So after waiting for H&R springs from pacific tuning for what seemed like forever (6+weeks), I canceled my order from them and ordered some B&G springs from Anythingauto.com. The springs were the same specs from what I could tell and I got them in about 3 days for twenty bucks cheaper shipped. I did some research on this company as I have never bought springs from them before, most of the reviews I found were from BMW and Nissan forums. The reviews were pretty good and most people stacked the B&G's up against the H&R's without any issues. Being an old Nissan tech, and working at a Nissan parts house now, I know how picky the "Z" car crowd can be, after reading those reviews I pulled the trigger and got a set coming.

The instal was really straight forward, and I hoped it would be, because there were no instructions or any kind of directions what so ever. The front strut assemblies are a bit tricky to get out and you will need a 15/16th shallow socket or boxed end wrench and a way to secure the strut shaft from spinning. Once you get the assembly out a little work with the impact and everything comes apart nicely. These strust have an upper bearing, dust boot, and mount built together that slides easily back into place. Once the front is buttoned up the back is two bolts and the stock springs fall out when you drop the dead axle. Put the new spings in place, jack up dead axle, install the shock bolts and your done! You dont even have to pull the wheels in the rear!! Once the car is back on the ground you will hear your typical creeking and a pop or two till the rear spring find there new home.

I wish I took more photo's to help someone else out, but it was late and kind of dark in my garage. Probably one of easiest spring swaps I have ever done, total time about 1.5 hours with the learning experience. The drop is imediatly noticable and the improved handling is amazing, right out of the garage the car is 100% more fun to drive. The ride is still near stock with a slight increase in road noise.

I will take and post more photos once the springs fully settle in and update this review. Also picked up a set of aggressive fitment Rota Slipstreams last weekend, but they are going to take a little work to get them to fit.

IMG_6502.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been driving my harder since getting my rims and wheels.

Ordered my springs today!

That's what I did.. my car is sitting with a rake like a 70s street machine.. Kinda cool but not sure if 'right'.

Nice, where and how much? Also will this wear out the shocks quicker due to the shorter length?

I got them from www.anythingauto.com for about 240 shipped. I found a 10% off code online just looking around. I have used this website in the past and have always been happy with their speed and service. The shocks will not wear out any faster than the would normal because I do not have enough miles on my car for the shocks to have a wear pattern yet, so lowering them now they will not effect the life of the shock. I have took it over some pretty rough stuff and no bottoming out as of yet. I did however cut the front bump stops almost in half to give the shock a little bit more free room to operate as normal before getting to the bump stop. As soon as I can find a decent aftermarket strut I will switch to those, but as far as Ive have searched I have not found one being made for our cars yet...

Did you have torque specs on the bolts or was it "tight enough?

Also are you calling it 'close enough' for an alignment?

Did it actually make a difference? (saw a guy on the Cruze forum had issues with his).

I applied enough torque (and a little lock tight on some of the bolts) Ill be ok, I cant imagine a torque spec making a hude difference on non binding suspension parts?? The alignment doesnt seem to be off at all, the struts do not have camber bolts and the top hat has no adjustment, which would leave me to believe the alignment is done at the control arm and tie rods. Seems to be right on point, but after the springs settle all the way in, I will probably have it checked. If I come up with any issues I will update you guys, at this point all I see suffering is my driving habits as the car now has a much more stable feel. :shift:

Nice, where and how much? Also will this wear out the shocks quicker due to the shorter length?

Bluer, I've had our G6 lowered for about 85,000 miles now, and the rest of the suspension is still solid. It's not shocks you have to worry about in lowered vehicles. It's things like bushings and CV joints that don't last quite as long....

How much did it affect camber? I'd always recommend an alignment after lowering any vehicle. Your toe could be off just enough to lower gas mileage and increase tire wear, but the naked eye can't see it..... I've lowered every car I've had, and aligned em all after the spring installation. Even if your simply replacing old wore out struts or shocks, I'd recommend realigning the vehicle

An alignemnt will happen in a few hundred miles, once everything finds its new home and is set in pleace, I will do a quick shake down and have it checked. Out here in California most of the roads have a crown to them, but as far as I can tell camber is very slight, and it goes just as straight now as it did before. As it is such a short wheel base car I will have it checked before I get new tires or take any road trips. On a side note doing this and the air box mod, my gas milage has been a bit lower than normal this last tank = 33.0 vs 34.2. I also test fit some Rota Slipstreams last night and they hit the caliper, but just barley... I few quick passes with the grinder and we should have any issues. Wheels are going on tomorrow! Pics to follow!

Due.to your lowered mpgs, im.willing to bet toe is.out a couple.degrees

Possible, but more than likely its be used the car now handles better and I'm able to drive it more aggressively, and I did the air box mod at the same time, and now it's actually fun to drive, and I have been driving it harder than I had during the first 7k.

Possible, but more than likely its be used the car now handles better and I'm able to drive it more aggressively, and I did the air box mod at the same time, and now it's actually fun to drive, and I have been driving it harder than I had during the first 7k.

I've been driving my harder since getting my rims and wheels.

Lol ya that'll lower Mpgs too

It's obviously not.pulling.gs in corners, but I was actually surprised at how well these little things handle

Deffenatly not pulling major G's, but wider tires, and a lowered stance sure have made a world of difference on this little car. Its actually shocking how hard I can enter and exit a corner now, has made it pretty fun to drive around the city.

I'm taking a break from the lowered scene. I've lowered every car I've ever had (4 total). Tired of bottoming out, worrying about clearance issues, not being able to pull into driveways, pulling into shops etc. At school we have the swing in type lift. We had to pull the Pontiac onto 2*4s in the front to even them to swing under it. That's when I decided ya, I'm good on all this lol. I sure will miss the increased performance and cornering though