Tommyspark, with the way you are approaching it, it's a good idea to keep both ends open to prevent suction in the event of getting submerged.

That being said, the idea of cutting open the fog light hole and taking the air from there would be the best bet, right? All fresh air, way away from the manifold. If you took all of your air from there and none from the factory snorkel, you'd probably get your best IAT temps? But, then the worry of sucking in water. Heck, up here, I'd be worried about plugging the hole with snow.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK after driving around with the 90 on the air box to pull in cooler air from under the car I can say it definitely helps. Its worth the little effort it take to remove the tube between the air box an

I'm 99% sure I'm going to eliminate the resonator box and route hoses to both dummy fog light holes. Cut out the fog light holes and have a dual feed "ram air". Kills two birds with one stone. I ha

If you make the extra effort to go under the fender guard to remove the resonator box, the tube can be left in place to draw cooler air from underneath by the wheel well. Same effect as a cold air i

Posted Images

This would indeed be the best intake setup; for numerous reasons. But a water purge valve would be absolutely mandatory! And yes you could easily clog it up with snow.....

But if done right, that type of ram air would be the best. The only thing I'd be worried about would be the stock ECM not being able to calculate the higher air flow rate successfully; which would affect the AFR. (air to fuel ratio) Our ECM's run a "commanded" AFR. 14:70 is just about perfect, so this is what the ECM recalculates to or commands the engine to run in the event it gets thrown off. With a ram air setup, especially at highway speeds, I'm not so sure the factory ECM could or would calculate fast enough, which would throw your AFR off which is never good.....

Edited by tommyspark

Well, it probably doesn't relate, but I know that the factory MAF for LS1 engines were good to 600 hp, even though the engines from the factory were under 400. We could do a lot of modification to the engine and keep the factory MAF on those engines. Heck, the factory MAF was ultra superior to the aftermarket ones.

Here is what mine ended up looking like today..... I bought a piece of flexible plastic tubing that fits snug into the stock snorkel and would flex to fit where I needed it. I wrapped it up in Gorilla tape.. I ran out of the HRT so....... I then drilled "relief holes" as I like to call them on both sides of the new snorkel. Didn't want it sucking in too hard where it is....

2013-10-24_10-37-02_406_zps9bb7c1e3.jpg

Edited by tommyspark

Just did a test drive to my pops house and back. 19 miles round trip, outside air was 58 degrees.

Ironically, my intake temp now reads 2 degrees higher than before. So about 2 -3 degrees higher than outside temps. There is a difinitive power difference between 2500 & 4000 RMP. And I mean definitive! However, Not so much after that. While cruising around 58 MPH, it took very little throttle to get the Spark to go. And with a little gas or a further push of the gas pedal, this is where you notice the power increase. Which works for me seeing as I always try keep RPMs no higher than 4K.

I did my weekly blow out (floored it) from 0-60 twice. The first time was wide open throttle all the way to redline through the gears. Honestly, I felt as though it ran the same as before. But under less throttle I got what seemed to be better times. (I didn't officially time it) I allowed the car to rev up no higher than 4500 RPM. But once again, you could definitely feel the power difference.

I took the highway route there, and the city route home. Pulled back into my driveway with an MPG AVG of 43.3. Even with the two 0-60 runs.....

Edited by tommyspark

I revamped the mod a little bit. I did a "string test" yesterday, and it was sucking in air a little too much/hard. I obviously don't want to suck in water, so it's now no longer actually down in the stock snorkel. It's still in the same spot in the grill, but now only rams air in.

2013-10-27_09-14-19_618_zps5f060288.jpg

I have to recommend this mod. It's totally legit. I guess the IAT sensor and ECM needed some drive time to adjust or recalibate, but now while at 20 MPH and up, the IAT reads exactly the same, to the decibel, as the outside air. While at lights, stop signs, slow moving traffic or idle, the IAT doesn't go above 5-7 degrees above outside air. However, it IMMIDIATELY drops back down right when the car begins to move/accelerate; whereas it used to take about 60 seconds or so. The more I drive it, the more power I feel in the RPM range I mentioned before. Barely laying into the throttle at all, the car pulls noticeably harder. Someone on here's going to try to deny it, say there's no way etc, but take my words for it. Definitive power gain. Obviously the Spark isn't running commendable 0-60 times, but this mod without a doubt helped. I can not say if this mod alone helped due to the exhaust work I have but some time this week I'm doing the mod to our LS to see if it's due to the intake alone. Now I just need an ECM flash ;)