MPG, how to get the best, what really works, what does't....

So how much is everyone getting? What have you found really affects MPG's? I only have 1600 miles on mine and my best is 45mpg. My low was 38.5, that was the first full tank and it has gotten better each time. Does the traction control make a difference with anyone?

Scott

Welcome to the forum, I am getting 30-34 avg., mostly city driving, with an automatic trans. I have just a few hundred more miles than you. I find the biggest influence on my mpg., is the stop and go, sitting at stop lights, etc. associated with driving in a congested city environment. I know it is capable of more, given some wide open spaces, but in any case, I am getting above the advertised mpg. rating, so I have no complaints. I don't see the traction control being a factor at all.

What kills my mpgs is high speeds and constant a/c use, as well as city driving in a city just as well known for it's traffic problems as it's music festivals. My usual average is around 34-37, which is still higher than the epa estimate for my conditions, so I'm still impressed. Driving 60mph on the hwy around here will get you horns and dirty looks. Google "hypermile" and that will answer your questions.

Edited by austex04

Accelerating from a stop really kills things, put the meter on the instant mileage and you'll see what I mean. Wind is another killer, especially when trying to keep highway speeds, much better dropping down to 55mph on the back roads.

reset your MPG average everytime you fill up to get the closest to accurate readings. All but one of our tanks have been within 1mpg of what was indicated on the gauge.

My wifes normal mixed rural route & running around the kids BS is mid-upper 30s. Any decent amount of highway gets much better. Usually I drive on road trips, which has resulted in the 45+ tanks.

graph7413.gif

I have gotten an average of 34.5 since I have owned the car. Onstar remote app will give you the info you need. I have over 14k miles on my Spark. I drive the crap out of it, or did rather. I used to drive over 100 miles round trip to and from work. Now I work much closer to home, and the months will catch up to the miles to balance it out. So far, the car is rock solid without issues or rattles.