I am getting a strange, metal on metal, rattle sound coming from the outside around 3,500-4,000 RPMs. Sounds like a small price of tin or sheet metal type rattle. Normal? Anyone else have one? I just removed the air resonator last night.

Based on mine I would say not normal.

It is really only pronounced (at least in my case) when there are side areas for the sound to bounce off of (i.e. tunnel, next to tall buildings, etc). I have to really be listening for it...if I'm not in one of those areas.

Edited by respdoc

I still don't think I hear it, I normally drive with the windows down so I would expect to hear this if it was present. Have you looked at the heat shields for the exhaust? Maybe the dealer put a bend in something and now the exhaust rattles against it.

I still don't think I hear it, I normally drive with the windows down so I would expect to hear this if it was present. Have you looked at the heat shields for the exhaust? Maybe the dealer put a bend in something and now the exhaust rattles against it.

No..not yet. Presently trying to figure out the A/C issue (same as many others). Since others stated their's made the same sound (in the same general RPM range)...guess it could be another Spark "quirk" with some.

Edited by respdoc

Do you notice the noise when driving on smooth or some what rough surfaces it could be anything from loose or damage strut mounts or transmission and engine mounts all can create metal on metal sounds it very hard to diagnose stuff with out seeing it if you can share more info with me I may be able to help! Also I have seen instances of vehicles having broken welds which would cause a rattling sheet metal hitting sheet metal sound (this has happened with hyundai as I was tech there and spent plenty time finding the root of the sound) not very common though it is a freak of nature scenario!

I know this is going to sound weird, but have you checked your rear license plate?

When I took off the plastic dealer supplied plate frame, I replaced it with a metal one, and it was rattling.

After I put a piece of velcro (the fuzzy half) on the back of the plate it stopped.

Just a thought! :)

The noise is from the vibration of RPMs. Same noise on smooth and rough roads.

Not the license plate. I as well am very familiar with that rattle lol.

What is a good possibility that was mentioned is the heat shield for the exhaust. It really sounds like that type of metal. I am going to take a closer deeper look today at it and see what I can find.

Agreed, it's not the plate. It does have a heat shield rattle "sound" to it....I just haven't had a chance to take a look underneath to mess with it. The odd thing though..is that is it very "specific" (only in the 3-4k acceleration range).

Edited by respdoc

Any acceleration or only hard acceleration? Might be a bad motor mount letting the engine move too far.

I would say, moderate. There is a concrete bridge on the way to my house that has side walls, so I probably notice it more than most (if they also have the same sound)...since I travel that route daily and the walls help echo passing vehicle sounds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

I've also got some strange metal to metal noises in my Spark. I hear it when I accelerate and it disappears when I remove my leg from the gas pedal. It can happen either on low or high RPM. Tried to record it, but didn't succeed. I saw someone before mentioned my sort of problem here? Do you know what is that?

• 2 years later...

I had this very similar experience. Turned out to be the water pump heat shield. It's this piece of metal on the left side of the motor that is almost as thin as a soda can. Mine was completely disconnected and basically just hanging out in the engine compartment. I tried to pull it out but there were too many wires and tubes in the way to actually remove it. I just took it to the dealer and they put it back on for me.