short throw shifter done!!!

^^ Stock I assume it was comfort and extra long for people of all sizes to grab it without a problem.

for me.. in 5th it hit the passengers leg sometimes.. shifting into 5th i hit their leg.

it felt like there was a pivot point in the shift like it had a U-joint somewhere in the shifter (it doesn't just felt like it due to its length)

the throws made me annoyed.

once again its EXTREMELY short on mine.. I'm still not used to it and hope it doesn't cause any tranny damage. I just don't see it being anything bad.

You have less leverage so your ultimate force is reduced, I can't see how making the top half shorter could cause any damage.

Now all you need is an electric pump to work the clutch so you can make a grab and shift system for this car. I've been thinking about it off and on, but haven't started to look for pumps and one way valves that I can adjust for leak down to get a smoother engagement after releasing the button. It should be a fairly simple job, but I haven't put any time into it yet.

Also now that it is off, what's the proper way to remove the stock knob? Time to start prying on that plastic strip to see how it comes out and what's underneath.

Edited by Greg_E

NO dont waste time I STILL CANT get the knob off!!!!! or I'd use it!!

the black ring in the first picture. the little indent is where a ZIP TIE holds the boot in there (this same zip tie system is also on our intakes where the "ram air" hose connectos to the intake box where they meet isa little zip tie deal. so i had to cut the boot and have all the top half still.. no clue how to get it off.. thinking might have to take off theoff colored (mine is silver) plastic piece in the shift knob maybe otherwise no clue...

P.S. our shifts knobs are EXTREMELY weighted.

Here's mine with a $9.99 O'Reilly auto parts knob. I think it looks more OEM than the stock knob. I was just guessing when I cut it, no direct comparison to go by. If I could do it over, I think an extra 1" to 1 1/2" longer would be better. But I like it a lot more than the stock length, and the knob is rock solid with no movement or play whatsoever.

o0xjlc.jpg

2rcu06b.jpg

Edited by gitsum

When I test drove one, the shifter would hit my leg in 2nd gear. The short throw would be a cool idea. I've been considering getting one for my Focus but don't want to void the warranty.

Does the short throw make the shifter less wobbly?

B&m made a performance shifter kit for my old car, which I installed. It didn't shorten the length of the shifter, it shortened the travel between the gears, and got rid of the annoying notchy feel in that car. Hopefully they'll make one for this car. I like the tall shifter, but I'm not a fan of the amount of travel between gears.

• 1 month later...

Since the shifter is done by short cables, we should be able to make a linkage to cable mechanism that has longer lever arms on the cable end, this would make the throw much shorter while keeping all the length of the arm.

I would assume the knurled part of the shaft is metal and the knob itself is cast onto the shaft.