Do you have cold, cool, cold, cool, A/C?

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going to start a thread to keep track of the cold/cool A/C issue that some of us are experiencing. Also we can post updates and possible fixes. Hope GM gets to see this is not an isolated problem. We

Wow what a moron

I totally understand your position, and what your responsibilities are as a moderator. I enjoy exchanging ideas with members, and don't believe I have ever tried to engage anyone in a pissing contest.

Posted Images

Now that it's got very hot, I noticed it a few times, mostly on the vents closest the side windows, but it still cools the car very well, even better now that I tinted the windows few weeks back. Unlike most cars, it doesn't disengage the compressor at full throttle. I have to manually turn it off if I need more power, such as a steep hill.

Now that it's got very hot, I noticed it a few times, mostly on the vents closest the side windows, but it still cools the car very well, even better now that I tinted the windows few weeks back. Unlike most cars, it doesn't disengage the compressor at full throttle. I have to manually turn it off if I need more power, such as a steep hill.

You are right, you can feel it at the sides more. Also it helped big time with the windows getting tinted.

I think tinting the windshield would help the most, since a tremendous amount of heat is generated on the huge dark colored dash in the sun. I wanted to do it with llumar uv shield or air blue, since they're transparent, but my registration and inspection stickers are on the windshield. I might buy a custom cut dash mat that's light grey to help that heat issue. Maybe they should change the dash color to a lighter shade? It makes it feel so much hotter in the front seats, even though the inside and back seats are cool.

alright ... i might have the same issue ...

US 2013 LS

today it was pretty bad ... AC wasn't cold it was just blowing fresh air my way lol ...

if i accelerate it got cooler but if i was stalled it became fresh air again

ill have to call up the dealer and ask if any recalls have been announced cuz its bad and summer here in socal is getting hotter

Edited by Paul Delgado

Nice read! Hopefully, those who really have a bad problem like Paul and Otay can print it and show it to the dealers, I think they both have seal issues with the compressors. I noticed the cool/cold last night, when it was a very humid 80 degrees, drawing in fresh air. Today, it was in the 90's, and it didn't seem to be doing it at all, drawing fresh air the whole 25 min commute in mixed driving. Mine is weird, it works better the hotter it is outside.

It's been brutal down here in S FLA. The heat and humidity has been unreal. The only thing that has helped it parking in the shade or undercover. But during the day it's on high all the time. At idle is get warmer than driving, then cold cool.

joehornback

Year: 2013

Model 2LT

Transmission: Manual

Build Date: 5/12

Problem YES!!!

I'm glad this is finally getting the attention it deserves from GM. Unfortunately for me, it is too little to late. I do like the little Spark, but between the a/c issue, the radio dissappointment, and the steering wheel illumination fiasco (which the last isn't a deal breaker) but the first one definitely is.

I originally wanted a Hyundai Veloster but when GM announced the Spark, it "sparked" my interest into buying one. I guess I should have just gotten what I wanted in the first place.

I want to say that I have really enjoyed visiting with everyone here and comparing notes/issues. I can only hope the folks at the veloster forum are just as nice and fun to visit with.

I wish everyone here the best with their Sparks!

wow... the ac issue isn't a deal breaker for me ...im optimistic about gm figuring it out and hopefully the recall will come soon. since its summer now ill be calling the dealer or emailing them the link and hoping theres a fix

Seen so many A/C issue threads describing the same problem. Don't know if anyone has found this out of wrote it on any of them, becuase i dont really want to read through all the threads and replys. But..... A/C gets cold when you throttle. A/C gets warmer under no acceleration. I.E. sitting at a stop light, warmer air. Accelerating, colder air. Go hop in your Spark out in the driveway and try it. Crank the A/C up, and give it some throttle. It will get colder. Why it does this? I have no idea... Just an observation i made.

