Greetings from the Pacific Northwest, USA

Hi!

My name is Tom & I'm from the United States. I'm also a future Spark owner. I was originally told by GM that we would be receiving the Chevy Spark in 2012 as a 2013 model. But as of Friday, 14 January, 2011, I'm not sure if the Spark will be coming to the U.S. after all.

In an interview by FoxNews.com, the GM President now say's, GM has NOT made a decision on bringing the Chevrolet Spark to the U.S.

You can read/watch the interview at the link below:

My link

UPDATE: 20 January 2011

Just received word from GM Inside News.com that the Chevrolet Spark is STILL ON TRACK TO THE U.S! Here's the link:

GM Inside News.com

Edited by Tom Lorbeer

Hi!

My name is Tom & I'm from the United States. I'm also a future Spark owner. I was originally told by GM that we would be receiving the Chevy Spark in 2012 as a 2013 model. But as of Friday, 14 January, 2011, I'm not sure if the Spark will be coming to the U.S. after all.

In an interview by FoxNews.com, the GM President now say's, GM has NOT made a decision on bringing the Chevrolet Spark to the U.S.

You can read/watch the interview at the link below:

My link

UPDATE: 20 January 2011

Just received word from GM Inside News.com that the Chevrolet Spark is STILL ON TRACK TO THE U.S! Here's the link:

GM Inside News.com

I hope they stick with that decision. :)

• 1 month later...

I hope they stick with that decision. :)

It's a well known fact that customers in US prefer large cars, and when the gas price was up-up in the sky even Penske managed to sell a few thousands Smart cars, but now when the gas price is lower the most selling type of vehicle is the SUV, so GM is thinking the thing all over again.

It's a well known fact that customers in US prefer large cars, and when the gas price was up-up in the sky even Penske managed to sell a few thousands Smart cars, but now when the gas price is lower the most selling type of vehicle is the SUV, so GM is thinking the thing all over again.

In some places (Southern California), gas is now $5 a gallon! Where I live it's flirting near $4 a gallon.

I think the US has been "programed" to large cars because that's all Detroit knows what to build. Plus globally, the US has cheap gas when compared to Europe and Asia. Detroit is very reluctant to build small cars. The 1980's were proof of that. As soon as gas became cheap, most US made small cars were abandoned along with the CAFE and the Hummer was born.

I'm glad our current President reinstated the CAFE because we need it to increase our gas mileage & ween us off of using so much oil.

Smart along with the Chevy Spark are designed as "City Cars" for tight, urban driving conditions. I have a fortwo cabrio & can't wait for the Spark to become available here so I can trade in my smart car! The main problem with the smart fortwo is it only seats 2. The US version of the Spark seats 4 (The European version seats 5). Highway mileage on the smart is 41mpg while the Spark is expected to be around 45mpg.

With Fiat bringing the 500 into Chrysler showrooms & the high cost of gas, I think for people who want an urban commuter car or just a second car, the Spark will fit that slot nicely!

BTW: Penske will be relinquishing stewardship of the smart brand as Daimler/Mercedes-Benz will be taking full ownership/distributorship sometime during the summer here in the US. My understanding is MB needs to increase their overall MPG ratings and by including smart in their portfolio, it will do just that.

In some places (Southern California), gas is now $5 a gallon! Where I live it's flirting near $4 a gallon.

I think the US has been "programed" to large cars because that's all Detroit knows what to build. Plus globally, the US has cheap gas when compared to Europe and Asia. Detroit is very reluctant to build small cars. The 1980's were proof of that. As soon as gas became cheap, most US made small cars were abandoned along with the CAFE and the Hummer was born.

I'm glad our current President reinstated the CAFE because we need it to increase our gas mileage & ween us off of using so much oil.

Smart along with the Chevy Spark are designed as "City Cars" for tight, urban driving conditions. I have a fortwo cabrio & can't wait for the Spark to become available here so I can trade in my smart car! The main problem with the smart fortwo is it only seats 2. The US version of the Spark seats 4 (The European version seats 5). Highway mileage on the smart is 41mpg while the Spark is expected to be around 45mpg.

With Fiat bringing the 500 into Chrysler showrooms & the high cost of gas, I think for people who want an urban commuter car or just a second car, the Spark will fit that slot nicely!

BTW: Penske will be relinquishing stewardship of the smart brand as Daimler/Mercedes-Benz will be taking full ownership/distributorship sometime during the summer here in the US. My understanding is MB needs to increase their overall MPG ratings and by including smart in their portfolio, it will do just that.

My wife has wanted a Smart since our trips to the E.U. when she first saw one. It is nicely suited to small towns in Austria and the like.

The small micro cars like the Spark will be a huge hit here - they just need to get it over here.

Rob

• 5 weeks later...