Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Markerbeacon

With all this talk about A/C issues....

9 posts in this topic

....... what can I expect for heat in the cold Iowa winters???

I bought mine in early January, in the middle of a cold spell. The heat was fantastic, the car warms up pretty quickly also, nothing lacking in that department, so you should feel pretty comfortable, come the cold weather. I have a 2LT, so the heated seats don't hurt either, nice, but not necessary.

I only needed recirculate a couple times this past winter, the heat works well enough though it still has the typical small engine issue where going up a steep hill greatly increases the amount of heat output.

Great! Thanks! Oh and FWIW, I am having zero issues with the A/C. :)

Good to hear about the heat . I have been sitting here in a parking lot for near 40 minutes in 90+ degree heat with AC on only 3/4 and fan speed 2 and AC is great , nice and cool .

Markerbeacon likes this

Heat was no issue for me.

Heat is pretty much great. Was 11 degrees here in Ohio this week and my 2013 2lt with heated seats is nice and toasty

Due to the electronic thermostat control the thermostat remains closed until the engine has reached a certain temperature irregardless of the fluid temp. This heats up the engine sooner than conventional thermostat that opens and closes based on fluid temp running thru it. What this means is a short lag in cabin heating but when it does open, the heat from the heater core is much higher than cars without the electro thermostat because you are getting heat from a fluid that was retained in the engine (rather than rad) until it reached a certain temp rather than coolant flowing thru the rad almost right away. When the engine is fully up to specified temp the heated air from the now open heater core valve is very high at the outlet vent area...just put your hand up to one of the dash or side vents when car is at operating temp!..The reason for this is an engine at operating temp is more efficient so this system brings it up as fast as possible also resulting in less un-burned carbon in the oil to give a longer......well you get my drift. ...Sorry..always gotta add some tech details....OK...'Nuff said on that.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

I have to say that being this is my first winter in the spark it is the best car I've ever owned for having the greatest heater. The combo between the heater and heated seats is excellent. It warms up fast and keeps you warm!