentioned this very blog and they are keeping track and saving all the complaints about this issue. This issue seems to be more than just coincidence, I believe there might be an engineering defect somewhere that even if a great mechanic found what is causing the misfire

issue that it will only be replaced with a OEM part with will do the same thing. I hope all of you who have had the same problem will contact GM so these problems will be fixed in the future.

Just got this issue fixed on my Spark, along with a possible fix for the oil consumption.

Engine threw a code P0300. Misfire on #4 cyl. They removed the valve cover, and found the PCV system was fubar, and also found that oil was seeping into the #4 cyl and fouled the plug. They replaced the entire valve cover, spark plugs, and changed the oil. I got the car back today, so finger's crossed.

What they changed wouldn't prevent the oil from getting in.

I think I got the start of this today, traction control lit up and stayed there until I shut the car down and restarted. I might be down on power, but not sure yet. No CEL so I'm certain no code was thrown, didn't bother calling the dealer since they won't even look for the problem until it throws a code.

What they changed wouldn't prevent the oil from getting in.

Not entirely true. The PCV system could be integrated as part of the valve cover. Either way, it has been worked on, and I will continue to monitor the oil consumption. If it doesn't solve the problem, then I will simply take it back. I got a sweet Malibu as a loaner for the two days it was in the shop.

I think there is a glitch in the VVT system. The cylinder piston is coming in contact with the intake valves. I had a loud clunk noise when starting,Heavy metallic sound, after that the car started to comsume oil. (1 qt every 150 miles @ highway speeds) Dealership told me the complete enigne assembly needed to be replaced. Waiting for an engine. I would insist on having a compression test done on all cylinders to confirm there are no cracked intake valves. My misfire code was on cylinder #3. I don't believe the PCV valve story, All spark plugs would be fouled.

Same issue started happening on my Spark at around 24,000. They replace the throttle body and now at 38,000 the motor is one sick puppy and they are going to replace the entire engine. I hope that I don't see the issue again in another 20,000 miles. GM needs to step up and recall these engines and if they can't fix the issue offer replacement vehicle options.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought my problem was fixed, however it reared it's ugly head again today. The same thing happened as in my original post, so the car is going back up to the dealership on Monday.

There has to be some solution to this reoccurring problem, I'm fed up at this point :rant2: