Who wrenches on your vehicles?

I basically do all the maintenance on all of my family's vehicles. My dad knows how to replace an air filter and change oil, but that pretty much wraps it up. Outside of that I've always done all the maintenance and repairs on all the vehicles. Currently my parents have a 2000 Silverado (4.7L), a 2008 Torrent, and a 2013 Cruze. We traded our 05 Equinox in on our Spark, and we also have a 2008 G6. Just did full blown tune ups on the Silverado and G6. Doing the Torrents tune up around the 1st of Sept. (Plugs, plug wires, coolant flush, tranny flush, oil change, air filter, replacing belts and cleaning the intake manifold and throttle body) Needless to say, I do my fair share of wrenching on GM's. Not to mention electrical/audio stuff.....

The vast majority of warranty work from GM has a $100 deductible. If it's under a $100 repair, I just do it myself....

So who wrenches on YOUR vehicles?

I wrench on all of my cars. From pulling motors and transmissions, dropping sub-frames on a Cooper, to replacing all suspension parts on my Audi, to oil changes, N/A to turbo builds from scratch, axles, wheel bearings...you name it. I don't change oil so much any more since it is becoming cheaper for the dealership to do it. The rest is all me.

I can do pretty much anything that needs to be done to a car (or motorcycle), but I'm too damn old to work on cars anymore! That's why I buy new cars every 3 to 5 years - that way they are always under warranty. Now with the deal I got on my Spark, I don't even have to change the oil anymore (free oil changes for life). =o)

Good luck with that. 99.9% of warranty work has a $100 deductible. In my experience anyway.....

That's a load of bull. Warranty work is warranty work. You shouldn't pay a dime for work covered under the warranty, you're getting scammed.

The only thing I do to my car is check the oil level and tire pressure. I don't know a single thing about replacing car parts etc.

Edited by Trancer07

I've always maintained my cars. To me it doesn't pay anymore, it is easier to send the car out for an oil change, than to do it yourself, by time you buy the oil, filter, get all greasy, dispose of the oil, for an extra ten spot, or so, let someone else do it. Outside of fluid changes, what is left? Tune-ups today, consist of plugs, wires, and clean the throttle body, and how often? Too many delicate electronics, in today's cars, let the guys with the computerized analyzers play with them, I'm done. :)

No plug wires on our cars, it is coil on plug which eliminates one potential problem area. I'll do everything that isn't covered by warranty, but the oil goes so many miles that I might as well have the dealer do it so I know they can't try to get around the engine warranty.

Some of the warranties start to prorate after 50,000 so it might cost something on some cars. Its another slimey deceptive bunch of crap that the auto industry seems to get away with that no other industry can pull.

Smitsker that's basically the reason why.I use k&n oil filters. The nut on the bottom.of.em sure is.nice!

the small 2 buck thingamagigger at walmart for the filter remover works great to and saves me about ehh 3-5 bucks over that k and n every oil change.

I've always maintained my cars. To me it doesn't pay anymore, it is easier to send the car out for an oil change, than to do it yourself, by time you buy the oil, filter, get all greasy, dispose of the oil, for an extra ten spot, or so, let someone else do it. Outside of fluid changes, what is left? Tune-ups today, consist of plugs, wires, and clean the throttle body, and how often? Too many delicate electronics, in today's cars, let the guys with the computerized analyzers play with them, I'm done. :)

I like to get rid of weeds and such with my used oil, such a nice lawn :)

No plug wires on our cars, it is coil on plug which eliminates one potential problem area. I'll do everything that isn't covered by warranty, but the oil goes so many miles that I might as well have the dealer do it so I know they can't try to get around the engine warranty. Some of the warranties start to prorate after 50,000 so it might cost something on some cars. Its another slimey deceptive bunch of crap that the auto industry seems to get away with that no other industry can pull.

I'd personally MUCH rather see plug wires than this new age "computer stuff". If that particular computer goes out, it's gonna cost a LOT more than just replacing wires or coil pack..... My 2000 Z24 was the first "plug wireless" car I'd seen. Luckily I never had an issue with the spark plug computer thingie. That Cavalier turned out to be quite the car! She got totaled with 184,000 miles and ran just as good as she did with 8 miles! Sure do miss her :/

COP is a great thing, you don't have voltage drops from plug wires. Also, replacing spark plugs is super easy. When a coil goes bad, you get the cylinder missfire code, and are easily replaced.

Exactly! Don't know about the Spark, but one of my instructors has a 2012 Equinox. It has 13 computers in it. True story.... It's getting out of control!

COP is a great thing, you don't have voltage drops from plug wires. Also, replacing spark plugs is super easy. When a coil goes bad, you get the cylinder missfire code, and are easily replaced.

Except for Fords. For some reason, Fords will NOT set a misfire code if they drop a coil. It's worse too, because Fords blow COP coils a lot.