Florida Spark Owners

• 1 month later...

Love affair is OVER.... too many problems with driveability and lousy Chevy service depts. After about 9 trips to 3 different dealerships regarding hesitation, lurching at slow speeds, poor performance... traded in TWO Sparks for one Ford C-Max. Getting 43.3 MPG so far and rising... very happy with this car....quality is way superior to the Spark. Enjoy little cars, but they are only as good as the dealerships that sell and service them. Would not get another Chevy or GM based on dealerships in this area.

P.S.: now I read they have a TSB for the same problems I've complained about for about a year and the service people acted like I was hallucinating. Nice....

• 2 months later...

Took my 2015 1LT to dealer here in Melbourne, Florida for bucking and lurching on slow take offs. I always try to start off slow until the engine is pretty well warmed up. Some times it does the bucking after sitting for only about 30 minutes. I really like this car and was even willing to put up with it when it was only once in awhile and not too severe. Well, it gradually got worse, so I took it in. They kept it over night and said it drove perfect. How about that? I also printed out the TSB thingy and gave it to them, of course they said it was up to date. So now I AM putting up with it and hoping it doesn't get even worse. The problem to me seems like the CVT is trying to shift back and forth. If I keep it in low till the RPM goes to 1000 or 1200 it is fine, but then when I put it in drive it bucks, and pretty bad sometimes. What a shame, it other wise meets and or exceeds my expectations. 41.7 MPG average so far. Really lovin that part. :)

I know exactly which dealer you went to in Melbourne.

I've been there about 20 times with my Spark for various problems, and every time I'm told it "operates as designed", and they make excuses.

Then they tell me that there is a problem, but there is no fix for it. :banghead:

The best mileage I've ever gotten out of my Spark was 36 mpg on the highway, but again, it operates as designed, and its the way I drive.

I'm waiting for the new cars to come out,so I can get a good price on a 2015 :ford: and I'm getting rid of this headache and not looking back.

Edited by Gossamer

UPDATE: I traded in my Spark in late April.... it is now July and I have over 6,000 miles on my Ford C-Max. Averaging 44 MPG in mixed driving. LOVE IT!!! I will say that the Spark had a much better turning radius and was fun to drive (not counting the driveability problems), but the C-Max runs rings around it in mileage, ride, comfort, workmanship, and I've had ZERO problems with it. Make the trade... you'll be happy you did even though you will probably take a nice hit on the trade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Miami. Where the weather changes  three times a day and people that have miamian accents don't realize they have and accent. People are rude and confrontational but they mean well, in their own logic.  

Must say that that getting tints saved me from this humid uncomfortable heat and now my car looks like a panda. 

Saint Augustine here...there are way too many motels & hotels & pricey restaurants in this tourist town. But the beaches are nice and so many miles long, there are always tons of empty spaces to plunk down chairs. And when it gets hot and humid in late April, the tourists are mostly gone, and the traffic gets better. There is a Chevy dealer, a Buick dealer & Cadillac dealer here. They all will service any GM car. The Cadillac dealer has free food, but prices are 30-40% more for the same service such as oil change or coolant flush etc. I think the warranty service on my Spark probably will be honored only by the Chevy dealer. But I will try the Cadillac dealer first since the free food made to order is very good.  The mechanics at Cadillac dealer are no better than the others. After the warranty period is over, I intend on finding a good repair shop, there are a tons of them here. So far the 2017 Spark LS is working like a well oiled machine. No leaks, no rattles, no vibrations, very tight steering, handles bumps well for such a small car, love the infotainment system and the rear view camera.  The CVT Transmission has only one slight but noticeable gear shifting jerk, when the car accelerates just past 40 mph. I am guessing it is the 2 speed gear box behind the CVT. Power seems to get better everyday as the car is getting broken in. The beach parking gets crowded on good weather days, and this small car will fit into parallel parking spaces which almost all other cars passed on by. I am very happy about the gas mileage of the Spark. It means more money left over to stuff my face haha.

• 3 years later...