Hello. I joined the forum just to be able to join this discussion and hopefully provide a bit of insight from my situation. My daughter's 2013 Spark experienced almost a failure to cool so we took it to the dealer. It has 3000 miles on it. They replaced the compressor and receiver, found metal shavings in the compressor, and they recharged and tested the system, or so they say. We took the car home and within 2 days we noticed the same problem others are encountering. Sometimes it's blowing very cold for a few seconds, then goes to cool, then almost warm, and then the cycle starts over again. It goes through that routine at least every 30 seconds to 1 minute. So we took it back.

When we took the car back the dealer tested everything to make sure it didn't have a coolant leak. It didn't. They tested pressures and certain pressures were shy of what they needed to be while others were fine. The problem was that the low pressure reading kicked the compressor out until it built up the pressure (which explains the cool or warm periods) and then it kicked back in. Once the pressure dropped again, the cycle repeated.

There's no fix yet. I was told by the dealer that they received a Tech Bulletin or similar and were directed to not change any components in order to attempt repair. If the system is working normally but not cooling properly (sounds weird to say, but closest I can come to explaining it correctly), they were directed to do nothing. They were told to wait for GM engineers to provide a technical bulletin and official fix instructions and/or parts.

I was unsure if I was being fed a line so I've spent a couple days on the phone with GM corporate. Why have a warranty if they won't fix the problem. But their official stance is they are working the issue and they believe they know which part needs to be modified or completely changed, but they need the parts to be manufactured. It sounds like we're at the pre-manufacturing point now, perhaps testing ideas to make sure they fix the problem. Hopefully the testing will be a short duration and some parts can be made to replace faulty components to get pressures within tolerances. At this point GM only asked for patience and I have a case number to follow up on until it is closed once the vehicle is repaired to my satisfaction.

Best of luck to you all. It's not fun, but GM is at least aware and working it. I'd advise calling GM to get your own case #'s if you haven't already. That way no matter how many miles you drive the fix will be done as a warranty repair. Not sure if it'll become a recall item yet.

Hello. I joined the forum just to be able to join this discussion and hopefully provide a bit of insight from my situation. My daughter's 2013 Spark experienced almost a failure to cool so we took it to the dealer. It has 3000 miles on it. They replaced the compressor and receiver, found metal shavings in the compressor, and they recharged and tested the system, or so they say. We took the car home and within 2 days we noticed the same problem others are encountering. Sometimes it's blowing very cold for a few seconds, then goes to cool, then almost warm, and then the cycle starts over again. It goes through that routine at least every 30 seconds to 1 minute. So we took it back.

When we took the car back the dealer tested everything to make sure it didn't have a coolant leak. It didn't. They tested pressures and certain pressures were shy of what they needed to be while others were fine. The problem was that the low pressure reading kicked the compressor out until it built up the pressure (which explains the cool or warm periods) and then it kicked back in. Once the pressure dropped again, the cycle repeated.

There's no fix yet. I was told by the dealer that they received a Tech Bulletin or similar and were directed to not change any components in order to attempt repair. If the system is working normally but not cooling properly (sounds weird to say, but closest I can come to explaining it correctly), they were directed to do nothing. They were told to wait for GM engineers to provide a technical bulletin and official fix instructions and/or parts.

I was unsure if I was being fed a line so I've spent a couple days on the phone with GM corporate. Why have a warranty if they won't fix the problem. But their official stance is they are working the issue and they believe they know which part needs to be modified or completely changed, but they need the parts to be manufactured. It sounds like we're at the pre-manufacturing point now, perhaps testing ideas to make sure they fix the problem. Hopefully the testing will be a short duration and some parts can be made to replace faulty components to get pressures within tolerances. At this point GM only asked for patience and I have a case number to follow up on until it is closed once the vehicle is repaired to my satisfaction.

Best of luck to you all. It's not fun, but GM is at least aware and working it. I'd advise calling GM to get your own case #'s if you haven't already. That way no matter how many miles you drive the fix will be done as a warranty repair. Not sure if it'll become a recall item yet.

Thank you for joining and giving your experience please keep us updated. As the the fix you are right they are working on it. I posted the Tech Link a few posts back. It has 3 options and only 2 have answers right now.