A/C problem figured out!! - See last post.

Just got back from the dealer about the common A/C problem that alot of us are dealing with. Mine has a bad expansion valve. Part is on order and will be fixed next week. Hope this helps everybody out there that is dealing with the dreaded cold-cool problem. If the dealer tells you this is normal that is BULL$^)T!! Go to a better dealer.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No the Internet can give you a valuable tool to combat stupid dealers.

I felt the same way, but up to now, I still have no regrets, I've never had as much fun with a car, as I've been having with the Spark. Although a pain in the ass, this a/c problem will be resolved. I

Our ac generally works great. But im starting to notice everyone in a while it blows not so cold...I wanna say like coming to a stop. However there are other times at idle itll freeze us out.

Posted Images

LOL

Did they hook up gauges to test or what was their conclusion? I hope this is the answer and a bad batch of them. I wonder if this us causing the high pitch noise I get after shutting if the Spark. Maybe 5-15 minutes after. It might be the valve holding pressure and the high pitch is that equalizing.

That's the part used to make the compressor variable displacement. It's spring loaded inside, I wonder if it's another Chinese part? Looks like Chevrolet is going to replacing quite a few of those soon, or more used Sparks for sale needing expansion valves. Hopefully, the dealer found this by hooking it up to gages, and not just throwing parts at it, hoping you don't return. I encountered a Hyundai dealer that did that once.

Edited by austex04

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Otay Sparky" data-cid="5998" data-time="1370123286"><p>

I sure hope this is the fix for the problem.<br />

So far 2 stealershits have told me that the air is working fine (82° temp inside car on 90° day), and I am about ready to get rid of the car.</p></blockquote>

And did they test drive it, with a thermometer in the vent? Did you describe that it blows cold at idle, but cuts out while driving? Did you go with them? Have you spoken to a manager? You shouldn't have to pay another shop for a diagnosis when it's under warranty, but it's going there for you. If you lived near Austin, I could tell you where a good service dealer is at. Does GM have a arbitration process?

Edited by austex04

They supposedly test drove it (I couldn't stay to make sure), and I talked to the service manager that blew me off by saying "the mechanic says there's nothing wrong with it, and we can't fix something that isn't broke". I don't know if there is an arbitration process, but if the valve isn't the problem, I will try to have the car declared a lemon and just go buy a Fiesta!

You all really need to get a better dealer! I told mine what was going on.. The service writer-whatever he is agreed it wasnt working right when I described the problem .. He also told me that they make it a point to check every A/C in EVERY Spark before they offer them for sale. Was told that they have had to replace a compressor in one Spark before it was even put on the lot. Anyway they checked everything over and the expansion valve was the culprit on my car. You all must have some pitiful dealers.. My educated guess (duh) beings most of our cars are doing the exact same thing I would be willing to bet the farm that there was a bad batch of expansion valves. ? I cant speak for anybody else BUT I will surely let everybody know how my A/C works after they replace the faulty part.

Edited by Classing

I think it can be summed up that many Chevy dealers are buildings full of thieves who really don't want to work on this car, and certainly don't know how to fix this car. Don't bother calling GM, they are worthless! All they will do is tell you to bring it to another stealership and try your luck again. I think we need to start a list of dealers that really know what they are doing and really fix these cars so we can know where to take them when they break.

On the Hyundai forum, a member started a thread about good/bad dealerships with the city/state they're in. This may help those who are having problems with customer service, or getting their cars fixed. So far, I only have good things to say about Henna Chevrolet in Austin, TX. They took care of my tire issues within two trips, and the sales and finance experience was just as good.

That or they are replacing alot of them under warranty! If this turns out to be the fix I would recommend everybody get theirs in to be fixed ASAP because I am sure it will take even longer to get the part in the middle of summer when the dealerships are flooded with Sparks with A/C problems.

Nice find! So apparently they are aware, I guess a lot of people have bitched about the a/c not being efficient enough. As a good good number of us have pre 2013 build dates. As I posted in a few earlier posts, this is one confusing problem, I will wait until they have a definite fix, and bring the car in for service, unless I have to bring it in for some other reason. I would suggest printing out this article to take along, as you would be amazed by the miscommunication between the dealers and GM. I know we jump the dealers ass, but in a lot of cases they are being totally misinformed by GM.