I might be getting a Spark TODAY!

Hill start only works when the angle gets steep enough which is only about two places on my normal drive, all the rest of the inclines where I stop do not activate hill assist no matter how hard I step on the brake before trying to go. It could probably use a little adjustment to the programming to allow it to work on less of an angle.

Sometimes my hill start assist will keep the back brakes on for a second too long, and for that half second I'm trying to take off while the back brakes are still holding me still, which is why I find it annoying instead of useful. This is a very easy manual to drive, which makes it a good one for novices. I had to learn on a Mazda RX7 with a racing clutch, and a '65 Chevrolet pickup with a column shifter, both very firm and touchy clutches driven by cable instead of hydraulic. Some cars do come with battery wraps, the one I had only lasted a few years, so I don't think they make much difference in the south, but they might help in very cold climate.

Sometimes my hill start assist will keep the back brakes on for a second too long, and for that half second I'm trying to take off while the back brakes are still holding me still, which is why I find it annoying instead of useful. This is a very easy manual to drive, which makes it a good one for novices. I had to learn on a Mazda RX7 with a racing clutch, and a '65 Chevrolet pickup with a column shifter, both very firm and touchy clutches driven by cable instead of hydraulic. Some cars do come with battery wraps, the one I had only lasted a few years, so I don't think they make much difference in the south, but they might help in very cold climate.

The very first manual transmission car I ever drove was a '91 Geo tracker. That thing had a SUPER easy clutch.

Edited by Trancer07

It is an awesome color. I believe I'm starting to get the hang of the clutch on this thing although hills starts are still my weakest part. I tried doing a normal takeoff on a steep hill slid right back down the hill on each try, so I started to take my foot off the clutch more and give it more gas and I stall it. The ONLY way I can get up hills is if I use the parking break method.

I'm noticing that my AC is really starting to die. :nonono:

Edited by Trancer07

Ha ha ha. I took it out on a good long run today with my mom. I'm...alright...on flat surface roads. Starting on hills or any sort of grade is a nightmare!!! I literally couldn't get it to stop rolling backwards and stalled it about 10 - 15 times before mom couldn't take it anymore. :doh: I'm almost thinking this is more work than it needs to be.

I think I'm also having the dredded A/C problem. That engine is a HOT little mofo, which I think is adding to the A/C cooling problem. The condenser just can't compensate for the heat from the engine. There's condensation everywhere on the AC stuff.

My ac when its working super...freezes...long trips suck when it ices up! done it twice since i got mine,

I took a couple of practice runs on the open road today. I really starting to think I'm horrible with this transmission and starting to doubt myself. NO WAY is this thing easy to drive. The clutch is soooo F---ING long, finding the catch point is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. The gears are super close together too and it's easy to accidentally put it in 2nd when you want 4th etc. I'm still having a VERY hard time with hill or any slight incline starts. I've briefly driven a couple manual Hondas, a Mazda and a Geo that were a breeze to use compared to this car. If I can't get this thing down by next week, I'm gonna have to sell this one and opt for an automatic. :nonono:

Edited by Trancer07

Give it time, the clutch has very little feel compared to other cars. Also don't try to put the thing in the next gear, just move it in that direction and let the car handle it, this woks fine for going up through the gears, coming back down isn't too much trouble after you get the feel for it. I think to make the clutch feel better we really need a smaller (more force) piston. It could also come down to a free play issue, but of course we can't adjust that since we can't buy the service manual. :rant2:

I'm starting to get the hang of it. I took it out on a dead end road with a bunch of hills this past afternoon. I stop half way up the hill and practiced finding the catch point, letting it roll back and forth.

Edited by Trancer07

I'm getting pretty good with driving this car now. No problems on hills anymore. I'm actually able to start on hills to the point where the hill assist is enough to keep me from rolling back. It's awesome! Now I just need to make sure I'm not shifting to 2nd when I want 4th gear etc. I'm soooo happy!!! Great car.

Edited by Trancer07
  • 2 weeks later...