• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK after driving around with the 90 on the air box to pull in cooler air from under the car I can say it definitely helps. Its worth the little effort it take to remove the tube between the air box an

I'm 99% sure I'm going to eliminate the resonator box and route hoses to both dummy fog light holes. Cut out the fog light holes and have a dual feed "ram air". Kills two birds with one stone. I ha

If you make the extra effort to go under the fender guard to remove the resonator box, the tube can be left in place to draw cooler air from underneath by the wheel well. Same effect as a cold air i

Posted Images

The warm air intake was NOT successful. All of my testing so far has shown that this car does not seem to like warm air at all. Today, driving with the warm air intake mod, I only averaged 38.6 for 42 miles. The air temp started at 44 and got up to 50 by the time I was done. There was some stop and go, some 50 mph and some 70 mph during this drive.

I then pulled over, and put it back to stock, but the resonator taped off. I then drove another 20 miles and averaged 42.5. The air temp was steady at about 50 at this time. There was a little stop and go, some steady 50 mph and some steady 75 mph.

Basically, everything I have tested so far, I think warm air is not this engines friend. Remember, GM made a point to SEAL the incoming air to the hood and grille. They also put that wrap on the pipe, near the exhaust manifold, which I think is an insulator.

So, I went the other way with my experimenting now: Stock on the one air box hole and cowl induction on the other air box hole. This resulted in an average of just about 44 mpg. This was for about 10 miles on a hilly route with an average speed of about 45 mph. This car seems to LOVE fresh, cold, air.

Below are pics of the cowl induction setup I built. Some hose, the neck of a weed killer bottle, a couple of zip ties and a nylon push thing to keep the neck in place on the car. I can put it back to stock in under 2 minutes and if I think rain is going to be a concern, which I don't, I can just undo the neck if it is raining.

PA156388.jpg

PA156386.jpg

PA156387.jpg

PA156391.jpg

So far so good. I'll be doing some more driving tomorrow, including highway stretch at 75 mph. If it keeps delivering increased mpg, I'll make a better version, with smooth hose and I'll cut out the section of rubber trim that goes along the top of the hood. I'll also get ride of the orange tape at the air box and make it black.

That should be a low pressure area so it would actually pull air out of the intake. You might be seeing an increase in mileage because it is blowing clean air up through an area that is normally turbulent. Cleaning up the airflow over the car could have a huge impact.

I did a 105 mile drive today. Pretty much a square, with a decent wind. Combination of highway and surface street. Average speed around 52 mph. Average air temp 58 degrees.

I averaged 43.3 mpg with the cowl induction. On the first leg of my trip, with the tail wind and then a cross wind, averaged 47.1.

52.5 is really good. I do a lot of interstate driving at 75 mph. I noticed that the mpg goes way down the faster I go. But, I'm not about to be that guy that goes 50 mph in a 70 zone to save on fuel.

I'm going to experiment next with making the wheels smooth. Start with tape and then decide if it is worth it to make some smooth covers out of pizza pans.