I HIGHLY doubt that would have anything to do with the mod....

Maybe not. Since I've only had the car for about 1,000 miles (and not all me driving it)...I didn't really have a good baseline.

Edited by respdoc
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK after driving around with the 90 on the air box to pull in cooler air from under the car I can say it definitely helps. Its worth the little effort it take to remove the tube between the air box an

I'm 99% sure I'm going to eliminate the resonator box and route hoses to both dummy fog light holes. Cut out the fog light holes and have a dual feed "ram air". Kills two birds with one stone. I ha

If you make the extra effort to go under the fender guard to remove the resonator box, the tube can be left in place to draw cooler air from underneath by the wheel well. Same effect as a cold air i

Posted Images

I got a little more sound out of the engine which is nice and a little more seat of the pants feel, but the biggest difference is now the car doesnt bog down at lower RPM's with the AC on.

The AC bog problem at low rpm's was very noticeable. Getting rid of that as well as needing less throttle to accelerate and hold speed are two of the biggest gains from the mod.

I had some 2" PVC piping and rubber couplings left over after snorkeling my 4 wheeler. So I figured, hey, that's perfect material to make a real snorkel for the Spark! So I removed the stock snorkel and used the PVC and rubber couplings instead. Now it's a slightly larger diameter than stock, and it's about 3" further into the fender well, further away from the engine bay and hot engine. I didn't notice, but my woman said it's way louder now. I told her it might be a LITTLE louder, but honestly, I didn't notice any extra intake noise. I'll report in a few days if I notice any improvement at all over running the stock snorkel at all.

If someone could tell me how to post pix on here, I'd be glad to post some in case my wording has confused anyone as to what the heck I'm talking about...... Whenever I try to attach pix, it says they're too large. Even if I resize them?!

Greg, that is the winter time short ram setup I had on the G6. I guess I sort of lied about it being right on top of the front exhaust manifold. But was still surrounded by PLENTY of hot engine air..... Built it for about 40 bucks including the Spectre filter

Edited by tommyspark

I was looking at it today and pulled that box off, my only concern now after seeing how you did yours is that this resonator thing is also the drain for the intake. The concern is if we are sucking air in through the drain, will it still allow the water caught under the hood to drain out?

Mine was such a loose fit that I can't see doing this unless the user make a hose like the above pictures. I will probably go back and get the materials and do this in the near future, maybe use pre-bent radiator hose for the job to see how I like it.

I had my buddy slowly rev the motor up to about 4K RMPs while I had my hands on the end of each snorkel, and honestly, these little motors don't "suck" hard enough to have water enter not only through the snorkels, but then the filter, and all the way through the throttle body. You'd be surprised at the lack of "vacuum" you feel even at 4K RMPs. I drove it after the snorkel install in some pretty serious rain to my dads. Pulled in the garage, and looked inside the airbox honestly worried that I'd see water in there. It was bone dry......

But I would definitely used a piece of angled PVC on the end like I did. Makes it that much harder for the water to get in there...... But you'd basically have to SINK the snorkels to get water all the way up, and through the filter, then all the way through the intake tube and eventually through the TB to the intake manifold.

Edited by tommyspark

Cliff notes because I missed 4 pages. Why are we adding extra pipe? At this point just get the Injen and be done.

Why pay money for the Injen? For a different style air filter? The stock OEM air filter and intake to the manifold are more than generous enough for the Spark's 1.25 liter engine. The only restrictive part is the opening into the airbox. Removing the resonator and using the already existing down tube to pull in cooler air by the wheel well works perfectly. It's shielded from rain or splashing and barely increases the induction noise.

Why pay money for the Injen? For a different style air filter? The stock OEM air filter and intake to the manifold are more than generous enough for the Spark's 1.25 liter engine. The only restrictive part is the opening into the airbox. Removing the resonator and using the already existing down tube to pull in cooler air by the wheel well works perfectly. It's shielded from rain or splashing and barely increases the induction noise.

You just answered my question. The only reason I was doing this was to get a little more noise. CAI/WAIs always had a nice sound.