Hey All

So I got a New LT the other day and the sound in the spark leaves some what to be desired. I stumbled across the forum last weekend and noticed most people complain about the speakers and how Sh*t they sound. For now they are okay for me cause I'm broke but when I get some more money I want to get some better speakers. I have noticed that people mention the Fronts are 8 ohms and the rears are 4 ohms. Seems silly to me but meh.

What is the output of the headunit and what are the specs of the speakers. Specifically the Frequency Response (Hz) for the speakers. Any other info will also be helpful.

Reason for this is so I can see what I'm starting with and going to. I don't want buy some speakers and they are worse (Not that they can be but you never know).

Also what does everyone recomend as a good set of speakers to replace with?

That is all for now i think

Thanks

PS my head unit isnt the touch screen one.

hmm interesting ...

most of us are either Euro or US owners.

but i doubt stock unit can push new speakers well. Although it would be a dramatic improvement

you can always check out the Kickers that a few of us have.

Infinity Reference are suppose to be the top of the line.

if i where you though id save up some dough to buy a budget system w/ a metra LB kit

Looks like the same radio as the USA LS version, is that a USB connection where you have the white cord? That is something I would like to have, even if it is just for power.

I see you don't have traction control, that's what goes in the switch area to the right of the heater.

[edit] I just noticed that you have a CD player, so this is not the same as the USA LS radio, we don't have CD.

Edited by Greg_E

hmm interesting ...

most of us are either Euro or US owners.

but i doubt stock unit can push new speakers well. Although it would be a dramatic improvement

you can always check out the Kickers that a few of us have.

Infinity Reference are suppose to be the top of the line.

if i where you though id save up some dough to buy a budget system w/ a metra LB kit

I'm not looking to win any SPL comps. All I want is to play my music (Anything from classic rock to dance) and for it to sound good. Right now I have got it sound ok with rock but dance just sounds awful

I was looking at the kickers earlier from a local supplier. For the KS40's they want to rip me roughly $100. Christmas Present maybe

Just had a look at the infinity's and it seems that the kickers can go to a lower frequency. Ill have a good look over it later

Budget system w/a metra LB kit?????? New Head unit? Sorry bit lost on that one

Looks like the same radio as the USA LS version, is that a USB connection where you have the white cord? That is something I would like to have, even if it is just for power.

I see you don't have traction control, that's what goes in the switch area to the right of the heater.

[edit] I just noticed that you have a CD player, so this is not the same as the USA LS radio, we don't have CD.

White cord is my iPod cable. It charges and plays through the USB and shows the track info on the display. I can skip from the radio aswell

So is that what that blanked off button is for. I don't think I'll be need traction control, it's only a 1.2l :D

Yea they clearly felt we still need a CD player in this part of the world

I think I would rather have your stereo, especially if it would play files from a USB memory device, that's all I would need.

Metra LB kit is the double DIN and cable kit to install a real radio in our Sparks, except you may have a totally different wiring harness since you have a different radio.

About the only thing I can think of to get real world wattage going to the speakers is unhook one of the rear speakers, and use a volt meter to see how many watts is going to the speakers. I put these in my Spark. Obviously not the best sounding speakers on the planet, but In my opinion, the sound can't be beat for the price.....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%26%2334%3B+2-Way+Car+Speakers+with+IMPP+Composite+Cones+(Pair)/4005251.p?id=1218449995295&skuId=4005251

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%26%2334%3B+x+6%26%2334%3B+2-Way+Car+Speakers+with+IMPP+Composite+Cones+(Pair)/4005312.p?id=1218449986365&skuId=4005312

I think I would rather have your stereo, especially if it would play files from a USB memory device, that's all I would need.

Metra LB kit is the double DIN and cable kit to install a real radio in our Sparks, except you may have a totally different wiring harness since you have a different radio.

this is true...

You might want to ask around your area either dealers or owner about your stereo and the wiring... Since you have a cd player there may be a difference

as for you winning spl comps lol that's what I mean by budget system get a cheap pioneer along with the Metra dash radio kit and a solid pair of speakers it won't empty your pockets

About the only thing I can think of to get real world wattage going to the speakers is unhook one of the rear speakers, and use a volt meter to see how many watts is going to the speakers. I put these in my Spark. Obviously not the best sounding speakers on the planet, but In my opinion, the sound can't be beat for the price..... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%26%2334%3B+2-Way+Car+Speakers+with+IMPP+Composite+Cones+(Pair)/4005251.p?id=1218449995295&skuId=4005251 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+4%26%2334%3B+x+6%26%2334%3B+2-Way+Car+Speakers+with+IMPP+Composite+Cones+(Pair)/4005312.p?id=1218449986365&skuId=4005312

for those prices I'd get the kickers since they can be had for 50 bucks just about anywhere and cheaper online... But this guy is in a different region all together so prices are I inflated I'm guessing

Edited by Lovgun7

In my opinion replacing stereos etc is just giving people a reason to break into your car. I look at it like this. Your current head unit has everything you need. radio, cd player, as well as an aux (iphone) plug in. I would keep the factory one in personally.......

