A/C problem figured out!! - See last post.

For the people that have noticed this A/C issue, what is the date of manufactoring? Is this something on all Sparks, or only the ones in early production? I notice my A/C warm up at idle, but giving it some throttle cools it back down. Is this the problem people are expirencing? Becuase I dont really feel that this is normal.

Here's a thread on the issue.. http://chevysparkforum.com/topic/1038-do-you-have-cold-cool-cold-cool-ac/

up to this point, it doesn't seem to be unique to any particular build.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No the Internet can give you a valuable tool to combat stupid dealers.

I felt the same way, but up to now, I still have no regrets, I've never had as much fun with a car, as I've been having with the Spark. Although a pain in the ass, this a/c problem will be resolved. I

Our ac generally works great. But im starting to notice everyone in a while it blows not so cold...I wanna say like coming to a stop. However there are other times at idle itll freeze us out.

Posted Images

Perfect, thank you WaltK

I should have read the link Bluer101 posted earlier in the thread about the 3 problems. This describes what my A/C does to a T. Now I realize my A/C falls under the issues others are having. The temperature drops, probably around 10 degrees, once i am idling. But when throttle is applied it increases. Dealer is going to be contacted tomorrow and set up to be looked at. Along with a couple other issues...

Perfect, thank you WaltK

Dealer is going to be contacted tomorrow and set up to be looked at. Along with a couple other issues...

Does your car interior cool down? Let us know what the dealer tells you, regarding the a/c, as it seems almost everyone has this issue, but no one has a definitive answer. I don't doubt that there are a few cars out there with a defective a/c unit. My car also has the same issue, but it does cool down. We had 97 deg. yesterday, and granted, it wasn't spitting ice cubes, but it wasn't bad. I am waiting on going to the dealer, until I am sure this unit is not working properly.

Blue, I am experiencing the same a/c symptoms as you, and a lot of people here, but the end result is, the cabin does get cool, not cold, but cool. My problem is, if I take it to the dealer, I have no argument, it is working, although sort of half ass. I've never seen an a/c unit work like these do, but then again I've never had a car with 84hp. An a/c unit really taxes an engine, and I doubt were going to see Cadillac cool from these things. I am waiting for someone to step forward with an answer. If this is as good as it gets, then so be it, if it is defective, then lets fix it. I am nowhere near even considering trading it in, or dumping it over this issue. I simply am trying to find out, is this normal for this car, or not.

Blue, I am experiencing the same a/c symptoms as you, and a lot of people here, but the end result is, the cabin does get cool, not cold, but cool. My problem is, if I take it to the dealer, I have no argument, it is working, although sort of half ass. I've never seen an a/c unit work like these do, but then again I've never had a car with 84hp. An a/c unit really taxes an engine, and I doubt were going to see Cadillac cool from these things. I am waiting for someone to step forward with an answer. If this is as good as it gets, then so be it, if it is defective, then lets fix it. I am nowhere near even considering trading it in, or dumping it over this issue. I simply am trying to find out, is this normal for this car, or not.

Me to I love the Spark even with the issue. I'm holding back for a little to see what happens. I still have to bring it by for the defective recirculate motor. Right now I have it disconnected in the recirculate position.

He we go again.. The spark is back at the dealer with the same issue with the A/C. Turns out the expansion valve wasnt the problem. This time I actually took the service manager for a ride and demonstrated it for him. He seems to think the compressor is the culprit. Ding ding...round two!! As always I will keep you all posted.

Yeah, this is ridiculous all the problems you guys are having with your AC's GM better DAMN well put out a recall about this.

He we go again.. The spark is back at the dealer with the same issue with the A/C. Turns out the expansion valve wasnt the problem. This time I actually took the service manager for a ride and demonstrated it for him. He seems to think the compressor is the culprit. Ding ding...round two!! As always I will keep you all posted.

Shoot. That sucks. Maybe the replacement expansion valve is defective as well! Edited by Trancer07

There actually is another car that the a/c does the same thing as these cars, the previous generation Hyundai Accent, 2006-2011 years. I guess that's why this car seems no worse than my old one, because I'm used to it. I'm sure the Spark shares some a/c parts with Hyundai and Kia, or the same suppliers of parts.

Dealer confirmed today. Bad compressor. These must be a hot commodity because they said they are having a hard time locating one. Nice loaner car this time though. 2012 Impala with the 305 HP V6. It pulls hard for such a large car!

• 2 weeks later...

As some requested, dropped my Spark off last Tuesday for paint wearing off the shift knob and AC issues. Got a call today explains that they replaced the whole shift lever assembly(thought that was odd when it was only the knob) and they replaced the AC compressor along with recharging the system. All after the guy told me "The Internet can scare the hell out of you sometimes" when I was explaining my AC issues and backing it up with research I got off the web when i was dropping it off. Funny... Picking it up tomorrow we will see if its fixed!

As some requested, dropped my Spark off last Tuesday for paint wearing off the shift knob and AC issues. Got a call today explains that they replaced the whole shift lever assembly(thought that was odd when it was only the knob) and they replaced the AC compressor along with recharging the system. All after the guy told me "The Internet can scare the hell out of you sometimes" when I was explaining my AC issues and backing it up with research I got off the web when i was dropping it off. Funny... Picking it up tomorrow we will see if its fixed!

No the Internet can give you a valuable tool to combat stupid dealers.

FYI - 2013 LS Spark, 9000 miles and my A/C compressor failed. No compressors avaiable at this time. It's the middle of summer here and no A/C. I'm not very happy with GM. I smell a class action lawsuit coming.

Failed like you have the cold cool problem or totally crap out?

Took mine into the dealer today. They gave me a loaner because they have no idea when the part might be available.

At least they are being nice about it so far.

So I get to drive a Sonic until then. I actually had to turn the AC off on my way into work this morning because it was too cold.

The AC on the Spark is just plain terrible in comparison (even when working)

After 3 days with the new compressor mine is back to doing the exact same thing. The first couple of days werent all that bad. It was cycling but not as frequent as it was. Now it is back to business as usual. This cant be healthy for the A/C clutch cycling off and on as much as it does. As I mentioned before I am throwing in the towel until GM comes up with a confirmed fix. I just hope it is soon!!

You guys that are waiting are a lot more patient than I am.

I like this car, but not having a working AC is a complete deal-breaker for me in Texas. If it cant be fixed I'll be filing a complaint with the TxDMV for Lemon Law :(

I know what you are saying Lazerface but what other choice do we have? I cant understand how this ac issue slipped through the cracks and into production. Maybe the supplier of one or more of the AC components changed up the specs to save a dollar? Who knows.. Just speculation. Nevertheless I certainly hope GM does the right thing and corrects the issue. I have been a diehard GM(Chevrolet) man all my life and would hate for them to sway me to another brand because of this.

Edited by Classing

I have only had mine 3 days but have run the A/C constant in high temps . So far I haven't had the issue , I remember having that problem with my Smart car ,compressor cycle on and off constantly and weak A/C . I'll be keeping an eye on mine to see if anything developes .