No one on here has said that the stock head unit wouldn't/didn't push after market speakers with no issues. Once again, no need to replace the stock head unit....

Ok cool thanks for all the info. I won't change the radio as I like the stock radio interface and how it works.

As for the speakers I think I'll go for the kickers, everyone uses them here and no one has come back with any bad comments about them. But I'll still look around for some alternatives

Inflated is an understatement, more like ripping us off but if you want something nice you gotta pay what the price is

Ok cool thanks for all the info. I won't change the radio as I like the stock radio interface and how it works.

As for the speakers I think I'll go for the kickers, everyone uses them here and no one has come back with any bad comments about them. But I'll still look around for some alternatives

Inflated is an understatement, more like ripping us off but if you want something nice you gotta pay what the price is

for the record !

i did have 1 pair specifically the passenger side rear speaker pop on me ... it could have been due to the Stock system OR to the new system ... it seems like the stock system did it though now that ive thought about it. I may have pushed the speaker a bit much during my stock and tablet testing... stock of course doesn't give enough juice for the speakers so when i was using the tablet equalizer i was looking at the presets and one of the presets was too much so the speakers were over loaded and distorted to hell so thats probably what did them in. you should be ok though

lucky for me i purchased the 2.99 warranty from the store i bought them at. They let me switch them out on the spot.

I'm confused by your post. If i'm reading it correctly you're saying the speaker blew from the stock head unit. But I thought it blew with your after market one?!

sorry to confuse you but yeah when I thought about it... I never actually bumped my system with my aftermarket stereo.

I remember playing around with my tablet and a preset was way too much for the speakers to handle with the stock system and that's what killed my rear speaker

Ahhh

yeah when you guys mentioned the distortion when the speakers don't get enough power I kept thinking about it and it couldn't have been my pioneer since its the 2nd best single din unit you can buy

then I remembered when I installed my tablet mount playing with the presets and yup that had to have been it

• 2 weeks later...

There is a ton of stuff I'd like you to look up, but I'm hoping I can buy the service manual next month. The daytime running lights on the USA versions would be great, don't have my VIN handy so I'll have to send you that tomorrow. What I want to do is stop the DRL from lighting the main headlights, and wire it to some approved LED DRL units from Hella. Just need to figure out how the DRL circuit works. There is another thread where we should discuss this so we don't drag the radio thread off topic too much.

http://chevysparkforum.com/topic/1139-daylight-running-lights/

HI Greg_E, no problem, I'll explain you exactly how the DRL system works but for the Spark M300 models there is a few different system configurations regarding the DRL. like the South African models does not have DRL system as standard and if you want to have DRL as a accessory, there is few thing that needs to be replaced/fitted to get the DRL working. I like the DRL very much and decided to design my own DRL Interface module and so I built a prototype and after that I built the actual DRL Interface module, and I configured the system operation as follow, when the engine is started and running, ONLY the 2 front Fog lights, rear park lights (with out the number plate lights) and the Fog light indicator in the IPC comes on, the rest of the park lights stay of so does the illumination lights of the vehicle. If the engine stalls the lights turn off automatically and if the park lights or head lights is turned on the system just turns off, and when the engine is switched off, I designed a delay function into the system to turn of 1 second after the engine was switched off, and the hole system works nice. If you want any schematics or related info for your vehicle, let me know and I'll send it for you. The manuals that is available on the market is not as "good" as the GM Engineers design the genuine manual. I would like to send you my email address so that you can send me your VIN number but is it safe to post my address on the forum?

INFO from the GM service information:

Low Beam Headlamps

The body control module (BCM) monitors two signal circuits from the headlamp switch. With the headlamp switch in the PARK position, the headlamp switch park lamps ON signal circuit is grounded, indicating that the park lamps have been requested. When the headlamp switch is placed in the HEADLAMP position, both the headlamp switch park lamps ON signal circuit and the headlamp switch headlamps ON signal circuit are grounded. The BCM responds to the inputs by illuminating the park lamps and headlamps. When the low beam headlamps are requested, the BCM applies B+ to both low beam headlamp control circuits illuminating the low beam headlamps.

The BCM will also command the low beam headlamps ON during daylight conditions when the following conditions are met:

• Headlamp switch in the AUTO position
  • Windshield wipers ON
  • Vehicle in any gear but PARK – automatic transmission
  • Vehicle in motion – manual transmission

When the BCM commands the low beam headlamps ON, the operator will notice the interior backlighting for the instrument cluster and the various other switches dim to the level of brightness selected by the instrument panel dimmer switch.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

The daytime running lamps (DRL) will illuminate the right and left low beam headlamps continuously. The DRLs will operate when the following conditions are met:

• The ignition is in the RUN or CRANK position
  • The shift lever is out of the PARK position for vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions or the parking brake is released for vehicles with manual transmissions
  • The low and high beam headlamps are OFF

With the headlamp switch is in the off position the BCM will command the low beam headlamps ON. The low beam headlamps are the designated DRL’s. Any function or condition that turns on the headlamps will cancel DRL operation.

Hope this info helps you. Let me know what your plans are and what you want to change and I'll help you with what ever you plan.

Enjoy!!